Smoke and mirrors

MK-1601

I'm going to stick up for DKC as other brave chaps have done so. I thought it was stunning to look at, and the music was great too. The gameplay wasn't perfect, but I thoroughly enjoyed playing through the game. Miyamoto may have had a dig at the game, but that doesn't me it's a full gone conclusion that DKC was shite, and Yoshi's Island was fantastic. At the time, I actually preferred DKC. Didn't like playing as Yoshi, and losing baby Mario was bloody annoying. The graphical style was unique, but I didn't particularly like it much.

I thought Rock n Roll Racing on the SNES had some great audio (both music and voiceover) Rock n Roll Racing

The Wind Waker and the sailing, creating a seamless overworld where everything just blends in. The island loading as you sail towards it, changing from a background picture to a fully fledge 3D island on the fly. Oh, and when the lighthouse turns on ::):

Just like Metroid and its doors.

It wasn't, but the fact its gameplay matched the Mega Drive version's was pretty unique at the time. Brilliantly executed platformer, albeit quite simple.

Um, it was a completely different game. I remember being jealous of the MS version at the time (I had the MD version).

The various Freescape games for the Spectrum. You could almost here the Speccy creaking under the weight of those 3D graphics.

I see on YouTube someone's tried their hand at recreating Doom and Wolfenstein 3D on the Speccy, too. Madness.

That really deserves a link: the Speccy doing stuff it really shouldn't.

Quite amazing really, the music is rather top too.

It's the top down running around bit that was really neat. I could swear it looked better than some early Playstation attempts at the same thing.

Bet you're thinking of

(YouTube link) aren't you? Red Zone's similar; not as sophisticated but yeah, an impressive feat for the MD.

Bet you're thinking of
(YouTube link) aren't you?

Yep! Effects aside I think Loaded looks awful. There's a theory that the Saturn version without those effects contributed greatly to the perception of the Saturn's inferiority in the US, and thus it's failure.

The MD game we were just admiring has a great solid simplicity to it.

WUT?!! How was that possible on a Megadrive?! ;)

Just fired it up in Gens. The helicopter bit is the same trick as Seek and Destroy on the Amiga, all the image rotation is precalculated (something like 16 frames per object), the water is just flat polygons. It's a bit fancier than S&D though because you've got Thunderbird / Powerdrift style trickery going on to make pseudo 3D objects out of lots of sprites (like bridges / towers and stuff). Really amazing that it runs that smoothly with all the calculations that must be going on in the background to position everything on screen and render the polygons at the same time...

The indoor bit looks like the Ranger X background trick someone posted a few pages back, only going in four directions, with the same height parallax trick from the helicopter bit...

The logo at the start says "A Scavanger Team", the Into The Shadows folk who went backrupt, they were always crazily ambitious.

I can't get my head around that Spectrum Doom video though... That's insane.

Perfect Dark. Ignoring the plot it pushed the N64 with the expansion pack beyond it's limit and probably should have been held over until the Gamecube but it looked amazing compared to Goldeneye and had some of the best bot AI in a game I have seen before or since with an incredible level of customisability.

How about this little lot...

No second prize (amiga) - ace music as well and very very smooth. lovely to play

Also Trex Warrior (again, thalion and again, super smooth 3d, loved it)

And pushed to its AGA imits...I know realtime games are a different matter but this is really nice

And then there was Chase HQ on the speccy......very tidy and with speech :P nothing wrong with that frame rate either

Lionheart was a bit special too

As was Full Contact...used to just sit watching the intro, great music, great animation. crap game though. check out from 1:30 if you cant wait.

....close the thread on this one. Such a classic demo. what do you mean its not a game :

Bloody hell, No Second Prize!

I'd completely and utterly forgotten about that game - the name didn't even ring a bell. Played it loads though - aren't the colours in the intro just gorgeous - those pinky-blue sunrises. I'd like to play this again, actually - looks lovely and fast. I remember faffing with my mouses sensitivity loads, to get the controls right.

How about this little lot...

And then there was Chase HQ on the speccy......very tidy and with speech :P nothing wrong with that frame rate either

</a>

John "Jobbee" O'Brien certainly had a really good driving game engine for the speccy and amstrad CPC- he also did a conversion of WEC Le Mans that was very good, (and became, after some tarting up, the flagship game for the GX4000 as "burnin' rubber").

I'm still impressed by the fact any game could run on the Atari 2600. It had 128 bytes of RAM for god's sake.

This post is more than 128 bytes.

Anyway special mention to Pitfall 2 for having a huge map, nifty graphics and music all running in that ridiculous limitation.

Bloody hell, No Second Prize!

I'd completely and utterly forgotten about that game - the name didn't even ring a bell. Played it loads though - aren't the colours in the intro just gorgeous - those pinky-blue sunrises. I'd like to play this again, actually - looks lovely and fast. I remember faffing with my mouses sensitivity loads, to get the controls right.

Bloody hell me too!! I remember the game clearly but the name "No Second Prize" rang no bells at all till I looked at the vid. Brilliant little game. But the controls were touchy as hell. The Amiga was no 3D powerhouse, but it could handle plain vector & poly stuff pretty well

Robocop 3 is another example that springs to mind

(Skip to about 7:00 for the good stuff)

Bloody hell me too!! I remember the game clearly but the name "No Second Prize" rang no bells at all till I looked at the vid. Brilliant little game. But the controls were touchy as hell. The Amiga was no 3D powerhouse, but it could handle plain vector & poly stuff pretty well

Robocop 3 is another example that springs to mind

</a>

(Skip to about 7:00 for the good stuff)

The ST version No Second Prize was very impressive with its incredibly nippy graphics, shame I just couldnt quite master the mouse controls.

In Robocop 3 I loved the shootout with the gangs in the street alleys am I right in thinking of it as the first decent approximation of a doom game on humble home computer hardware?