IGNORED

Infinite Undiscovery Xbox 360

Janski

It's worth more than 5/10, IMO. So far, I'd give it probably a 6/7.

I'm on Disc 2 after 12 hours and about to venture forth to Dias. Being an RPG n00b, I had Monk's Charm equipped on one of my party, so it stopped Ed levelling up, but I summise at one point, I'll have to grind to get to a decent level with everyone anyway, especially for the latter part of the game.

I can't see the review here, but I assume the lack of save points is a bit of a stickler? I read that towards the end of the game, they get fewer and fewer, which doesn't bode well.

In fact, one such section

The Seraphic Gate apparently, see's you doing battle with 5/6 bosses and NO save points in between. :blink:

Actually, the review didn't mention save points at all.

That spoilered bit - is that a bonus dungeon? tri-Ace always have ridiculous dungeons. In fact, the ridiculously ridiculously difficult bonus dungeons always have to be completed 10 times for the ultimate reward too. It's like they only make games for masochists...

Every time I play this sort real time RPG I pine for strict turn based action (or best of all the FF XII gambits). Must be some sort of control freak at heart.

Dialling expectations down to very low levels at the outset probably helps with this but in truth its not too bad so far.

Fuck it, EG are right, 5/10 is about right for this.

12 hours wasted on this, got upto

the Queen Spider

in Dias and the lack of save point has killed this stone-dead for me, and from what I know, it only gets worse.

Balls to it I say, it'll end up an exercise in frustration. Sold.

Every time I play this sort real time RPG I pine for strict turn based action (or best of all the FF XII gambits). Must be some sort of control freak at heart.

Dialling expectations down to very low levels at the outset probably helps with this but in truth its not too bad so far.

I think I was hoping for it to be simular to Kingdom Hearts. Im more a fan of that type of rpg but i do also like turn basesd, its just random battles are a little annoying.

I got to the first chain last night and I have no idea what happened. There seemed to be a woman on top of a ball who was powering up her pawn and needed to be attacked by Aya, so after some faffing about I was getting organised to link with Aya and do this (Aya having died early doors) when to my surprise the whole battle seemed to be over. I can only assume Sigmund was doing something significant on the other side of the battlefield. Very odd.

I got to the first chain last night and I have no idea what happened. There seemed to be a woman on top of a ball who was powering up her pawn and needed to be attacked by Aya, so after some faffing about I was getting organised to link with Aya and do this (Aya having died early doors) when to my surprise the whole battle seemed to be over. I can only assume Sigmund was doing something significant on the other side of the battlefield. Very odd.

For the first few "chain boss" fights you're meant to take out the nearby minions (not sure about power-up woman) while Sigmund bashes the big boss.

It's a bit dull.

Who could think the section where you have to get the bat and the snake to the door was a good idea?

Abysmal game.

That's the low point so far - I wasted some time luring the monsters into the paved area and killing them. Hang on a minute, I didn't actually waste any time since every kill earns gold and exp.

Taking that into account I have put 12 hours on and not got to the end of the first disc - it always amazes me how quickly some folk rush through these games and then whinge about how short they are.

Anyway, I am quite enjoying this now, although as with any JRPG you have to have a couple of hours available to play whenever you start a new area. It's also old skool in the need to talk to everyone at every opportunity and to remember where you have to go next & any sidequests you have picked up (why is there never a journal in these games?)

Speaking of areas, they are large and, as far as I can tell there are no loading screens whatsover. The maps are good too.

Playing this in an unsophisticated way at present - selecting a balanced party and letting them get on with it basically whilst mashing the Capell combos (party members will squander expensive potions if there is no white mage on board so include a healer at all times). It remains to be seen if this will do later on in the game. I like the way you never have quite enough cash to upgrade everyone's gear but the synthesis section seems a bit tacked on at present.

Anyway, I am quite enjoying this now, although as with any JRPG you have to have a couple of hours available to play whenever you start a new area.

My biggest beef with it so far to be honest. Why the hell do they have so few save spots? I don't like wavering about whether to play or not just because I don't know how long the next game section is going to be.

It's also old skool in the need to talk to everyone at every opportunity and to remember where you have to go next & any sidequests you have picked up (why is there never a journal in these games?)

