Wild Beasts

Daedalus

A really excellent, catchy, novel new band. They released an album, 'Limbo, Panto' earlier this year and are touring at the moment. I can't say I've been as excited by the discovery of a band since I finally got round to checking out Josef K a bit ago - and they're incredible.

I've included a trio of tracks from the album for you to try out. Note the download link will expire on Saturday. In the meantime try I say. Musically they're varied, effective and subtle. The singer's voice is at the centre - of the album and of any reviews written about the band I'd bet. It's operatic, basically. Here's talent and range that you just don't get with indie bands. Surprising at first, but works really well in the context of the music and lyrics, but not just as an element to be assimilated into the mix though. He adds a genuinely dramatic element to what are often quite abstract vignettes of who knows what. Lots of sexual imagery, certainly.

Checkpoints? The Smiths, Orange Juice, Kate Bush, Jeff Buckley, the Associates, Bowie. How could you go wrong?

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...vYWJBNkZFQlE9PQ

• 1 year later...

Come on you fucking cunts! Band and album of the year, right here.

Has nobody else heard 'Two Dancers'? They've gone a bit minimalist this time round, and it's done them really well. To summarise: a tenor, a countertenor, some staggeringly blunt lyrics about maleness in the 21st century, a guitarist who's taken the best kind of inspiration from the best trebly new wave and C86 bands and some really simple but effective drum lines. It's a bit of a bleak wash of an album - very sparse, with each role the four members of the band plays clearly defined - but really fitting together as a whole.

Adam and Joe reckon they sound like the Associates. The similarity is definitely there in the vocals. They actually remind me a bit of U2 circa Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I know that's a bad thing for a lot of people, but I swear it's really effective. It's a bit earnest in some places, but with a massive cut of deadpan cynicism elsewhere. Try it if you get the chance.

When "Hooting And Howling" came out I heard it on Round Table on 6 Music, and everyone was praising it for being more normal and less individual than before, which I thought was a shame.

I'm still trying to get into "Two Dancers". I loved "Limbo, Panto" but I can't help but feel that they've had all their (very interesting) quirky corners knocked off on the new album and it's all a bit, dare I say, boring by comparison. I need to listen to it some more, though.

I never thought of Associates but that does make sense; I've always thought of them as Sparks meets Bow Wow Wow.

It's taken me a while to get into Two Dancers. To be honest I laughed when I first saw Wild Beasts perform during the BBC coverage of Glastonbury (or some music festival). Snorts of derision, but you know they do sound pretty ridiculous. But, I laughed when I first saw The Smiths on telly too.

It's weird. A bit like The Streets for A Level English Literature students. It's musical theatre and not really like a rock and roll band at all.

So now I've grown to like Two Dancers. I really hated it for the first few listens though. It's bleak, impenetrable and pretty chilling. I laughed when I heard the lyrics to Two Dancers (the song) but now I kind of dread it. I mean, the imagery is so fucking bleak, and the words... it's an incredible piece of work.

For me if this album has a message it's that there's always beauty and poetry to be found, no matter how dark and unsettling the subject matter.

One of the more essential releases this year.

• 1 year later...