rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Liquid Myth

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - fighting games are dead/coming back

Joffo, G-Force on Union Street sell new releases from Wednesday onward every time I've been after something, should be on the shelves today.

Yeah, I might swing down on lunch. Probably just to tut at their G-Force prices and march back to work in a huff. :(

Got this delivered from Gameplay and forgot to check the price when I pre-ordered - £34.99! FFS. I thought I might not be able to resist but it turns out due to Arkham Asylum and DoDonPachi R and an imminent weekend trip, I can so back it goes.

It sounds frankly ridiculous to even suggest it but if anyone really can't wait an extra day and can get to Moorgate Tube by, well, I'll be here until early evening I reckon, it's yours for that ungodly sum (sorry). Only caveat, Rllmuk gets blocked by work at 2.00pm ("Games") so you'll need to PM me by then. Mint, sealed in box, RAR3!!!111 etc.

I watched the last two hours in a sleepy haze this morning, Combofiend is a cut above as ever (and still proving the power of Hawkeye) but Cl0ckwork had already been knocked out. How's his Strider? I want tips! Lots of tips.

Just went and bought this on lunch from G Force like Yasawas recommended. £27.99, but fuck it, I have free time tonight and I wanna be in lobbies (DESPITE ALSO OWNING SKYWARD SWORD OMG!).

I watched the last two hours in a sleepy haze this morning, Combofiend is a cut above as ever (and still proving the power of Hawkeye) but Cl0ckwork had already been knocked out. How's his Strider? I want tips! Lots of tips.

Not seen much of it, but generally just very quick and confusing I think (just like the rest of this game...)

The other noteworthy thing they kept talking about was that nobody thinks Phoenix Wright is going to be any good, which is a bit sad.

Not seen much of it, but generally just very quick and confusing I think (just like the rest of this game...)

The other noteworthy thing they kept talking about was that nobody thinks Phoenix Wright is going to be any good, which is a bit sad.

I guess I'll have to check it out myself when I get some time tomorrow then!

Phoenix Wright is monstrously difficult to use. I haven't even managed to collect all 3 bits of correct evidence in a match yet, let alone get to Turnabout mode! He's just so vulnerable, even with assist and maya protection.

Joffo! I'd totally play you tonight, but I have a friend's birthday party to attend. How very dare he I know. I bet Choo will read this and feel obligated to fight/teach you though. Good old peer pressure.

Whee! I'm pretty excited even though it might as well be the exact same game for how little I played the last one. Hype pressure!

I guess I'll have to check it out myself when I get some time tomorrow then!

Okay so just saw another game of his and here are two of his super secret tactics, as observed by me and therefore possibly just both gross misunderstandings of what's going on:

1. when you have the meter, use the orb thing super and do a bunch of teleporting and mixing up with it to get in

2. when you don't want to use meter or x factor, try to use resets in your combos rather than going for max damage, because otherwise you won't do much damage in total (ultradavid helped me with this one)

I'm not going to bother using my frankly useless team of Hsien Ko (who uses her Hyper armour super and swaps out), Morrigan, Taskmaster when I start playing tonight. I'll go into mission mode for Captain Falcon. Who else would pair up well and help me get a good grounding in the game? Is all that Storm stuff complex to perform? I quit like Doom's style. Also, I think he says something hilarious but I can't remember what it is.

Okay so just saw another game of his and here are two of his super secret tactics, as observed by me and therefore possibly just both gross misunderstandings of what's going on:

1. when you have the meter, use the orb thing super and do a bunch of teleporting and mixing up with it to get in

2. when you don't want to use meter or x factor, try to use resets in your combos rather than going for max damage, because otherwise you won't do much damage in total (ultradavid helped me with this one)

Yeah, the orb spam is basically why I think of him as a very cheap Phoenix. Just mash buttons and get free combos! He's also very fast, so doing high-low mixups are pretty easy to do when you've got the space in front of you covered by a million blue spheres. I will have to work on his mix up game, as I'm still not really sure what he could use as a standard combo ender to get a mix up opportunity. Probably just an air S will suffice. Then you can set up a teleport shenanigan with an assist I guess. Speculation science!

I'm not going to bother using my frankly useless team of Hsien Ko (who uses her Hyper armour super and swaps out), Morrigan, Taskmaster when I start playing tonight. I'll go into mission mode for Captain Falcon. Who else would pair up well and help me get a good grounding in the game? Is all that Storm stuff complex to perform? I quit like Doom's style. Also, I think he says something hilarious but I can't remember what it is.

