Sng

Scrambled Eggs

Every now and again I go to this cafe near my house for a full english. I get scrambled eggs and they're amazing.

Recently I've been doing it at home but it never tastes the same. The flavour is ok but it's the texture. Why?

I use olive oil in the pan, not butter. And don't add salt. But like I said, I'm fine with the flavour.

I slowly add about 1 second of milk per egg and whisk the hell out of it.

Tips?

Ooo, interesting, cheers. He doesn't whisk it before hand... iiiinteresting. And takes it off the heat really early. Almost looks like a thick cream!

I don't whisk it much either, because I stir it constantly as it's cooking. I melt a good tablespoon of butter in a saucepan, fork up six eggs in a big bowl and then pour those into the pan, keeping it on a low light and stirring every 30 seconds or so. Wouldn't dream of adding milk at all. When they're almost done, still slightly wet but in definite curds, I add a tiny bit more butter for extra creaminess for the last minute or two. Probably as unhealthy as hell but creamy and dreamy scrambled eggs every time.

Ooo, interesting, cheers. He doesn't whisk it before hand... iiiinteresting. And takes it off the heat really early. Almost looks like a thick cream!

Pan. Heat. Butter. Olive oil. Eggs. Stir. Cream. Salt. Off.

Rest.

Stir.

Done.

When do you add the grated cheese then? :) I must admit I love scrambled eggs but its only been in the last 3 years or so. I had them as a kid and really hated them... (yet I like boiled/ fried/ omelettes). I still can't make them for shit but will give it a bash this weekend just for jollies.

butter, 3 eggs, dash of tobasco.

In pan, keep stirring, dont overcook, they should be runny. Then take off the heat and keep stirring until the residual heat has died down. add salt at the end.

I tried doing them in my wok, and they were pretty awesome.

Hot wok, dash of oil, pour in the eggs, stir for a while, splash of soy sauce and they're done. It took like 40 seconds or so.

I'm going to attempt a Chinese style omelette next, with a variety of tasty fillings.

Hmmm, looks like I do it slightly differently.

Warm the pan, add butter. Whisk the eggs with milk. Add to the pan and stir constantly. Once it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan, take it off the heat and stir it then back on the heat. Repeat till you have it how you like it. They taste mega to me. Salt and pepper right at the end for me.

I don't stir mine that much, ansd certainly not constantly. I basically make them like an omelette but never let it set and break it up a bit as it's forming, so you get nice big pieces. I always have it wobbly/runny though, and I never use milk, only butter.

I had four scrambled eggs for tea last night, after a marathon journey back from my parents (damn M1 closure!). Unfortunately, we had no bread or brown sauce so it was a bittersweet meal.

Just cooked in a little butter with some freshly ground black pepper, served when they're still a bit runny. I'm not a fan of ultra-creamy scrambled eggs as they can get a bit sickly, so I don't add any extra butter, cream or milk.

This is the key. Plus, use decent eggs.

This is the key. Plus, use decent eggs.

Burford Brown eggs I reckon. The hens only lay about 5 a week (10 or more from your common or garden) meaning a thicker shell, richer yolk and albumen which sticks together like glue.

Re: milk in scrambled eggs - not a fan. Always told it was to lengthen the eggs ie. get more scramble for your money? But dilutes taste, no?

Re: continual stirring - i think this determines flavour IMO. Or, perhaps more correctly how your tasebuds experience the flavour perhaps? When I don't stir and then split the solidifying mass at a late stage into larger morsels it's pretty much like an omelette; when i do stir and keep it nice and thin with smaller eggy crumbs then it seems more like scramble.

Will always love scrambled eggs though either way. My favourite part of Christmas day is breakfast - smoked salmon (squeeze of fresh lemon, cracked black pepper) with a few capers for that salty mediterranean bite and a mound of scrambled eggs (still wet and sticky and unctuous). With a glass of champagne, of course! :)

Will always love scrambled eggs though either way. My favourite part of Christmas day is breakfast - smoked salmon (squeeze of fresh lemon, cracked black pepper) with a few capers for that salty mediterranean bite and a mound of scrambled eggs (still wet and sticky and unctuous). With a glass of champagne, of course! :)

Ooh, I've just got my Christmas breakfast sorted :)

Obviously, this will have to be tested in the next few weeks. Just to make sure it's suitable like.

Right, usually I:

Whisk up eggs, then 1 teaspoon of milk for every egg used and a pinch of salt for every egg as well.

Whisk up fully

Bang them on the heat

Contstant stirring - usually in a circular motion.

Done.

Just done it as per the video above however - albeit with no Crème fraîche or chives - fucking gorgeous!

I like Ramsay's stuff ordinarily, but that's not how I like my scrambled eggs:

1) What's with all this frantic stirring?

2) Creme Fraiche at the end!?

3) Chives!?

4) No butter on the bread?!

They don't even look yellow when he's finished. Still, at least it's not a runny mess like Delia's.

When do you add the grated cheese then? :) I must admit I love scrambled eggs but its only been in the last 3 years or so. I had them as a kid and really hated them... (yet I like boiled/ fried/ omelettes). I still can't make them for shit but will give it a bash this weekend just for jollies.

I used to add the cheese when they were just about ready to take off the heat. :)

Aye, put me in the 'no milk' camp as well. Just eggs, butter, salt. No whisking, just keep breaking them up in the pan and make sure you don't dry them out by overcooking. They're nice and glossy that way, and the moisture is pure egginess, not some horrid egg/milk hybrid liquid. Brr.

The only issue is how much to stir them in the pan, from constantly to fairly occasionally, which as dunkle says determines the fluffiness and mouth feel.

The way I do my scrambled eggs is get some butter heating in a low heat pan (low heat is essential) while I whisk up some eggs, milk and a bit of salt and pepper. When the butter's bubbling away (make sure it isn't burnt!), chuck in the solution and then use a trusty wooden spoon to slowly stir the solution. When there's a tiny bit of liquid left in the pan, turn off the heat and use the remaining heat from the hob to finish them off. Add a knob of butter to melt in. Voila! I actually experimented with - get this - maple syrup in the mixture and it was pretty tasty albeit a bit weird.

Speaking of eggs, I've dusted off the frying pan and treating myself to lovely fried egg sarnies - big old slabs of bread from Greggs and ketchup. Nomnomnom.