The Most Famous Scene in Movie History

Campfire_Burning

So what's the most famous scene in movie history?

I was having a think about this last night and decided it was probably the shower scene from Psycho. It has the distinction of the entire scene being famous, rather than just a line or image, as well as having probably the second most recognisable musical motif in movie soundtracks (it takes three or four notes to recognise it, as opposed to two for the Jaws shark motif and five for the Close Encounters interplanetary handshake). Most of the shots the scene comprises of are instantly recognisable - the blood moving towards the plug hole, the under shot of the shower head. It doesn't have any dialogue, but it doesn't need it. And, of course, it's been endlessly parodied.

The only scenes I can think of that might come close are the Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader lightsaber battle from the end of the Empire Strikes Back (culminating in that twist), and maybe the final scene from Gone With the Wind ("Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." "After all, tomorrow is another day" followed by the theme kicking in).

Other very famous scenes: The horse's head from The Godfather, the magical bike ride from ET: The Extra-Terrestrial, the final scene from Casablanca, the opening of Citizen Kane with the snowglobe and Kane's dying words, the beach scene from Jaws, the rooftop shoot-out from The Matrix, the ballroom scene from Beauty and the Beast.

Any other suggestions?

This is tough. It's likely to be something which people can quote or are at least familiar with regardless of whether they've seen the film or not.

Some good suggestions here, but some bizarre ones as well. I doubt many people would be instantly familiar with that Pulp Fiction scene for instance. And I think the sharks eye view of the kid on the lilo is a much more recognisable scene from Jaws.

I think stuff like the alien chestburster, the ending of Casablanca and the Psycho shower scene are much closer to the mark.

Hmmm most famous scene. I'm thinking Marilyn Monroe's dress blowing up in The Seven Year Itch. It's not enough to just be famous, but it's pretty damned iconic as well.

This has got to be up there but maybe it isn't counted because I bet a large percentage of people wouldn't know the name of the film it comes from.

It is probably between the shower scene in Psycho or the flying bike section in ET.

Hmmm most famous scene. I'm thinking Marilyn Monroe's dress blowing up in The Seven Year Itch. It's not enough to just be famous, but it's pretty damned iconic as well.
This has got to be up there but maybe it isn't counted because I bet a large percentage of people wouldn't know the name of the film it comes from.

I didn't even know that was from a film (thought it was just for a photoshoot), which is probably an arguement both ways (transcended from merely being a scene in a film to an iconic image in its own right VS been diluted so far it's no longer recognisable as a scene in a film).