I think Storm has some tricky execution heavy flight mode air combos. She's also a bit floaty and strange but she's supposed to be pretty good if you can master her. Also Doom sits on a chair for one of his Hypers which makes him officially lazier than Rufus.

I like to think I'd be happy to take on the challenge of an excecution heavy character despite the fact I would frequently jump straight up in Penutimate MvC3 instead of forward or back.

Pressure is not required for me to lobby. Storm is a pretty good choice as you can get solid damage without the tricky stuff too! MAHVEL!

Doctor Doom says "Hard Kick!" when he does a hard kick, which is something I love about him.

Imagine a team of arthur, rocket raccoon and hawkeye, lads.

Yes! Yes! That's it! I love that.

Lobby is happening now! Everyone welcome. I can guarantee that i will always be up for lobbies if that's enough nate?

I dunno, will you play one-handed to even it up a bit? :lol: I'm really keen to get good at this but the amount of work involved in finding a team just terrifies me.

Is it a fairly big jump over the original? Vanilla to Super? I didn't like the first game much, but apart from the lag I think that was mainly my own fault for not reading enough. I'll see if I can LOVEFiLM it when the Brady guide's out. Having a guide made Third Strike so much easier to learn. Shoryuken's an absolute mess when it comes to info, as ever.

Pretty much exactly like Vanilla to Super - same kind of number of new characters, very slight reduction of the power of certain high-damage gimmicks (while leaving a bunch of 'em still important), and the addition of spectator lobbies.

And yes, still really the same game behind all that.

As for Shoryuken, James Chen mentioned on WNF (linked above) that he was hoping to get a bunch of information into their UMVC3 wiki over the next couple of days, so that might be worth keeping an eye out for. Their wiki pages have never quite satisfied me, though, as much effort as you can see has gone into some of them.

• Upvote 1

I will only buy this tomorrow if lobbies are guaranteed. Are lobbies guaranteed? I might even buy the guide. Yikes.

If my postman brings me my copy tomorrow then I will be playing all day. And I will be terrible at it.

I don't think the guide is out until next week, though.

I dunno, will you play one-handed to even it up a bit? :lol: I'm really keen to get good at this but the amount of work involved in finding a team just terrifies me.

I was saying with Joffo earlier, don't worry about 'finding' a team. A lot of the time you can pick up three random character and work out that they have some good combined strategies.

Most characters have something good to DHC into and even if they don't you might find a beneficial assist or a good setup if you reorder them.

Given how quickly Joffo was improving earlier I reckon rllmuk lobbies could make this game work! :sherlock:

Thanks for the lessons sir! It was all really helpful stuff; from getting hype about this and watching a few videos, learning more than I'd known before and having you coach me and giving me opportunities to test out the stuff you recommend I already enjoy this way, way more than I did last time around. Lovely.

Also, that Hawkeye stuff you were busting out was hilariously excellent and intimidating. I can't even imagine how things will pan out when I try to go proper toe to toe with you down the line. Probably much like any other combo video I guess. :wacko:

Deffo up for some lobbies on this!

Going to be dragging out my stock team of VJ, Arthur and Deadpool and see how far it gets me. Only played vs against a handful of people and randoms.

I'm thinking of switching out Deadpool for Rocket Raccoon though. Simply because, I'll then have a Mighty Midget Team and he's a damn Raccoon!

Cheers Joffo! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I don't think you're far off those tricky combos yourself!

I'm all over this game right now. The new characters feel nice and individual and the combos are as satisfying as ever. Finished Hawkeye, Strange, Trish and Storm's challenges earlier. Tricky puzzles in the later challenges with added mascore but it's nice to see new tech for the old characters. The new character select screen makes me happy far more than it should.

Watching the wednesday night fights archive atm because there is no such thing as too much marvel. :D

Watching the wednesday night fights archive atm because there is no such thing as too much marvel. :D

Keep an eye out for Phoenix and Wolverine.

I'm off work, the house is full of snacks, I have no plans all weekend and my girl is going out with friends tonight without even stopping in at any point to say hello. The only thing that could possibly go wrong is the postman not delivering my copy of this game, which is exactly what just happened.

I guess if anyone fancies playing street fighter later then I'll be around.

I'm off work, the house is full of snacks, I have no plans all weekend and my girl is going out with friends tonight without even stopping in at any point to say hello. The only thing that could possibly go wrong is the postman not delivering my copy of this game, which is exactly what just happened.

I guess if anyone fancies playing street fighter later then I'll be around.

If mine doesn't arrive I'm going to spend the evening playing IK+.