What single game best sums up the current gen?

smac

How do any of these games sum up this gen?

Crackdown, for reasons mentioned by many.

MGS4, alogn similar lines. Very 'new' and glossy experience (although I must say I wasn't a huge fan of it, it was still very next-gen though).

PES, an utterly revolutionary overhaul of established control systems, and a great success.

Easy, Metal Gear Solid 4 - Excellent playability, great music, interesting narrative, plus it has the best real-time cut scenes i've seen in gaming so far. Plus the game pushes the tech it's hosted on.

It's so far ahead of it's time even now. My only hope is that Midnight Club LA (Strangely missing from any E3 coverage that I've seen) copies it immensely and improves on all it's ambition.

So, it doesn't really sum up this gen then. I'd say test drive was an example of something very un-this gen. As are things like EDF. Excellent games but in no way indicative of this gen.

There isn't one game that sums up this entire gen you fucking idiots. You might as well be discussing which fruit best sums up the wide variety of fruits available today.

Interesting. I'd say it's the apple because of it's versatility. Afterall you can just eat the skin, the inside, or both! You can even make a nice pie or crumble with it.

Funnily enough, I actually prefer bananas now though and I never used to like them.

Mind you, that's just my opinion...my contribution to a discussion. Sorry if that makes me a 'fucking idiot'.

I do see your point, even if you make it pretty badly but some games are defining a generation for people. For me, it is COD4. A solid campaign with a large online community that basically makes every game different. It's worth it's money 10 times over and games like it are meaning that I actually buy fewer games. That's a different discussion, of course, but it is something that I have pondered for a while.

Skate. It's a wonderful freeform game that is both challenging and extremely fun to learn to be competant at then actually be good at it.

The online is sublime.

Yesssss.

Beautiful visuals, excellent online play that can be entirely competitive or just fun to mess around in, and innovative controls that instantly kicked the shit out of a well-established franchise that had hitherto defined the genre.

Doesn't perfectly sum up this generation as a whole, and it probably could've been made a long time ago. But it's a shining example of how this generation can still innovate without having to add yet another peripheral.

May I be the first to say "huh"?

What at the fake bit or just that game?

If you meant the fake bit, i'll explain....

It was cleverly faked because the cars you see are not drawn all the way to the point where you are IF your high on a building. They disappear before they get to you so they're drawn according to what the game thinks you can see or based on how high you are.

I'm terribly anal about such things. Really silly things like pop-up and explosions and small graphical cheats. I mean, for the most part its fair to say many games like a FPS/3PS following a generic pattern we've all played so gameplay isn't usually an issue - but immersion is and i think we've seen more emphasis towards that and Crackdown, for me, highlights that really well.

I could have said Saints Row, but its illusion was shattered by pop-up.

What at the fake bit or just that game?

If you meant the fake bit, i'll explain....

It was cleverly faked because the cars you see are not drawn all the way to the point where you are IF your high on a building. They disappear before they get to you so they're drawn according to what the game thinks you can see or based on how high you are.

I'm terribly anal about such things. Really silly things like pop-up and explosions and small graphical cheats. I mean, for the most part its fair to say many games like a FPS/3PS following a generic pattern we've all played so gameplay isn't usually an issue - but immersion is and i think we've seen more emphasis towards that and Crackdown, for me, highlights that really well.

I could have said Saints Row, but its illusion was shattered by pop-up.

There's something special about Crackdown; it's the only gamed I can recall where I've ever really felt something. I was attempting to scale the Agency Tower, partly because of wanting the base-jumping achievement, but also just because. And the adrenaline was really pumping - it was quite a strange experience to be genuinely worried about falling, my heart was beating damn fast. And the feeling (and lovely view, it was at night too) I got when I was up there was that of pride; I was stupidly pleased that I'd beaten the puzzle of how to get up there. Lovely, thrilling game.

I'd say achievements have had quite an impact on this gen, too. I think they've possibly done more to get more people finishing games that anything else before it, plus they've helped to extend the lifetime of many games, and given people reason to do things outside of what is required simply to finish a title when they are done well. Although I realise answer that doesn't fit the question.

It was more obvious in Crackdown....you can see it at any level actually....cars leaving the exit ramp at the starting, etc. It still looks really good though.

I do hate FPS games that have all these fly overs and things and don't populate them.

Its like a racing game with no crowds or population.

I like to think that the Game 2.0 concept will be what really defines the next few years in gaming.

By Game 2.0 I mean things like the easy creation and dissemination of user created content, the integration of game clip recording and screenshot taking whilst within a game for uploading onto the Web, and the development of integrated game communities.

Halo 3 is one of the first titles to bring a lot of this together, along with the PS3 release of Singstar.

Hopefully, in October LittleBigPlanet will be the next big Game 2.0 release.

PixelJunk Eden which is release at the end July, will have seemless integration with YouTube for uploading gameplay clips. Buzz on the PS3 has User generated quizzes you can create and upload.

A lot of these things have been around on the PC for ages, but have lacked simplicity and integration. Now that consoles are online and have storage capabilities, this has opened a whole new horizon beyond single player experiences and online death matches. People will be able to design and upload content with ease and have a strong feedback loop to build on so that they can improve. Integrated game communities will rate content much like YouTube and ensure the best stuff is easy to find.

Isn't this gen now all about stealing the idea that sells and producing a worse version of it for the masses? So look no further than Boogie on Wii:

Rip off someone else's good idea? - check!

Make a poor job of it? - check!

Targeting the "casual gamer"? - check!

It's all there!

Hmm. Anyway, proper votes for Crackdown and Mario Galaxy, both of which made made me think "woweehoo I'm there!" in their own sweet way.

Burnout Paradise. The game has everything, especially the innovative use of the camera, fantastic multiplayer. Updates on tracked friends achievements via a ticker. Massive sandbox open world with awesome graphics, free downlaodable updates. The best crash graphics ever. (I can't imagine how they get them this good!). All bases covered. Not my fave game but sums up this generation for me.

I like to think that the Game 2.0 concept will be what really defines the next few years in gaming.

By Game 2.0 I mean things like the easy creation and dissemination of user created content, the integration of game clip recording and screenshot taking whilst within a game for uploading onto the Web, and the development of integrated game communities.

Halo 3 is one of the first titles to bring a lot of this together, along with the PS3 release of Singstar.

Hopefully, in October LittleBigPlanet will be the next big Game 2.0 release.

PixelJunk Eden which is release at the end July, will have seemless integration with YouTube for uploading gameplay clips. Buzz on the PS3 has User generated quizzes you can create and upload.

A lot of these things have been around on the PC for ages, but have lacked simplicity and integration. Now that consoles are online and have storage capabilities, this has opened a whole new horizon beyond single player experiences and online death matches. People will be able to design and upload content with ease and have a strong feedback loop to build on so that they can improve. Integrated game communities will rate content much like YouTube and ensure the best stuff is easy to find.

wow, you should write press releases

Super Mario Galaxy and Portal for single player awesome and innovation, Call of Duty 4 for it's multiplayer aspects...

Funnily enough, none of those exhibit the tell tale sign of this generation - vsync related tearing! :ph34r:

yep, it would be something with tearing for this gen.

lazy developers with eyes bigger than their bellies.

possibly something with tearing, tits and blood also.