Pikmin 3!

Rev

Not really worth a thread, but who cares. It's Pikmin, the game that I most wanted to see a Wii version of when the discussion of pointers first came about:

About 30 minutes ago a demonstration and Q+A by Shigeru Miyamoto was taking place at E3. I’m sure it was fun.

Then something wonderful happened. Surrounded by dull questions, someone asks whether or not a new Pikmin is in the works. Miyamoto responds that he’ll only announce such a game when he is ready.

And then says “We’re making Pikmin”

Add that to the more casual stuff at the conference proper and things are suddenly looking a lot better for Nintendo again - pointer driven Pikmin is bound to be the best thing ever.

Apparently from NeoGaf. Certainly for JoyStiq. Wordiness from Disposable Media, just...cos.

But Pikmin!

Isn't this a bit like the Zelda 'announcement'. I don't think anybody is at all surprised that it is being worked on. I bet there are people working on the next smash brothers game and mario kart already.

I am glad that it is in development but that could mean anything. It could be 6 months away or 3 years or maybe get canned at some point. If they are doing low key reveals like this then they need to put even the smallest snippet of info to go with it.

I just get the feeling that they are doing this as a reaction to their awful E3 show to try and get the 'core' back on board.

See also the comment about a new Halo game. Like anyone actually believed that bungie would never make another Halo game.

This is a surprise?

Nintendo might as well say "we're working on new versions of everything", because it's probably true, they're a franchise-driven company.

It's not a question of what is coming out, but when.

This is a surprise?

Nintendo might as well say "we're working on new versions of everything", because it's probably true, they're a franchise-driven company.

It is. Nintendo have abandoned franchises before you know.

It is. Nintendo have abandoned franchises before you know.

I'm sure they've looked into sequels for everything, but ran out of concepts / ideas for that franchise.

Although that didn't stop them with Zelda :)

This is a surprise?

It's not a surprise, no, but for those people who complain that Nintendo has forgotten the so-called core gamers, it's a reminder that they haven't. Those core games are still being made, but Nintendo are - rightly or wrongly - choosing not to shout about them until they're near completion.

I still haven't unsealed my copy of Pikmin 2 yet. It just never seems to quite make it to the top of my To Play list.

You really should. Last week I sold copies of Chibi Robo, Paper Mario 2 and Zelda: TP GC on ebay. But I couldn't bring myself to get rid of Pikmin 2. It's fantastic - about 1000x better than the original.

I'm excited about this really enjoyed the first one. I just had a look at prices for Pikmin 2 and the cheapest I could find was £45 :) Gamecube prices are mental: £65 for MGS: The Twin Snakes anyone or how about £55 for Chibi Robo? It is a shame because I thought I'd be able to bulk out my GC collection with some of the classics now the newest gen is here, but sadly I can't pay those prices at the moment. Do you think those prices will ever come down like the N64 has or do you think, owing to scarcity, they will be always be over-priced?

I'm excited about this really enjoyed the first one. I just had a look at prices for Pikmin 2 and the cheapest I could find was £45 :) Gamecube prices are mental: £65 for MGS: The Twin Snakes anyone or how about £55 for Chibi Robo? It is a shame because I thought I'd be able to bulk out my GC collection with some of the classics now the newest gen is here, but sadly I can't pay those prices at the moment. Do you think those prices will ever come down like the N64 has or do you think, owing to scarcity, they will be always be over-priced?

MGS is probably a spike due to MGS4. Chibi Robo only had a limited run so will probably always retain it's value.

Nintendo games always seem to hold their value. They're always in demand.

Don't know were you got those prices from, but I've seen all those titles selling for far less than that in the trading folder in here. In fact when I sold my copy of Twin Snakes it was for less than £20 earlier this year.

Much like anything else once the collecters fill up their want lists the prices drop back to a reasonable level, still hasn't been of any use to me in shifting some of my old N64 games. Although most of the GC games I have left over seem to be worthless now too.

I prefered the original myself. Still looking forward to a new version.

I'm slightly suprised this is in development though, as I was always under the impression neither of the Pikmin games sold all that well.

I wouldn't say I'm surprised given that Olimar was in Smash Bros and I think it is pretty clear that if a franchise has a main character in SMBB then there is probably a very good chance we will see games in that franchise again in the future, particularly if they're new additions to the roster. At least 50% of SMBB's job is as a covert (or not so covert) marketing tool for future and VC games I think.

Also I thought Pikmin was a Shigsy vanity project so no surprise it would still get the greenlight even with a few poor sales. You have to indulge the great man.

Don't know were you got those prices from, but I've seen all those titles selling for far less than that in the trading folder in here. In fact when I sold my copy of Twin Snakes it was for less than £20 earlier this year.

Much like anything else once the collecters fill up their want lists the prices drop back to a reasonable level, still hasn't been of any use to me in shifting some of my old N64 games. Although most of the GC games I have left over seem to be worthless now too.

Admittedly my anaylsis was based on a quick glance on Amazon marketplace and Ebay and the occasional rummage through the 2nd hand section at game! I'm sure I can get them a bit cheaper in the trading folder or if I hunt around, but you know if I wanted them asap with the minimum of fuss I'd be paying top dollar, unlike say PS2 where virtually everything is sub £20 or less these days.

Aye, I'm glad its still seen as something they can work on.

I remember loving the first when it came out not long after the PAL 'Cube launch, and even that did little to deflect the flak of no Mario at launch screams. In fact I seem to recall the time limit aspect of it put many folk off it, although I though it worked perfectly in that game.

I know the time limit was needed. But in my case its a complaint against time limits in general rather than a specific poke at this game.

A compromise would be good (a choice of time limits perhaps) to make the game a little more challenging for people who have played a lot before, with benefits, and a longer one for people like me, who aren't really too bothered about that and just want to enjoy time spent exploring.

The time limit on the first Pikmin was very restricting. I remember getting the final ships piece on the last day and just about managing to get back before sunset. It was a very close thing.

Pikmin 2 improved the time aspect no end. You still needed to be back by sunset, but you weren't limited with a set amount of days. Also when you went into a cave, the day clock stopped and you could explore at you leisure.

:) I may have to dig Pikmin 2 out and start it again.

Remember the awful screams when a Pikmin was dying? When they drowned or got set on fire? And people say Nintrendo can't do adult. These games contain mass murder!

I must confess I prefered the time system in the original, although I doubt they'll ever return to that.

I loved the figuring out your strategy, gettting the item, and trying to save as many of the little buggers as possible. I guess the time/day limit is always going to split opinion. I found it added excitement, a level of danger, while others found it restrictive. I manged to get all the ship parts and as you say the last item was a close thing, but that just made me feel that I had planned my tasks well and I felt great about having achieved it. I think I prefered the slight tension to the first over the completely relaxed nature of the second, although I'm sure they could have a switch allowing the user to select a set number of days or not in any future title.

I must admit the one thing I wasn't keen on in Pikmin 2 was the caves.