NES Recommendations

After having a massive clear up I have finally found my NES power cable that's been missing for over a year. Over the past few years i've been picking up the odd game from carboots (to see if they work) to ones I played but never owned on ebay.

Here's what I have, from carboot and recent, to around when I go the console when I was 8ish and free from a neighbour in my early teens

Snake Rattle and Roll

Super Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt

Super Mario Bros 3

Solstice

Batman

Donkey Kong Classics

Mission Impossible

Nintendo World Cup

Duck Tales

Top Gun 2 - Second Mission

Marble Madness

Bucky O'Hare

Eliminator Boat Duel

Boy and His Blob -Trouble on Blobolonia

Probotector

The last 3 were from car boots and the last 2 were too damaged to play when I first got them and haven't really had a chance to play

Really want the Kirby NES game but any more suggestions?

I have the Darkwing duck but only on the original GameBoy. Someones trying to sell the NES game for £30 as its pretty rare. ;)

Ducktales is my most recent game, I picked it up around Christmas as I used to play it at said neighbour's (she gave me games a friend lent her after said friend turned out to be a bitch but kept some games for herself), that and it was 99p at Gamestation. Whole reason I was looking for my lead.

If you hadn't mentioned it Kirby would be at the top of my list. Okay so you can just float over the levels but if you actually play the game it is amazing, and that music.... mmmm.

The other I'd suggest is Super Turrican. It's quite tough but it really is well done on the NES.

Ebay

There's another going for a tenner but I'm not willing to pay that much for a game I've technically got.

I remember my nan got me that for my birthday when it came out, bloody awesome

I'd put it above the ducktales games, each level had a great theme, all round great capcom NES game.

god even talespin on the NES was reasonable

other games I'd ntoe

MEGAMAN 2-4

double dragon 2

We had a NES list topic, but I'll say it again:

Vice: Project Doom

Like all the best bits from Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Operation Wolf and Spyhunter rolled into one, with maybe the deepest story found in a NES game (it always reminded me of Snatcher, a bit).

I had a bash at River City Ransom (aka Street Gangs for the PAL version) a few weeks back and spent a whole afternoon on it. Awesome semi-free roaming beat-em-up from the makers of Double Dragon.

The graphics look amazing as well, really clear and cartoony.

I had a bash at River City Ransom (aka Street Gangs for the PAL version) a few weeks back and spent a whole afternoon on it. Awesome semi-free roaming beat-em-up from the makers of Double Dragon.

The graphics look amazing as well, really clear and cartoony.

o/\o

rcr3.gif

The Pc Engine Cd version looks especially great

rcr-pce.png

McDonaldland. I'm not kidding.

It was a very slick game, superb music (very European, C64-ish), simple design, no nonsense. It did have too many leap-of-faith jumps for my liking though. And a big clown talking to small children is creepy, end of.

McDonaldland. I'm not kidding.

It's-a Mario! ;):)

I keep dying from jumping on enemies. :D

Strangely enough, I enjoyed Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles far more than most of the other games posted in the NES threads: Kid Icarus, Vice: Project Doom, River City Ransom, Bionic Commando, Solar Jetman (that one I couldn't get into at all), Metal Storm. I also played Mario 2, which feels far more wrong as a would-be Mario game than McDonaldland.

Kirby is too easy to hold my attention and Die Hard, while a nice attempt, isn't fun on a D-Pad.

TMNT though, it's hilariously unbalanced. The turtles are identical, except for their weapons, which only seem to differ in size. Donatello's staff is way bigger than the others', so he's the only character worth playing with, unless you're using powerups. The boss fights are the easiest bits of the game. There's one you can kill without moving and there's two others that can't touch you if you get in the right position. There's bits of the game where you have to get hit (ladders and doors, mostly), which means that you're pretty much dead if you need to climb a ladder and you're low on hit points. It doesn't make a lot of sense if you try to relate it to the show, but the range of enemies is pretty satisfying to take out, I kept playing until I beat it.

Wizards & Warriors

Really?

I didn't find it fun at all, you're constantly being attacked by respawning enemies and the level design is quite basic. Same goes for the sequel.

Wizards & Warriors 3, though, is so much evolved that it's almost a different game entirely, with fairly interesting RPG elements. You have three guises: Knight, Wizard or Thief and which one you adopt affects how people react to you, admittedly on a rather basic level. The different outfits also give you various abilities which allow you to access new sections, as you might expect from a Nintendo title. Level design is superb: an expansive palace built directly on top of a city, which is in turn built on top of a series mines and dungeons, with secret passages between the sections. If you haven't played it, I can't recommend it enough. It's developed by Rare.

Really?

I didn't find it fun at all, you're constantly being attacked by respawning enemies and the level design is quite basic. Same goes for the sequel.

I'm kinda viewing it through rose-tinted glasses but it really wasn't too bad a game.

The music was great and the gameplay was challenging, enough so that infinite continues were standard.

No Contra-style Konami code was required.

Wrath of the Black Manta

Crystalis - Best RPG on the system...maybe..

Burai Fighter - excellent shooter

Star Tropics - crazy rpg type game

Super Dodgeball (by river city ransom developers)

Bucky o'Hare

Duck Tales

Bionic commando

OLD TOPIC:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=177694

A POST I ONCE MADE:

I've been playing Rambo quite a bit.

The thing is, it's crap. But... It's like a really crap version of Zelda 2, or even vaguely like Metroid or Castlevania 2 or Battle of Olympus. So, it's kinda good, but in a crap way.

Huge map, very easy to get lost in. Totally weird enemies and designs (pink flamingos?!). Just odd. And yet I like it. You slowly level up and get stronger, there's a password system, NPCs, health packs you can carry, and the sense of getting lost makes a change from so many games which hold your hand. It also has a day/night sequence, since you only have 36 hours to complete the game (36 minutes in reality, I think, or something like that).

It's easier than Battle of Olympus, but it's still a bit of mind bender. And yet I find it satisfying. It's just so unashamedly wonky. Like the design team were making a game for the very first time.

it seems to be by Pack-In-Video, whose quality was a bit up and down (their Die Hard game on the NES is superb though).

Also, to add, try:

Die Hard

Battle of Olympus

Dr Chaos (there's some Metroidvania style sections)