I've been trying to figure this out for years now. Not only is it more irritating to have to remember quests, especially when months may go by between play sessions, it's also a lot less satisfying when you complete them. A quest book where the quest titles get crossed off, get checkmarks beside them, etc., is so much more rewarding.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here finished this? I seem to have got involved in the run in to cutting the final chain without adequate supplies of potions and may need to backtrack to an earlier save to remedy this. Can anyone tell me how many enemy rooms are encountered in the

underwater palace

before the main battle? Healing spells take too long in these battles.

It's at this stage of the game that the lack of precise control over your team members is telling - exactly the same thing happened to me with Star Ocean 3 at the end of that game where there was a two stage boss fight following some pretty tough sub bosses and I eventually gave up that one. In fact this game is probably worse in this respect since you only control one character - a melee fighter - and if you stay back to heal and support you risk the battles being dragged on far too long using a ton of potions but if you get close up and killed you can't rely on your team mates to revive you. It's very frustrating when you don't really know why you failed or how to improve matters next time because everything happens so fast - in one of the rooms the party died in seconds despite being level 48+ I think.

I've been playing this a bit and it has grown on me, which to be honest took far too long really but I now quite enjoy the creation of items, the real time fights are quite entertaining once you get new powers but the storyline is just balls and the voice acting is terrible.

I also think some of the locations (especially the towns, have almost been intentionally badly made, there's some places where there's like an indentation in a wall, with possibly a courtyard in front or something but there's a massive invisible wall that you can't get past for no given reason at all. They may as well have made the wall longer. There's also another warehouse in another city with a broken wall which is about as wide as three of your party that you can't walk through but a door right next to the hole. It's just odd, why have the hole there? It just makes the game look totally silly because you can't pass through the hole.

Lost Odyssey is a lot better, I really hope the other Tri-Ace games are better than this as well.

Anyone here finished this? I seem to have got involved in the run in to cutting the final chain without adequate supplies of potions and may need to backtrack to an earlier save to remedy this. Can anyone tell me how many enemy rooms are encountered in the

underwater palace

before the main battle? Healing spells take too long in these battles.

I think their's 6/7 rooms on the way up. You get a save point and Genma before you get to the chain, so you can rest and buy stuff.

I've been playing this a bit and it has grown on me, which to be honest took far too long really but I now quite enjoy the creation of items, the real time fights are quite entertaining once you get new powers but the storyline is just balls and the voice acting is terrible.

I also think some of the locations (especially the towns, have almost been intentionally badly made, there's some places where there's like an indentation in a wall, with possibly a courtyard in front or something but there's a massive invisible wall that you can't get past for no given reason at all. They may as well have made the wall longer. There's also another warehouse in another city with a broken wall which is about as wide as three of your party that you can't walk through but a door right next to the hole. It's just odd, why have the hole there? It just makes the game look totally silly because you can't pass through the hole.

Lost Odyssey is a lot better, I really hope the other Tri-Ace games are better than this as well.

Lost Odyssey is a much better game IMO - larger in scope, with higher, even in places sumptious, production values and a better combat mechanic.

IU is enjoyable in places - where you have 2 or 3 teams charging through a structure following parallel paths or all converging on a single hapless sub boss, but is far too fiddly in places - has anyone the patience to link up with all the characters one at a time in the towns and thereby open up all the sub quests etc.? I don't and I have spent something like 25 hours with the game. I also dislike the proliferation of secondary characters late in the game which you hardly have time to get to know at all.

As for the invisible walls it seems to be an accepted feature of the genre - towns are simply vessels in which to find chests, buy/sell/craft items and speak to large numbers of NPCs in the hope of picking up subquests or minigames. It's all a bit laughable really and the limitations can seem very crude when there is not a lot of money to spend on crafting the detail in the locations. I know its all part of the well-established rhythm of JRPGs and can be charming when well done, but I have to say I prefer the WRPG model in this respect. At least there are no loading times when you enter a building in this game.

I think their's 6/7 rooms on the way up. You get a save point and Genma before you get to the chain, so you can rest and buy stuff.

Thanks for that - useful to know. I want to knock this on the head to focus full time on the Witcher.

