rllmuk
Boyatsea

Remember...Knightmare?

There's quite a few Knightmare clips on Youtube, including a couple of the winning teams. They did a set of Choose Your Own Adventure books to go with the show, which were pretty fun, and the Spectrum game was brilliant if rather difficult. I still remember being creeped out by the Catacomb Bite - a giant grinning skull on legs.

There's quite a few Knightmare clips on Youtube, including a couple of the winning teams. They did a set of Choose Your Own Adventure books to go with the show, which were pretty fun, and the Spectrum game was brilliant if rather difficult. I still remember being creeped out by the Catacomb Bite - a giant grinning skull on legs.

I loved the bit where the flesh fell off until it was just a skull.

SCARY AS FUCK WHEN YOU'RE A KID!

Buy a tee and yours will come with a DVD. :(

I wish I'd known about this special offer :angry:

I loved the bit where the flesh fell off until it was just a skull.

SCARY AS FUCK WHEN YOU'RE A KID!

GIF REQUEST!

Wrote a game idea for this but just edited it. Gonna save it for a future podcast!

I swear there was a topic on this very forum before which had an interview with some bloke who had been one of the contestants way back when. He was on one of the winning teams too.

It was filmed at Anglia Studios in Norwich? Man I used to live just down the road from there. I had no idea that my favourite show was filmed so close - I could have gone and got Treyguards autograph or something. :)

I have all eight series of Knightmare thanks to Challenge repeating it a few years back and UKNova uploading it at the time. :)

I'm on series four at the mo. Quite often have it on in the background while I'm working. Still one of my favourite shows of all time.

I have all eight series of Knightmare thanks to Challenge repeating it a few years back and UKNova uploading it at the time. :ph34r:

I'm on series four at the mo. Quite often have it on in the background while I'm working. Still one of my favourite shows of all time.

:) Prepare to be spammed with PM requests

It was called Cyberzone.

This was the show that John Fashanu nicked "Awooga! Awooga" from for use on "Gladiators".

</useless trivia>

That's because I'm a tard and tried to create a hyperlink by typing it out myself rather than using the URL button. It shouldn't have been too much of a problem but I apparently can't type at the moment. I've fixed it now, but otherwise go here http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/weekendspecials/timchild.htm.

Interesting read - especially when it comes to how they'd just get rid of teams if they were rubbish. :)

He doesn't come across as the best in it though. I'll let him off, anyway, as Knightmare is easily the best kids TV show ever. Heh.

Some great stuff on there :)

Ray's team receive a congratulatory letter from Broadsword, and a letter from the next team who they met on the last day of filming.

Letter2.jpgLetter3.jpg

Question is, which is harder, Rick Dangerous or completing Knightmare?

It really wasn't a rose-tinted memory - it's fucking excellent.

I'm so glad this is true. Thanks for the reminder, I'm grabbing from UKN right now.

I'm surprised how tough it is, it really holds true to the text adventure template. Some of the item choices are a lottery and there's not always hints available. Choose wrong and you're screwed, you just don't know it yet. The bomb deaths are proper lol moments, because it goes off prematurely when the guy's legging it across the room.

My favourite NPC's the Swedish guy "Veery happy to be looting you!".

I've been watching Knightmare episodes on Youtube. Great stuff.

This show deserves a revival, whether it be via TV or videogames.

Interesting read - especially when it comes to how they'd just get rid of teams if they were rubbish. :(

He doesn't come across as the best in it though. I'll let him off, anyway, as Knightmare is easily the best kids TV show ever. Heh.

I *love* the fact there was inspiration from Atic Atac!

I'm surprised how tough it is, it really holds true to the text adventure template. Some of the item choices are a lottery and there's not always hints available. Choose wrong and you're screwed, you just don't know it yet. The bomb deaths are proper lol moments, because it goes off prematurely when the guy's legging it across the room.

Yep, this is why I love the show as well. It's the Mystery Dungeon effect. Despite the crappy effects it seems like a real adventure just because it's so difficult and unfair.

I love the little in-game vignettes with actors too. So cool. In a sort of am-dram way. :)

I remember one episode where the kid stepped into the bomb room. The fuse is lit, and his mates guide him through it, running at the end to get out the door right before it explodes.

Then, a few rooms down the line he somehow ended up back at the bomb room with the fuse all burnt away. He died, of course. Given what we know about the teams deliberately being killed off, the production team must have HATED them.

I loved this show, but IIRC only about 3 teams ever managed to beat it. That made it even more of an achievement IMO even if the only thing they really got was bragging rights. I really liked how the riddles required actual knowledge too.

Oh, & that Lifeforce timer really used to freak me out. Not just the slowly revealing skull but it put me off the sound of a heartbeat. A bit of a problem for a mortal human lying in bed on a quiet night. :P

So this is 25 years old today!

This was one of my favourite shows growing up (it was the future) and seeing the likes of this and Super Mario Kart all celebrating their 25th and 20th birthdays this year makes me feel far too old.

I'm sure the theme tune has already been posted in here but it deserves a second outing.

• Upvote 3

25 years! Shit, yeah, makes me feel old. Was my favourite show as a kid. I'd rush home from school on a Friday to get my graph paper and notepad ready to "play along at home" :D

• Upvote 1

Had a lot of fun writing an article on the show and the computer games for issue 90 of Retro Gamer...

My friends and I applied to go on but never made it.

Forgot that this was on last night. :(

It's preceded each week by Pat Sharp mullet-fest, Funhouse, too.