Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - fighting games are dead/coming back

It was a Spooky stream so the archive should be available on www.justin.tv/teamspooky/videos

I'm doing this from work where basically everything is blocked so can't check, if that doesn't work spell "spooky" in the URL with zeros, they do that sometimes.

I have rebought this because I've decided I didn't give it enough of a go earlier in the year before I traded it, it's better than Mortal Kombat and I could get it from Game for £2 which seems a fair price.

I don't know if they've got the archive up yet, it was only on last night and it usually takes them a few days to get everything on youtube and edited down into individual sets.

look on eventhubs.com though, i guess. They tend to have links in the comments sections related to the event you're after.

It really was linked in the post above. Yasawas' post.

www.justin.tv/teamspooky/videos

All the CEO archive footage is there in the links accross the bottom.

Haggar's right that neither Revelations nor CEO have been edited and Youtubed yet, but for the raw stream archive you just need to check the relevant JustinTV or Ustream page the day after the event.

So Justin and Floe are talking about using Phoenix now, ha. Seriously though, I find it hilarious that those guys all bitch about her so much yet never seemed to mind how broken Sentinel originally was and were happily trotting out Thank God for the Machine quotes like it was going out of fashion back when he was first announced and was shown to be utterly ridiculous. And besides, in the final between Justin and Tokido, the decisive factor wasn't Phoenix at all, it was which Wolverine got their hit in first. But no, Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix waaaaah, nevermind She-Hulk's won more tourneys than she has. Anyway, can't wait for Evo and to see what happens next.

If there's one thing I've really like since the game's release, it's that all those initial predictions about characters were way off base. Wolverine and She-Hulk were described as garbage, Chun Li was down as being the 'Best Character And Best Assist In The Game', Arthur's king of zoning and impossible to deal with, Phoenix is too weak to bother with, everyone will just stick with Team MSS, etc.

Ha, yeah, it's the classic fighting game tier list evolution, it just tends to happen much faster and more dramatically in the versus games. Marvel 2 in particular went through a crazy amount of change (Iceman is broken!) until the best of the best were weeded out and became dominant. In fairness with Sentinel though, plenty of top players still don't think that such a dramatic health nerf was necessary or that he was all that broken in the first place. Something appearing to be impossible to beat in the first month or two isn't necessarily a game-breaking issue for a game that could see competitive play for many years.

Hello everyone, I've been registered on here for a long long time but haven't really been about for an equally long time. I'm trying to find some people who regularly play MvC3 online who wouldn't mind dealing with a relative noob for a while. (I've played a lot of arcade mode and some online but my current Xbox friends list don't seem that interested in the game any more.)

My gamertag is Blue5wirl (note the five), I'll try and clear some space in my friends list this evening.

Cheers much.

I've played basically zero MVC3 (I got bodied by Singho a few times one night and that's it) but I've got a rented disc for a few days more if you want some fights against someone with even less experience than you! My gamertag is ALI5T4RR. note the five and four, i guess!

If you have a mic then turn it on so we can swap probably-useless advice from our limited pools of knowledge (for example I know one combo with wolverine and that sometimes mashing all the buttons makes pretty things happen).

Ha, yeah, it's the classic fighting game tier list evolution, it just tends to happen much faster and more dramatically in the versus games. Marvel 2 in particular went through a crazy amount of change (Iceman is broken!) until the best of the best were weeded out and became dominant. In fairness with Sentinel though, plenty of top players still don't think that such a dramatic health nerf was necessary or that he was all that broken in the first place. Something appearing to be impossible to beat in the first month or two isn't necessarily a game-breaking issue for a game that could see competitive play for many years.

Of course you're right that it was certainly very early to be changing things but at the same time, it really struck me as a bit much to have a reasonably easy to use guy with insane damage, strong assists and supers, goddamn super armour *and* the most health of anyone on the entire roster. Compare that to guys like Viper, Hsien Ko or (ha) Haggar, where you need to put in shitloads more effort to stand a chance with them and even then, you've a real job on your hands. At least in Phoenix's case, from day one she'd die if you sneezed on her and requires both time and a hell of a lot of meter restraint if you want to abuse her undeniable OP'd craziness.

I watched the match at lunchtime and Phoenix is hardly a factor at all - as <R> says it was more about whose Wolverine got the first hit in. Only saw it on youtube so I'll be digging out the stream archive after as I really want to hear what Yipes said afterwards; I only heard "something needs to be done about Phoenix, we need a patch" then the video ended. That's right, Yipes, one of your players got narrowly beaten so you need a patch to stop it happening again. My eyes.

