Kick Ass & Kick Ass 2 - Now: Reboot and Cinematic Universe

Goose

Kick Ass was good but over-hyped, I never thought it was classic... It had great premise, cast, director and a shit-ton of money but the plot was a bit washy and the only outstanding moments were really down to the absurdity of Hit Girl and Big Daddy Nicolas Cage. Never really felt for the main character, never really believed his motivation or the love story tacked on. It was more a film full of gimmicks, don't get me wrong it was a solid 8 just for how great some of the scenes were (like Big Daddy's end etc) but not quite the classic some people make out.

I expect some backlash for this but I honestly preferred Super, it had many problems but fucking hell it managed to grab me emotionally and with just a snippet of the budget! Different beasts but I think Super is quite an accurate representation of what a real superhero would be like (not counting those law-abiding "super-heroes").

The comic was just nasty and shocking and gross for the sake of it, and unfortunately the film looks like it's following the plot very closely.

The main reason the trailer looks bad is because everyone has aged. Hit-girl just looks weird as an older teenager -- Chloe Moretz is one of those girls who developed a weird-shaped face as she grew (yeah I know that's a stupid thing to say, but do you disagree?). The guy playing Dave has a weird contradiction -- he looks like a 25-year-old cool-as-fuck movie star who has really been at the gym, but still has the mop-top and the character of a loser teenager. It visually doesn't work. And Carrey doing a "character"... interesting but goofy.

And I hope this trailer was made before they did the digital grading, because the photography looks flat and bright and cheap.

The guy playing Dave has a weird contradiction -- he looks like a 25-year-old cool-as-fuck movie star who has really been at the gym, but still has the mop-top and the character of a loser teenager. It visually doesn't work.

Aaron Johnson has had that physique for years, but they wisely refrained from showing it off in the first Kick-Ass, probably down to the same reasoning you're applying. I agree by the way, it's a bit of a leap to accept that he's supposedly a loser teenager when you could grate cheese on his stomach.

Oh man I loved Kick Ass and Kick Ass 2 (the comics). Looks like I may be in the minority. All of the sick, over the top stuff worked for me.

The whole point of Kickass is ‘What if a regular kid became a superhero (in a world without real superheroes)?’. He has all these fantasies about what it will be like, as does his enemy about becoming a super villain, but the reality of it is not what he expects. Real life is harsh, real life is unfair, sometimes real people are unjustifiably evil, sometimes people do fucked up things with no good reason. The villain is great because he’s not got some master plan, he’s no genius, he’s a rich kid with a big ego, a taste for vengeance and nothing to lose. There are some sick stuff in there sure but was it to shock or to highlight the difference between what happens in a Marvel comic and what ‘could’ happen in real life? I’ll admit as well, too much Ennis in my time has desensitised me a little to the shock stuff!

I’m not saying it’s a work of art but…. I’m surprised there is so much hate for the comics.

For me, Kick Ass is one of my fave films. I really enjoy it.

However, i'm not so sure on this sequel. It loses some of the feel - the first film seemed quite realistic and this seems very OTT. Also as others have mentioned, the green screen stuff was way to obvious.

I still hope it turns out good though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I imagine it’s definitely the level of violence in the film that’s made him publically disassociate himself from it just prior to its release. That must be it. No other explanation is possible.

And Millars response:

Creator of the original comic book and Kick-Ass executive producer Mark Millar said he was "baffled" by Carrey's decision and asked him to reconsider.

In a forum on his website Millarworld, he wrote: "As you may know, Jim is a passionate advocate of gun-control and I respect both his politics and his opinion, but I'm baffled by this sudden announcement as nothing seen in this picture wasn't in the screenplay eighteen months ago.

"Yes, the body-count is very high, but a movie called Kick-Ass 2 really has to do what it says on the tin.

"A sequel to the picture that gave us Hit-Girl was always going to have some blood on the floor and this should have been no shock to a guy who enjoyed the first movie so much... like Jim, I'm horrified by real-life violence (even though I'm Scottish), but Kick-Ass 2 isn't a documentary."

Further down in his posting, he continued: "Ultimately, this is his decision, but I've never quite bought the notion that violence in fiction leads to violence in real-life any more than Harry Potter casting a spell creates more Boy Wizards in real life.,, Jim, I love ya and I hope you reconsider for all the above points."

but why suddenly have a problem with those aspects now? why not during filming? why not when he read the script? if his issues are linked to Sand Hook why didn't he say so then?

this seems as i there's something about the finished product that he has problems with. perhaps he's taken issue with how the violence in the presented or just thinks the movie is plain bad. either way he seems to be trying to find a tactful way of distancing himself from a movie he is unhappy with rather than having any genuine moral issues with the content.