rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yiggy

Camera Creativity Technical Thread

Its the first beta,and it expires next april....

Will probably buy it this time instead of warez'ing it...

I bought LR2 and love it - well worth the money. Just downloaded the beta.

Question: I'm only just dipping into the world of post processing, so playing around with a few things. Is there a way using Lighroom 2.0 to have a portion of a B&W image colour. For example the flag in this image. I know it can be done in PS, but I only have Lightroom at the min.

DSC_0038.jpg

Don't think anyone replied to this.

Yes, you can do it in Lightroom, at least to an extent - the Adjustment Brush has "saturation" as one of its effects, and dropping the saturation to 0 is one of the ways to go B&W. There's more to a nice B&W picture than just that, of course, and I expect if you'd made it greyscale by choosing that from the "HSL/Greyscale" tabs rather than desaturating the whole picture it wouldn't work.

Hey. Guy at my uni's selling a Canon 200mm f/2.8 L fix-focal lens for £340. I'm pretty sure this is an awesome price, however he tells me the focus ring is a bit sloppy and requires a squeeze to operate. I suppose I'll have to check it out. I do have the money, but only due to a student loan. I don't have a tele of any sort as of yet. Will I miss being able to zoom? It'll be 320mm effectively as it's on a crop camera. Basically I'm umming and erring, not sure if this would be a sensible decision or an indulgence.

(<- photography / camera noobie)

I picked up a 500D last weekend and yesterday was the first time I've taken it out for a proper play. A lot of the shots were just basic landscapes where I wanted everything in focus, so I set my F number high and let the camera work out the appropriate shutter speed, using the AP mode on the camera. I shot everything in RAW and the first thing I noticed when bringing the pictures in to Adobe Elements is just how blurred they seem to be. Or at least I think they are, certainly when viewed at 100% I'm a little disappointed. The attachment was shot as follows: f14 / 1/200 / iso 200. I've cropped it horizontally to keep the file size down but it's 100% original size, JPEG compression set to best etc.

post-6745-031179400 1284902522_thumb.jpg

No area seems to be more / less blurred so I'm assuming the aperture was suitably set for the wide DOF that I wanted.

So, question one, why is it blurred? I would assume the shutter speed is quick enough to not be causing problems, particularly given the lens has IS. (I am using the standard kit lens). And secondly, when taking 'flat' pictures and assuming there's sufficient light, is it generally advisable to use the highest possible F number? My limited understanding is, that with the 55mm lens, I'm not going to be able to obtain much DOF at longer distances, is that right?

I'd hazard a guess that it's the standard lens that's causing a slight softness - the glass isn't fantastic on those lenses, particularly at the budget end of the market. Certainly there's no real DOF in that image so that's not your problem. It is possible the autofocus is slightly out of whack, try maybe try go manual and see if that improves things.

I just typed out mirroring what petrol said abotu cheap glass being a bit poo.. but then I clicked on the picture, and it shouldnt look taht bad... were you using a tripod ????

All of the follwing were shot on my old 450d with the kit lens, should give you an idea of what it should look like...

I just typed out mirroring what petrol said abotu cheap glass being a bit poo.. but then I clicked on the picture, and it shouldnt look taht bad... were you using a tripod ????

All of the follwing were shot on my old 450d with the kit lens, should give you an idea of what it should look like...

If you view the original image of some of the landscape shots at 1:1 then you can see some definite softness. The 500D has a higher resolution sensor than the 450D AFAIK which will only exacerbate the problem.

I've been doing a little bit of digging, could it be related to hyper focal distance? On most of the pictures I took, I was using center point focussing which would have been locking on to the ground a considerable way in to the distance.

(<- photography / camera noobie)

I picked up a 500D last weekend and yesterday was the first time I've taken it out for a proper play. A lot of the shots were just basic landscapes where I wanted everything in focus, so I set my F number high and let the camera work out the appropriate shutter speed, using the AP mode on the camera. I shot everything in RAW and the first thing I noticed when bringing the pictures in to Adobe Elements is just how blurred they seem to be. Or at least I think they are, certainly when viewed at 100% I'm a little disappointed. The attachment was shot as follows: f14 / 1/200 / iso 200. I've cropped it horizontally to keep the file size down but it's 100% original size, JPEG compression set to best etc.

post-6745-031179400 1284902522_thumb.jpg

No area seems to be more / less blurred so I'm assuming the aperture was suitably set for the wide DOF that I wanted.

So, question one, why is it blurred? I would assume the shutter speed is quick enough to not be causing problems, particularly given the lens has IS. (I am using the standard kit lens). And secondly, when taking 'flat' pictures and assuming there's sufficient light, is it generally advisable to use the highest possible F number? My limited understanding is, that with the 55mm lens, I'm not going to be able to obtain much DOF at longer distances, is that right?

Before anything, viewing pictures at 100% is going to make them all look a bit average. To get something utterly razor sharp at that size will cost you an utter fortune and won't make much difference. What matters is that when printed at a reasonable size, after being reduced and post-processed (including being sharpened, significantly) - if you still have problems then you're allowed to worry, but you don't need to before. That said...

So, question one, why is it blurred? - You're a little bit under exposed, which won't help. Obviously you don't want it to be too far the other way, but until you reach that point the picture quality will improve the more light there is. Whilst 1/200 is quick enough to handhold, it wasn't long enough for that shot. It's not far off, but enough to make a little bit of a difference. Also, totally ignore the fact you have IS. It's a nice bonus to have, but compared to some compacts the amount of movement it can reduce is extremely limited, especially when used without a flash.

Is it generally advisable to use the highest possible F number? - Short answer, no. For any lens, but particularly cheaper ones, you want to use everything more or less in the middle. It depends on the lens where the very best bit is, but it'll be something like "about 35mm" and "about f10" where you get the best possible image quality from yours. The aperture being wide open or more or less closed will both damage the quality of the image - entirely different reasons, but the same end result.

You can definitely get better lenses than the kit lens, but it is pretty good for the money. The older version, without IS, was a terrible lens by any standards but the one you have got is fine.

DOF is a whole subject on its own, and doesn't affect this image in any significant way, but this is bloody handy:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

tl;dr - It's fine.

• Upvote 1