Suprise Rarities

Been ripping all my CDs to MP3 to finally put them into storage. It's been a long drawn out process but I doing so I discovered that two of my CD's are pretty rare:

Mixed Up in The Hague Vol. 1 by I-F which apparently was limited to 750 copies and is highly sought after. It's a brilliant CD too, incredible mix of rare & forgotten Italo disco / electro-pop stuff. Truly head scratching where they find some of these old tracks.

The other is

Tacoma Narrows Bridge / Someday Anywhere - David Kristian / Sian which was limited to 500 copies. It's a bit weird to be honest.

I had no idea these CDs were rare, sought after or generally worth anything.

Anyone else discovered they've picked up rare or limited edition stuff without meaning to?

Or generally got any rare music you are proud of?

Off the top of my head, I've got the original version of the first N*E*R*D album which was never released in the US and deleted pretty much straight away. Bought it when it came out from Amazon, they tend to go for around £30 or so now last time I looked.

I had the debut Hope of the States EP which came in a hand-stitched Hessian bag, from the original numbered run. Sold it for about £50 when I run out of money a few years back but would loved to have kept it.

Pfft.

I've got the limited to 101 copies Mira Calix album, One On One. With a special handmade sleeve. So there :D

Plus the Doctor Rockit - Pockit Doctor 7", limited to 777 copies.

bought that for £3 last year :D

It's been re-released since :lol:

I've got a few that I just bought when they came out and are now worth a bit. It helps when the record company has since gone bust. Though it has to be said, some of the Discogs prices are pure fantasy.

This is prob the most valuable CD single I own...

Denise Lopez - Don't You Wanna Be Mine

A few albums:

Leftfield - Backlog

Woob - Woob

David Mancuso Presents The Loft

David Mancuso Presents The Loft Volume 2

I sold a promo remix 12" of Starcluster this year to some German Marc Almond fan for 100 euro's! Didn't cost me a thing and the

was better anyway :)

I found the original (banned) pressing of Alec Empire's Generation Star Wars LP with the stormtroopers with swastika's on their helmets for a couple of quid in Cash Converters. I acquired the White Noise LP from my dad which is quite rare. Sasha & Digweed's Northern Exposure cd is pretty expensive these days too.

Too many to mention after five years of rummaging around at car boot sales. Mostly Prog stuff like original Comus and Goblin LPs, and ditto on the White Noise LP.

I think a fair amount of the 70s French synthy disco stuff I have might be worth a bit, too. Just looked up a Universal Energy record on eBay and the last one sold for about £25, and it's probably the least rare thing I have in that genre.

Too many to mention after five years of rummaging around at car boot sales. Mostly Prog stuff like original Comus and Goblin LPs, and ditto on the White Noise LP.

I think a fair amount of the 70s French synthy disco stuff I have might be worth a bit, too. Just looked up a Universal Energy record on eBay and the last one sold for about £25, and it's probably the least rare thing I have in that genre.

You should do the mix club, or just make me a cd :)

I've got the VSnares Giant Alien Force box thing.. its pretty good.

snares2.jpg

Got a lot of really limited Porcupine Tree stuff too.. Metanoia, couple of singles, etc. Some fairly limited Aphex Vinyl.

Snap, lovely little package that.

Okay my willy-waving:

Original version of Coldcut's Journeys By DJ - 74 Minutes Of Madness. Really top mix too.

Mogwai Fear Satan single - apparently this is reasonably rare because of the immense Kevin Shields remix you only get on the single.

A couple of the last releases on 555 records, hand-made vinyl records, the one is limited to 51 copies. 555 stuff was pretty collectable in it's day. Really excellent label. Have the first pressing (on red vinyl) of the Kid606 EP

er, I'm straying into boring record collector territory here. Sorry. I don't collect like I used to, get all hung up on pressings and runs and all that. But it's nice to have some stuff you know not many people own, even if everyone on the net has access to it.

I have a copy of f#a#(infinity) that I thought was rare. Until I read that the re released it as faithfully to the original as possible. Guess mine is a later pressing.

I have a couple at the drive-in singles I know are hard to find :lol:

Bjork - Pagan Poetry (Infusion mix)

12" white label. #003 out of 1000. Has gone up in value a fair bit since I bought it. Will be selling it soon though.

D2 remixes

CD from the OST of the Dreamcast game, remixes from Coldcut, Cinematic Orchestra, DJ Food, etc. I've only ever seen it on sale once and I bought that copy.

The Soulsavers - Showtime

7" released as a promo, no official info on this one.

Atomine Electrine - Nebulous (98 copies, handcrafted box)

From Essence Music, that record label releases the most elaborate limited edition boxsets ever. I'm talking stuff that should be in a museum.

