Official Ambient Music Thread

Just done a search and was surprised to find that there's been zero threads created regarding ambient music. -- That's madness!

Anyways, I'm on a bit of a tip for listening to some easy going stuff as I type, no words, complex structures, surprises or distractions.

Brain Eno came up with the most fitting answer:

"Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."

So today I've been working my way through his Ambient collection. Music For Airports has always been high on my favourites list, such beautiful and simple soundscapes.

So what else is on the cards?

What rocks your ambient boat?

• Upvote 1

I do love me a bit of ambient music, so a few suggestions (no more than an album per artist). Lots of them are really well known - so be it.

Air - Talkie Walkie. So all of their albums are far too similar - it doesn't change the fact that this features some beautiful tracks. A great album.

Autechre - Amber

Brian Eno - Apollo

General Fuzz - Inner Sunset (best of all, it's free!)

Pascal Comelade - Detail Monochrome. This is just beautiful, French lo-fi ambient music from the 80's, there's nothing quite like it. See here.

Plaid - Double Figure

Vangelis - the Blade Runner soundtrack, natch

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2

That's essential. Especially Disc 1.

I should have mentioned that in the original post, but I thought it was pretty much a given.

Just having a listen to Global Communication now.

I should have mentioned that in the original post, but I thought it was pretty much a given.

Just having a listen to Global Communication now.

Ah. Damn my most basic knowledge of ambient music.

Just noticed that Wiper mentioned "Talkie Walkie" by Air. I'll second that motion, a fantastic album. Another one I can think of the "Angels of the Universe" soundtrack by Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson. It's uses real instruments (very string-heavy) instead of being synthesised, but it's lovely. Sigur Ros contributed the album's closing two tracks as well.

The KLF - Chill Out

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

The Advisory Circle - Other Channels

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children / Geogaddi / The Campfire Headphase

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms / ISDN

The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (Deluxe Edition) / U.F.Orb

Global Communication - Remotion

Christ. - Metamorphic Reproduction Miracle / Pylonesque EP

Cliff Martinez - Traffic:Original Motion Picture Score

The Durutti Column - Return Of The Durutti Column

Sun Electric - Kitchen

At the Green Man festival this weekend I caught an 'act' in the cinema/science tent which involved a man reading very well from a series of Apollo 11 moon landing accounts alongside previously unreleased NASA footage of the actual landing itself (from about 20,000 feet to the ground), set magnificently to music from Brian Eno's Apollo record. It was probably the most inspiring thing ever.

EDIT: Also, Dean; those two 'On A Sky Rocket ...' tracks from last Macadamia record are hopefully two very early examples of more experiments in the area.

EDIT EDIT: 'Ground zero' was probably the wrong term.

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms / ISDN

If you like those two you'll love their new one, Environments. It's the unreleased Amorphous Androgynous album from way way back, and it's pure FSOL soundscape all the way.

I always say this when there's an ambient thread, but I love ambient mixes. Ambient music's always been journey stuff for me, and ambient mixes do the musical journey thing better than just about anything else. I mean, Eno came up with his ambient philosophy after hearing classical music against the background of a rainy day. The way an ambient mix can blend together environmental sound effects, synth drones, burbling arpeggios, classical strings, smoky jazz and snippets from films is pure bliss to me.

Lowlight Mixes is a great place for ambient mixes. My absolute favourite is Quiet Night, Quiet Stars. When Moon River floats in you just fall in love with it.

The Cloud Factory is another goldmine for ambient (and electronic in general) stuff, Catweasel being my DJ of choice. The Extreme High Weirdness mix is simply incredible.

Is ISDN similar in style to Lifeforms? I thought the latter was absolutely brilliant.

ISDN has more beats than Lifeforms. It's similar, but nowhere near as ambient soundscapey. I'd say Tales of Ephidrina from their Amorphous Androgynous alter ego has more in common with Lifeforms than ISDN.

If you like Lifeforms you need the aforementioned new Environments album and the Lifeforms single, which is pretty much a third CD of Lifeforms the album.

Just done a search and was surprised to find that there's been zero threads created regarding ambient music. -- That's madness!

Anyways, I'm on a bit of a tip for listening to some easy going stuff as I type, no words, complex structures, surprises or distractions.

Brain Eno came up with the most fitting answer:

"Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."

So today I've been working my way through his Ambient collection. Music For Airports has always been high on my favourites list, such beautiful and simple soundscapes.

So what else is on the cards?

What rocks your ambient boat?

There's actually been a few threads that have discussed ambient music, though they perhaps haven't been too obvious. Trawling through the last few months' of the music folder reveals these threads:

Chillout music - includes ambient

Music that sends you to sleep

Stars of the Lid

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works

Helios

There are some really good recommendations in those.

I really think it would be worth having an Official Ambient Music thread - there's one for metal, dance, hip-hop - as the topic comes up fairly often at the moment. Maybe this one could be it. You could rename it and possibly add a sub-title to reference chillout music, music to send you to sleep, etc, so it's more likely to come up in the Search. Maybe even add those above links into your first post, and any others that people find.

I've updated the thread title. There's been some great recommendations in here so far. I've spent the morning listening to The Blade Runner soundtrack, so nice to hear that again after so many years.

I'm gonna take this thread from the top down and check out as much as I can.

I'll be interested to see if any one has heard Erik Satie's Furniture works though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furniture_music

Sounds like an interesting set of works.

If you like those two you'll love their new one, Environments. It's the unreleased Amorphous Androgynous album from way way back, and it's pure FSOL soundscape all the way.

I always say this when there's an ambient thread, but I love ambient mixes. Ambient music's always been journey stuff for me, and ambient mixes do the musical journey thing better than just about anything else. I mean, Eno came up with his ambient philosophy after hearing classical music against the background of a rainy day. The way an ambient mix can blend together environmental sound effects, synth drones, burbling arpeggios, classical strings, smoky jazz and snippets from films is pure bliss to me.

Lowlight Mixes is a great place for ambient mixes. My absolute favourite is Quiet Night, Quiet Stars. When Moon River floats in you just fall in love with it.

The Cloud Factory is another goldmine for ambient (and electronic in general) stuff, Catweasel being my DJ of choice. The Extreme High Weirdness mix is simply incredible.

Good post, great links. Thanks.

Oh, and Vermillion, I just listened to some Arve Henriksen - I like.

At the Green Man festival this weekend I caught an 'act' in the cinema/science tent which involved a man reading very well from a series of Apollo 11 moon landing accounts alongside previously unreleased NASA footage of the actual landing itself (from about 20,000 feet to the ground), set magnificently to music from Brian Eno's Apollo record. It was probably the most inspiring thing ever.

Sounds amazing.

I think watching NASA Apollo footage on IMAX while listening to Eno would be the best thing ever.

Edit: Damnit, why don't consecutive posts link up anymore?

Many thanks for these links, im gonna have a field day :)

Oh, add The Dead Texan to the list for albums to try. An offshoot from Stars of the Lid and just as good. You get a free DVD with the album as well.