rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
arpaillange

Bubble Bobble HD

Last night I was browsing XNA projects in an attempt to learn more about the structure of XNA. (XNA is the development system for the Xbox 360 that allows you to produce and distribute your own Xbox Live Arcade titles). I chanced across a semi-finished version of Bubble Bobble for the 360, based on the original game.

I'd love to see an HD version of Bubble Bobble on Live, it's still one of my favourite games. I think it can be done with very little effort from some of you talented forum chaps.

So how about it?

Here's the dragon_0.png tileset from the game:

rrmqec.png

And here's the 400% size increase version:

15qf1h3.jpg

What I'm thinking - we redraw the characters in HD, just like the version of Sonic HD that's being produced. If we collaborate together we can get it done far faster.

The style from the original game flyers is what we should be going for, not the new Bub and Bob games.

Bubble_Bobble_flyer_2.jpg

I'll post updates here, if you want to lend a hand with your pixel drawing skills please do.

A serious question from someone who is clueless about these things:

Don't you think you should get permission from Taito first? Especially if you want to make it a XNA Arcade title. Microsoft may be saying they will take a hands-off approach, but I'm willing to bet a bollock they won't allow copyright infringement

A serious question from someone who is clueless about these things:

Don't you think you should get permission from Taito first? Especially if you want to make it a XNA Arcade title. Microsoft may be saying they will take a hands-off approach, but I'm willing to bet a bollock they won't allow copyright infringement

Not really. It's a "for the love" homebrew project that'll run on Xbox 360s with XNA support. If Taito don't like it they can write me a cease and desist letter, in the mean time, it's all stations go. Sonic 2 HD is in the same boat really, but they're carrying on regardless. At the end of the day, we're making a remake of an awesome 80s game that'd be fun to play (2 player co-op over Live). If the game is playable and solid we can always change the characters.

Old is the isometric style used in the original. New is my version, which I think'll work better for the characters sitting on top. Would be cool to get some dynamic lighting effects and other things going.

157g4yx.jpg

why have you given some characters shading and left some flat colour? i'd pick one or the other personally and make everything work together. i also feel the level elements don't really work with the characters yet either.

you just need to pick a style and make it consistent across all the elements.

why have you given some characters shading and left some flat colour? i'd pick one or the other personally and make everything work together. i also feel the level elements don't really work with the characters yet either.

you just need to pick a style and make it consistent across all the elements.

Which characters are flat shaded?

Have a closer look at the large pic. As it's a WIP thread you can automatically discount any previous images and look at the latest one only, as that's where I am.

Krypt, you fucking legend. I've got a Taito Space Invaders cocktail cab but an upright Bubble Bobble.. oh boy. Soon as I make that million I'm converting my basement into an 80's haven.

I would really recommend against drawing in Flash, I'm guessing that's what you're using (that's what it looks like anyway). As SeanR just said, flat shaded would probably look a lot nicer, also some coloured outlines and a bigger keyline around the characters would probably go down well.

w01_1240.jpg

I'd help out but I've got some stuff of my own to work on at the moment (also I've never played Bubble Bobble before!).

I think Kryptonian will have the answer for whether or not they should be flatshaded.

I wanted to make them look like Apple OSX icons really.

I'll have a doodle when I get in if you don't mind my having a go?

I'm at work just now...

I'd help out but I've got some stuff of my own to work on at the moment (also I've never played Bubble Bobble before!).

What?!?! WHAT?!?!?! Oh Fargal. You have a PC, right? You have MAME surely? Everyone who has a PC has MAME.