None of these were a surprise though.

I have a promo copy of Reload's A Collection of Short Stories. The album goes for a decent price, but I'm not sure if the promo's worth anything. It's got to be rarer, though.

I was told years ago that my copy of Quoth by Polygon Window was rare, because it was cancelled shortly after release or something. I don't know if that's true, but the American sellers on Amazon marketplace are selling it for 10+ times the price I bought it for. Likewise, The Ambient Cookbook 2 is now worth over twice what I paid for it.

I'm sure I have a few rareties in my collection, but I don't think they're worth anything. I've got a couple Pete Namlook CDs that were released in limited numbers, Together by Sasha on vinyl, one of the Analogue Bubblebaths . . .

post-2381-1219185355.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/release/497053

About 2 years ago i was browsing for cd's on ebay when i saw the above sell for £70.

Considering i got my copy for 99p i put it on ebay sharpish.

Some guy in Miami won it for about £70 quid. He even admitted he was mad to pay that much but he had been after it for ages.

Is it rare? Dunno but i was quite happy for someone to pay me £70 for it. The remixes on it were pretty poor IMO :lol:

Ok guys, i'm about to win the thread. I have an acoustic version of Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi on yellow vinyl. Who wants to touch me?

In more credible items, I could probably buy a small 3rd world countries national debt if I flogged all my old jungle. I've just checked a few off the top of my head (some Philly Blunts, Acen, some old Moving Shadow) and they're getting PHAT LOOT on discogs(£20-£50 per 12"). And that's just the ones I checked. I'm not selling them though. Oh no.

Also, my girlfriend has that Mixed up in the Hague CD, i'm surprised to see it's so expensive, partly because her copy is all bashed up to fuck.

After reading the post about Acen I thought I'd look up how much the Best of Production House CD was worth. Nobody's selling it on Amazon Marketplace, Discogs Marketplace (although the vinyls are going for a nice price) or eBay. Seems like it might be rare.

Also, the second compilation from the denizens Hyperreal Ambient mailing list, and all four compilations from the old Raw42 website. Strangely only the first two in the series are listed on Discogs.

Various - The Best Of Production House (Production House) CD

Sales over the past 12 months

Highest Selling Price: £16.08
Lowest Selling Price: £15.99
Average Selling Price: £16.03
Median Selling Price: £16.03

Is it any good? I like the old Acen and Baby D stuff but don't know most of those tracks.

Various - The Best Of Production House (Production House) CD

Sales over the past 12 months

Highest Selling Price: £16.08
Lowest Selling Price: £15.99
Average Selling Price: £16.03
Median Selling Price: £16.03

Is it any good? I like the old Acen and Baby D stuff but don't know most of those tracks.

It's worth more than I paid for it, then.

Yeah, it's a good CD. It's mostly classic hardcore breakbeat stuff, with some older, housier tunes thrown in. I'm just looking and a lot of the tunes are on YouTube, if you want a preview.

Edit:

The tracks are all three-four minute edits - I thought I'd mention that.

I found another one in my collection. I was trying to find some more info on the opener to my latest soul/funk mix (find it here) "Rosko recites Desiderata" - a 12" on Prelude records from 1980. I paid $4 for it in New York, the last one sold on Discogs for £25 with the comment ULTRA RARE!

Production House really was a class label. They really didn't seem to last very long though, even with the chart success they had. Not sure why. Probably didn't leverage their market position to maximise revenue enough and didn't minimise outgoings by outsourcing key functions. Or maybe they put it all up their nose.

I have a copy of f#a#(infinity) that I thought was rare. Until I read that the re released it as faithfully to the original as possible. Guess mine is a later pressing.

It's either Set Fire to Flames or one of the A Silver Mt Zion. albums but in the CD packaging there is the usual booklet of photos & art but also a burnt match. At least there was in the copy I bought. I think it was supposed to be symbolic.

This thread is dangerous...

I've spent a long time convincing myself I no longer needed CDs, but all the talk here reminds me of all those weekends I spent in Berwick Street obsessively buying stuff in Sister Ray and Selectadisc, taking chances on the odd random CD. Taking them all home for a mammoth listen. I've bought an awful lot of shite that way over the years, but also a lot of gems. Good times, but I've moved on, it's MP3 all the way now.

Rarest thing I probably have is a Sonic Youth 'Daydream Nation' LP box set. Comes with a T-shirt, Sub Pop 7" and other stuff. Only 150 of them were made and I haven't seen a copy for sale.

Anyone know how much it goes for? It was a birthday present from an old friend and there's no way I would part with it.