Yipes has been super super salty about Phoenix since week 1. Again, I wish people would just look at the Combofiend approach to Phoenix and just man up. That's generally how fighting games have worked up until very recently; if you lose to something "cheap" and you're upset about it then you learn how to beat it. If, over a sustained period, it becomes apparent that nothing beats it, then start talking about rebalancing or soft banning or whatever.

People cry for patches the day after a game comes out now and it's getting stupid. It's Marvel, it's ridiculous and random, I don't see why it's suddenly a problem now. Coming from one of the Marvel 2 "gods" it's particularly ridiculous. They still haven't patched out that MVC2 Magneto infinite. What an outrage. As much as I generally like Yipes I suspect that part of this is that he's struggled with the transition to Marvel 3 more than he thought he would.

Of course, netherealm haven't helped things by releasing a game that seems to actually need patching on a weekly basis, but I'm still surprised at how trigger happy Capcom were with a balance patch.

As a relative know-nothing I couldn't really tell how much of a problem Phoenix was for Jwong - I got the feeling that he was playing really well to win the games he won, and he only really needed to drop one combo to lose a game, but that might just have been my perception. Still, it's not necessarily as simple as pointing out that in half the games she didn't even transform, because all of his effort was going into stopping her transforming - he activated xfactor within ten seconds of the round starting more than once, for example, which makes the post-Phoenicide game that much harder even though she wasn't necessarily a factor in any other way.

Still, if she's that good then everyone just needs to put her on their team like everyone had Sentinel on their team in MVC2, right? Either beat it or join it.

[/ignorant opinions]

Oh Phoenix does dictate the opponent's gameplan for sure, but then it does for the Phoenix player as well. The opponent has to snap her in and take risks to try and get her dead before five bars, but then the Phoenix player has to turn down DHC glitches and free damage or build a team of batteries if they want to ensure that she gets those bars. The point you touch on about using your X factor to kill her and then having the rest of the game weighted in favour of the opponent even if you have more characters is definitely valid, and I'd say that if anything at all is to be patched then it's X Factor itself.

Yeah, that makes sense. Again, as someone who only has an occasional interest in the game I'd probably rather see the characters stay the way they are but xfactor changed a bit. Level 3 X factor Sentinel would be less scary if X factor wasn't so beastly or didn't last so long at level 3.

But then hey, people complained about ultra combos in SF4 and Capcom's response was to give each character two of them, so what do we know.

Wolverine is fairly widely believed to be the best character in the game at the moment, so a lot of players will put taking out Wolverine as their top priority in a match and burn X-Factor to do so, so it is a possibility.. Wolverine with Level 3 X-factor is unmanageable, he can be a touch of death character without it, his most basic rushdown is still extremely hard to defend against and he has above average life for no particular reason at all.

And yes, it is pretty common for players to have their friends/cronies coaching them during the match. Some tournaments don't allow it, but if it's not in the rules then people will go up on stage with the players. The main stage at Evo doesn't usually allow it, and funnily enough the novelty Mystery Game tournaments also enforce a no coaching rule because not knowing how to play each game that comes up is the point of the thing and coaching would ruin it.

Yep, he switched to Tron for the final. Yipes and Chen were surprised, but he'd clearly been sitting there calculating furiously and working out his new plan after losing on the way to finals.

...and he has above average life for no particular reason at all.

It's because of his adamantium skeleton, dummy.

Well then surely he should also get his red life (and yellow life) back faster than the other characters too.

Funnily enough, the Sentinel life nerf does make sense if you look at it from that perspective too, because those things are pretty easily destroyed.

I like that Tronne is still a really sketchy anchor for everyone except Clakey D, where she's arguably the strongest part of his team.

And yes, it is pretty common for players to have their friends/cronies coaching them during the match. Some tournaments don't allow it, but if it's not in the rules then people will go up on stage with the players. The main stage at Evo doesn't usually allow it, and funnily enough the novelty Mystery Game tournaments also enforce a no coaching rule because not knowing how to play each game that comes up is the point of the thing and coaching would ruin it.

I did find it unfair that during the bouts Justin Wong was getting 'info' on how to tackle Tokido because he was pretty much struggling through the game. Glad Evo got it right.

Yeah, but the people who were talking to him had obviously been beaten, so who knows if their info was any good or not. I'm a bit sad that we never see arthur in any big marvel finals.

The point still stands though because it does give an unfair advantage I feel.