Lost Odyssey is a much better game IMO - larger in scope, with higher, even in places sumptious, production values and a better combat mechanic.

IU is enjoyable in places - where you have 2 or 3 teams charging through a structure following parallel paths or all converging on a single hapless sub boss, but is far too fiddly in places - has anyone the patience to link up with all the characters one at a time in the towns and thereby open up all the sub quests etc.? I don't and I have spent something like 25 hours with the game. I also dislike the proliferation of secondary characters late in the game which you hardly have time to get to know at all.

As for the invisible walls it seems to be an accepted feature of the genre - towns are simply vessels in which to find chests, buy/sell/craft items and speak to large numbers of NPCs in the hope of picking up subquests or minigames. It's all a bit laughable really and the limitations can seem very crude when there is not a lot of money to spend on crafting the detail in the locations. I know its all part of the well-established rhythm of JRPGs and can be charming when well done, but I have to say I prefer the WRPG model in this respect. At least there are no loading times when you enter a building in this game.

I do like split path nonsense and seeing your team beat up the other guys and what have you, all very clever and quite immersive. The thing with the linking in towns is daft, there normally aren't any obvious clues as to who would be good to use to speak to which villager, I think I've had two 'extra' bits of dialogue (which got me maybe an item but nothing that spectacular) that I found purely by random. It's also annoying that Rico is quite often useful for some sort of speaking to animals bit of storyline but they don't always do anything and again, it's almost impossible to know what animal might generate a story / item whatever and what one may not.

Does anyone know if you go back to a lot of the items because I'm wondering if I should walk around with Rico more often after finding a secret room really near the start but it's a bit boring to always stick with him. ALSO, do any of the other users actually 'do' anything else like Rico does, I thought it was daft that I took Rucha (who always goes on about 'next time I'll make you a sandwich blahblah') to what was apparently a confectioners and not one of the two characters in the shop so much as blinked at her for being a 'cook'. Just a lot of inconsistency...

And I'm sorry but some of the invisible walls aren't any sort of established 'trope' of the JRPG genre, I can't remember a single 2D Squeenix game that had such glaringly bad invisible walls - blocking a path with a barrel or wreckage, fair do's - but totally invisible walls for no reason is ridiculous. Or if it is meant to be some sort of part of the challenge of negotiating maps and chest-hunting, then that's just plain crap.

And I'm sorry but some of the invisible walls aren't any sort of established 'trope' of the JRPG genre, I can't remember a single 2D Squeenix game that had such glaringly bad invisible walls - blocking a path with a barrel or wreckage, fair do's - but totally invisible walls for no reason is ridiculous. Or if it is meant to be some sort of part of the challenge of negotiating maps and chest-hunting, then that's just plain crap.

My bad. I was commenting on the limited nature or function of towns in JRPGs - as moments of peaceful respite and exploration following a frenzied boss battle - crudely limiting access to certain floors of buildings etc should not be necessary and as you say is not usually the case. Of course there are examples of areas which are intentionally blocked to start with and become available later, but that is different.

All done now.

I went back to the beginning of the section where

you are split up in the cave which is quite nasty in places

to stock up on 99 blue berry potions first. Then I made more use of the enhanced abilities option in an effort to end some of the battles more quickly (+500 attk is tasty). Fortunatlely there are 2 more save points in this section so I don't think the criticism I have read on GAF etc that there are too few is valid. I must have missed the signals for "are you really sure you want to go out and sever the ashen chain since this is the point of no return"

I still found at the very end though I was staying well back away from the action which was rather confusing in places

some but not all the team coming back in shadow form, bouts of blindness and deafness, the effects of the various rotating coloured panels

, hammering Y and resuscitating the melee fighters in the team (maybe Aya would have been better I am a sucker for maximising Attk). There is never an AI command for "when you see the boss gearing up to do his multi hit attack special get the fuck away from him". I ended up with no potions at all.

And WTF with the scene after the credits?

PS pick up the special voucher as a free XBL download since it gives access to all minerals with Genma and thus the ability to enhance attk and/or def late on.

I think overall the Edge review this month is fair - the game tries to do a lot and does not altogether pull it off but is worth checking out if you are a Tri Ace fan and enjoyed Star Ocean 3.