rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
arpaillange

Bubble Bobble HD

They wouldn't look better flat-shaded and with a thicker key-line, that would just not be BB. It's probably best to not take advice off of someone that has never played the game and has no idea of the essence.

Also why not draw in flash?

So you're saying It's given sidechain horrible results?

Yes, for example here:

1rsmiv.jpg

You can see where Flash has smoothed stuff off and the little gaps from using the flood fill tool. Also the colours in the gradients always look a bit "off" to me.

I'd say look at a new style, try out a few different ones.

The beauty of todays hardware is that we can see great detail and textures in the images, hence the HD.

Here's some style ideas (not my own work)

feltcritters_tmb.jpg

zooter_tmb.gif

petulantpets_tmb.jpg

osprimeros_tmb.gif

icons.jpg

Fargal's version is cool.

That's why I love this forum. We can get many different interpretations of the same thing. There's nothing to say the game couldn't have various visual style modes.

I'm going to make some of the characters in 3D and see how they look too.

BTW, it's drawn in Illustrator, not flash. The artwork is nabbed straight off the marquee and blown up. The gaps are because it's not finished.

Bwahaha. You might have something going there actually, Cutouts with drop shadows look super lovely, though I don't know how well that would work in game?

Surprised that you used Illustrator also, they look dead like Flash drawings to me. I AM PROVEN WRONG

Bwahaha. You might have something going there actually, Cutouts with drop shadows look super lovely, though I don't know how well that would work in game?

Surprised that you used Illustrator also, they look dead like Flash drawings to me. I AM PROVEN WRONG

don't illustrator and flash use vector tools though, creating the same looking results? sure illustrator offers more flexibility, but they're pretty indistinguishable.

i really like the felt ones that roskelld posted. in fact i might have a go at creating something similar.

I WAS thinking that, then I went to look at some EARLY southpark stuff, then I got side-tracked by work...

don't illustrator and flash use vector tools though, creating the same looking results? sure illustrator offers more flexibility, but they're pretty indistinguishable.

Depends, people often use the brush tool to draw in flash which often results in wobbly outlines. Flash likes to simplify stuff.

I like those Fuzzy Felt style creatures roskelld posted, be wicked if you could do em like that, since BB is possibly my fave game of all time and I love the pixelart version so much I am vearing between it being sacreligious to update those perfect little sprites and thinking a Paper Marion style bubble bobble would be a cool thing.

Fargal tho, shame on you for not having played BB :) Go play now!

I just had a go at creating a Fuzzy Felt version...

I shouldn't have bothered. I closed PS down after 10 minutes of it just not looking right.

I like the idea of real texture in there though, pixel density allows for such great detail like fluff and cotton, it really brings things to life in a new way.