rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Henry Bobbins

The best Mega Drive games

Seeing as the MD is making a comeback (see deKay's thread, and the earlier one about the handheld MD), might be a nice time to ask about the best games on the system, no? :lol: No Sonic games though please. :D

i will get the obvious ones out of the way

castle of illusion

sonic's

ghouls n ghosts

goldexaxe's

thunderforce 3&4

rainbow islands

My Favourites that I'd still gladly play today:

Gunstar Heroes

Toejam and Earl

Flashback (granted, not an MD exclusive, but it's my favourite game of all time)

Micro Machines '96

Comix Zone

Ristar

Super Baseball 2020 (again, not an exclusive)

TMNT Hyperstone Heist

I could go on. Some of the best games found their way to PSP collections.

Super/Revenge of Shinobi

Star Control

Rainbow Islands

Snow Bros

Tatsujin/Truxton

Slap Fight (loved it on the ST as well)

Populous

Road Rash

Thunder Force Series

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Some good suggestions here. :lol: Not sure about any of the arcade conversions these days, mind.

Was going to give Herzog Zwei a go, but remembered that last time I did, I didn't have a clue how to actually play it. :D

Shinobi 3

Super HangOn

Battle Squadron 2

Road Rash 1+2

NHL Hockey 94

Rocket Knight Adventures

Thunderforce 3+4

Gynoug

Ecco

Phantasy Star series

Shining Force 1+2

Newzealand Story

Rainbow Islands Extra

Snow Bros

Ranger X

Ranger X

Best game on the system. It has graphical tricks you never thought possible on the MD, and is some of the best mecha action you'll find.

Hell, one of the best games to come out during the 16-bit generation, but it never gets enough love.

Best game on the system. It has graphical tricks you never thought possible on the MD, and is some of the best mecha action you'll find.

Hell, one of the best games to come out during the 16-bit generation, but it never gets enough love.

Agreed, got it for Christmas 1994 fantastic game.

Why has no one said Decapattack, Magical Plying Hat Turbo Adventure, Marvel Land and Kid Chameleon? Also, Rolo to the Rescue was great, it's just too long with no save or passwords.

Also, Rolo to the Rescue was great, it's just too long with no save or passwords.

YES! :lol:

Cutsey it may have been, but this was a really good platformer.

Gunstar Heroes

Ex-Ranza

Sonic 1&2

Thunderforce IV

Gynoug

Akumajou Dracula: Vampire Killer

Contra: The Hard Corps

The Super Shinobi

Bare Knuckle 1&2

Castle of Illusion

Ecco the Dolphin

Super Hang-On

Rocket Knight Adventures

Shining Force 1&2

Ghouls 'N' Ghosts

would happily play any of those today and enjoy the time a lot

some of the EA stuff was really great then too (SHOCK!) like the original Madden, EA Hockey, Desert Strike, Road Rash

some of the EA stuff was really great then too (SHOCK!) like the original Madden, EA Hockey, Desert Strike, Road Rash

Heh, I originally bought the PSP's EA Replay pack to play Syndicate on the move, but instead I've found myself falling in love with the Strike games all over again...

The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis) - I like it more than Zelda ALTTP :)

Starflight

Earthworm Jim 1 & 2

Micro Machines 2

Micro Machines 96

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (what other basketball game has cheats that let you dunk from any part of the court, or have Bill Clinton, Prince Charles or Will Smith on your team?)

Eternal Champions (yes, the SF2 games were obviously better, but I still always liked this too)

Oh and the Sonics as well. ;)

Why has no one said Decapattack, Magical Plying Hat Turbo Adventure, Marvel Land and Kid Chameleon? Also, Rolo to the Rescue was great, it's just too long with no save or passwords.

I agree about Rolo to the Rescue. If they a save game feature it's have been great. Unfortunately that lead me to give up after a few days (back in 1993), so these days with emulators and save states, it will be actually finish-able. Can't wait to get back to it. :D

Were MFHTA and Decap different beyond having different graphics?

Were MFHTA and Decap different beyond having different graphics?

MFHTA was harder, as you had no energy bar. Also, the layouts of the levels differed - only a little in some cases, but some of the later levels were entirely different. MFHTA had loads more powerups too, as well as more than one bonus round between levels.

And most of the bosses are different.

i recommend sticking in road rash, turning the volume up and just air drumming/guitaring to the press start screen for hours :D

i recommend sticking in road rash, turning the volume up and just air drumming/guitaring to the press start screen for hours ;)

:D I love the music from road rash! Makes me smile just thinking about it. It's got to be accompanied by the "whhyyyyowwww" of someone being taken out though.

I love some of the platformers for the MD like:

Quackshot

Castle of Illusion

Ghostbusters

Dynamite Headdy

Kid Chameleon

Ristar

Spiderman vs Kingpin

then run n gunners like:

Probotector

Gunstar Heroes

Ranger X

Sunset Riders

Shmups:

MUSHA

Gynoug

Bio-Hazard Battle

Eliminate Down

Thunder Force 3/4

All of the Treasure games for the MD are classics - Gunstar, Headdy, Light Crusader, Alien Soldier, etc

Does anyone on here know how much a mint Jap copy of Yu Yu Hakusho - the treasure Beat-em-up is worth? (ive asked on "ask the forum" to no avail)

Castle of Illusion

World of Illusion

Quakshot

It's funny actually, I was thinking today that those 3 games are still excellent fun today. Quackshot especially.