House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)

Bocuma

I hope this does turn out good. Between the accessories and the collector's edition it all seems very exciting and tempting, I'll be pissed off if it's a waste of time!

So I've now got the collector edition preordered with shopto, the guns with Amazon and hoping to cancel both in favour of the big box 'o joy from shopto if they get it. I hope I don't forget all this and end up with extra copies again.

it will sell if they advertise it - if they shove it on the shelf with no marketing, it'll die. This 'expanded' market includes a lot of guys who like a game, but don't read gaming mags or online sites - the only way they'll hear about a game is if they see it on telly or advertised in other mags.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay! Bit disappointed about the hand cannons mention though, "Much as we would like to, we can't recommend the official Hand Cannons - beautiful, chunky, gloriously out-sized pieces of moulded plastic they may be, but they're also heavy, off-balance and very uncomfortable to use. Try Venom's more compact Light Blaster instead. You can tip the controller upwards to reload your infinite ammo, but pressing A is faster if you're using a naked remote, which frankly, for an extended session, you will be.". Might have to cancel that bit of the preorder :(

Still though, game looking good!

I hope hope hope the calibration is good on this. House of Dead 2/3 on Wii calibrates brilliantly, Ghost Squad (which is much more fun to replay) is a nightmare to calibrate on my TV, one of the extents is near to the middle of my screen :o

I have hopes because it's predecessor calibrated well, but the Eurogamer mention of it being gesture-based control rather than aiming down the sights is a bit worrying. HOD2/3 can be aimed down sights just fine so :angry:

Not bothering with the hand cannons as I've already got 2 of the vipers and they're ace. :(

(And Link's crossbow which is fucking dreadful to use).

At the moment I've decided to stick with the cannons cos they look so smart. Quite excited about this game!

Me too. They just look a touch to cool to ignore, although it is disappointing to hear that they're not that comfortable to use.

I have decided that that reviewer must have wrong-hands. It's gonna be fine! Someone in the comments said they were fine!

IGN US titbits: "Oh, and for those looking to rock a gun shell like the Perfect Shot or the UK pack-in Overkill "Hand Cannon" peripheral, you're in luck. A "no cursor" mode is available, and the IR calibration system works just as well, if not a bit better, than House of the Dead 2&3 did. You can play this one like an arcade light gun game, and it works great; just don't expect to be resting your arms, as the new "Danger Cam" will look down if you do. "

So, Friday then....

What with it getting good reviews across the board, it appears that we finally have a top quality new 'light-gun' game for this generation. I'm really rather excited to finally get my hands on it come the end of the week. It could've all gone so horribly wrong, so there's a bit of relief, too. :angry: