rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Batman: Arkham Asylum

13 minutes ago, APM said:

Over the last couple of days, I've needed some comfort gaming, so I'm playing through Arkham Asylum again. What an amazing game. It's still so much fun and so varied and so very, very moreish... One of the greats from the last generation of games, for sure, and it doesn't half look good on the X through the Return to Arkham pack on Game Pass.

Yeah, Asylum is still an absolutely awesome game. One of those few games I earmark as 'evergreen' and can pick up anytime and get huge enjoyment out of. 

But I love them all very much. 

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

All the series is good, yes even including Origins but that first one, with its slightly more restrictive "open" world and discovering their characterisation etc for the first time is just a stand out gaming moment. A game everyone will want to own and play when that era becomes truly retro.

Origins is a curious one - I think it's very much unfairly maligned. It's beautifully 'clean' - far more a 'normalised' Arkham than the others, which is probably to its advantage. It's definitely not as good as the RS ones, but it's got some pretty great moments in it - the Firefly fight on the bridge was particularly memorable!

I still haven’t played Knight, even though I bought it years ago in a slight frenzy of picking up cheap games. 

Thanks for the reminder!

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, Asylum is still an absolutely awesome game. One of those few games I earmark as 'evergreen' and can pick up anytime and get huge enjoyment out of. 

But I love them all very much. 

Origins is a curious one - I think it's very much unfairly maligned. It's beautifully 'clean' - far more a 'normalised' Arkham than the others, which is probably to its advantage. It's definitely not as good as the RS ones, but it's got some pretty great moments in it - the Firefly fight on the bridge was particularly memorable!

Origins had 2 major issues.

A bug that deleted saves, now presumably fixed but that'll sour people on a game.

The fact the timing on the combat is just *slightly* off compared to the Rocksteady games, but it's a game where that time can be everything.

It really is still pretty damn good though as you say, noted by Rocksteady stealing bits back from it for Arkham Knight.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

A bug that deleted saves, now presumably fixed but that'll sour people on a game.

Ha, I'm pretty sure it's not! I remember folks being angry at WB because they put out a statement along the lines of "yeah we know about this bug and yeah we realize how critical it is, but no we're not going to fix it, fuck all y'all, and goodbye"

• Upvote 2

I preferred the models / costume designs in Origins, and liked the crime scene investigation, despite how basic they were.

But yes, the timing on the combat took some getting used to. I can't remember, did it differ for any particular reason?

Arkham Asylum is my favourite of them all though, just felt so complete as an environment.

I’ve been meaning replay all 3 of the rocksteady games after picking them up in a recent PSN sale. 

Did they ever remaster Origins? 

I really wish one of these would get a Switch release- perfect desert island (beach holiday) game.

4 hours ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

I preferred the models / costume designs in Origins, and liked the crime scene investigation, despite how basic they were.

But yes, the timing on the combat took some getting used to. I can't remember, did it differ for any particular reason?

Arkham Asylum is my favourite of them all though, just felt so complete as an environment.

I don't know of a reason beyond "Different dev team didn't quite get it right".

I have all 3 and played a bit of asylum years ago. I want to play through one of them and am assuming knight is the one to go for given its the most recent of the trilogy so most complete? 

Just now, Muz said:

I have all 3 and played a bit of asylum years ago. I want to play through one of them and am assuming knight is the one to go for given its the most recent of the trilogy so most complete? 

Asylum is the most rounded, it is a very tight game with very little fat on it anywhere, but it's also the oldest and the most slight. It's basically a Metroidvania in 3d.

City takes Asylum and evolves it, expands everything. Combat has more moves and more challenge in enemy type. The world is truly open. Traversal is much more important. But it feels a little flabbier than the first and the open world feels a bit perfunctory.

Knight is City with fancier graphics and even more expansion on its combat etc, and the Batmobile, whose mileage varies (boom boom). Personally didn't like it. Take it out and it's better game than City, but there's a lot of it being used. If you get on with it though it's excellent.

They're all worth your time but I think only Asylum will be remembered as a classic. It has an atmosphere and cohesiveness that the others don't quite match.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

I've never played more than a couple of hours into Origins as my PC at the time wasn't up to playing it as well as the 360 versions of Asylum and City, but even accounting for that, I remember noticing a change to the feel of the combat. IIRC the change Origins made was that it seemed to extend the range of Batman's attacks early in the fights, whereas in Asylum and City, the range would only extend after a certain combo length. That was enough to throw off the timing. 

I just Googled it and one of the autofill recommendations for "Arkham Origins combat" was "... feels off". :lol:  The results give plenty of threads suggesting different reasons to explain the changes in difficulty and feel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BatmanArkham/comments/2mg06x/why_combat_is_harder_in_origins/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/209000/discussions/0/648811126316903322/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/209000/discussions/0/792924952516047844/

Asylum was an absolute classic and I'd love to play it again when I get time. Agree with above - a switch version would be great!

I thought City was a good effort at expanding it to an open world. The combat was great and I enjoyed the game a lot. I gave up on Knight. Just couldn't get on with all the batmobile rubbish. Way too much of it in the early game.

Cheers guys... First playthrough of asylum it is! Excited! 

• Upvote 1

I think the Knight batmobile stuff was fun, but there was LOADS of it, like eat more eat more! And sometimes you’d die just near the end of a section after killing three thousand tanks and have to grind through it again. 

But it aside from that it was dope. 

Asylum is definitely the best. Unpopular opinion, but I prefer Origins to City and Knight. 

Knight has this awful thing where you have to 100% the riddler stuff to get the true ending. 

I think if you're going back to it it's got to be Asylum, even if you don't think it's quite the best it's 95% of the experience in a tighter package.

Asylum was such a complete surprise as it was actually good. Then you realise it isn’t just good, it’s bloody brilliant and GOTY.

Dunno about anyone else, but I thought it was going to be shite at the time. Definitely the best one, although I do like playing as the other characters in the later games.

I remember playing the demo to death. It was one of the early stealth sections with about 6 goons to take out. I thought it was really great fun but for some reason I wasn't that hyped for the main game. I had no idea that it was going to be a metroidvania style game. It really was a surprise when it turned out to be bloody brilliant.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Asylum was such a complete surprise as it was actually good. Then you realise it isn’t just good, it’s bloody brilliant and GOTY.

Dunno about anyone else, but I thought it was going to be shite at the time. Definitely the best one, although I do like playing as the other characters in the later games.

To be honest, it came as a surprise that it actually came out. God knows what I was doing at the time, but I had absolutely no idea of the thing even existing until it kind of released. And even then it took me quite a while to get it. Obviously glad I did!

On 26/06/2019 at 20:24, womblingfree said:

To me, even that is seems like a bit of an understatement. I picked it up many years after release on the basis of the positive reviews and word of mouth and it was on an even higher tier the hype had led me to expect. The comparison point I keep coming back to is Metroid Prime or Resident Evil 4: translating that subject in to that genre would've been impressive even if it was simply competent, but managed to nail just about everything on the first pass and make significant and influential innovations in its genre.

• Upvote 4

I second all of that. I bought it several years after release expecting the hype to disappoint me but it's got to be in my top 5 games of all time.

Interesting that nearly every action adventure game since has stolen the Detective Mode, even when it makes no sense to the character ie Tomb Raider. I've been playing Mafia 3 recently and even that has a version of it - it's set in the 1960s.

• Upvote 1

I've just gone through my first playthrough on Hard difficulty playing Return to Arkham after beating it on normal when the game was originally released. It still holds up really well and the atmosphere is still amazing. It was only the penultimate fight that gave me any difficulty

I found fighting two Titans in a confined space with multiple grunts incredibly difficult, especiallly when one hit took away one part of the the health bar. I ended up cheating and just running around in circles avoiding the grunts, quick throwing the batarang when the Titans charged so that I only damaged them when they crashed into the wall. It took a while but I managed it eventually. 

I've still got half of the Riddlers trophies to find and the combat challenges to do but I am going to leave them for now and I started Return to Arkham City instead. It feels like you're playing as Spider-man in City compared to the Asylum. At this point I intend to replay the entire series including Origins which I stopped playing when I couldn't beat one of the early bosses. I might even play Origins Blackgate but the controls feel awful on the 3DS 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, ryodi said:

I've just gone through my first playthrough on Hard difficulty playing Return to Arkham after beating it on normal when the game was originally released. It still holds up really well and the atmosphere is still amazing. It was only the penultimate fight that gave me any difficulty

Hide contents

I found fighting two Titans in a confined space with multiple grunts incredibly difficult, especiallly when one hit took away one part of the the health bar. I ended up cheating and just running around in circles avoiding the grunts, quick throwing the batarang when the Titans charged so that I only damaged them when they crashed into the wall. It took a while but I managed it eventually. 

I've still got half of the Riddlers trophies to find and the combat challenges to do but I am going to leave them for now and I started Return to Arkham City instead. It feels like you're playing as Spider-man in City compared to the Asylum. At this point I intend to replay the entire series including Origins which I stopped playing when I couldn't beat one of the early bosses. I might even play Origins Blackgate but the controls feel awful on the 3DS 

Which Boss in Origins gave you bother? Of the first three games the only boss I remember struggling with was Titan Joker at the end of Asylum.

I really, really, really wish WB would put one of these games on the Switch.....

Arkham Origins spoiler

Deathstroke. I spent an hour trying to beat him today and still couldn’t do it. I’m considering starting the game again so I can put all of my ability points into health because he’s not that far into the game. 

Not for me. I haven’t had this much trouble with a boss fight for years. It also does the annoying thing of cutting when you attack him it’ll cut to him attacking you when I’d just knocked him down. This is why I’m going to concentrate on City for and try again once I’ve beaten it.

Loved this game on the 360. Is the PC remaster 60fps, 4k and all the trimmings? Might be due a replay.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Loved this game on the 360. Is the PC remaster 60fps, 4k and all the trimmings? Might be due a replay.

As far as I’m aware they never had a remaster, but they all run perfectly well anyway, so not an issue.

Well, aside from some odd occasions when the physx stuff goes wonky. Which was never patched correctly in Asylum or City.

But they’re rare and don’t last long.

• Upvote 1