IGNORED

Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

I only played the demo of DA2 before I got DA:OU, and it was like a bad 3rd person scrolling fighter, with light rpg overtones.

and kind of reminded me of A bugs life on the PSone.

must be the shitty textures.

Just installing all the Ultimate Edition content, a leaflet in the box helpfully informs me that due to a manufacturing problem the version of return to ostagar on the disc doesn't work. Luckily, the second hand copy I got still has the code and it hasn't been used, or I would've had to buy that piece of DLC. Still, that's not bad, I still got all the remaining UE content included.

What seems a bit off is that the code expires in December, so after that anyone who buys the UE, even sealed. Will have to pay. When was the UE released? Is it still in print?

No, Dragon Age 2 really is very bad. ....The ending, however, is the game's biggest failing. Nonsensical and a betrayal of everything you as a player have invested into the game and certain characters.

There are several flaws with the game, the reuse of dungeon design being the worst - but combat wasn't bad (you had as much strategy as the first one, should you choose to immerse yourself in tactics and positioning etc.) and what exactly did you find bad about the ending???

Was it because Anders blew up the Chantry? Regardless of how you friended him, he was heading that route regardless... Justice (Vengeance) had become part of him long ago, and he would have done anything for the mages by the end. I killed him anyway, the cunt :)

I must actually try Dragon Age 2 sometime, this thread reminded me that I have it :lol:. To be honest, I couldn't dislike Dragon Age 2 more than I did Dragon Age Origins which I didn't like very much at all so I doubt it could be much worse (for me anyway)

Was it because Anders blew up the Chantry? Regardless of how you friended him, he was heading that route regardless... Justice (Vengeance) had become part of him long ago, and he would have done anything for the mages by the end. I killed him anyway, the cunt :)

I'd say the big issue was the bit where (rather like ME3)

You're forced to take sides, which, depending how you've played your character, won't necessarily fit with their personality at all. There should absolutely have been the choice to stay neutral - even if that meant having an ending where your character walks away from the city to leave it to deal with its own problems.

I was also a bit miffed at the bit where I told Anders that I'd never forgive him or be his friend again, but I would use his abilities to try and undo the damage he'd done, and the game interpreted this in the epilogue as meaning that we left as lovers.

Awakening takes place after the main story of Dragon Age. The DLC can be done at any time after you finish the main story and doesn't come before or after Awakening, chronologically - but you should probably leave it all for after Awakening because almost all the DLC just re-uses locations from both the main campaign and Awakening.

I'd say the big issue was the bit where (rather like ME3)

You're forced to take sides, which, depending how you've played your character, won't necessarily fit with their personality at all. There should absolutely have been the choice to stay neutral - even if that meant having an ending where your character walks away from the city to leave it to deal with its own problems.

Don't mention ME3! Or 2 for that matter, haven't played them yet!

Conversely, I didn't see it as a bad thing at all. Much like in life, no matter how much you stay out of it, you're forced to take sides sooner or later. The game signposted this pretty clearly (Act 3 onwards) as well, allowing you to save the game at appropriate points.

I did think they missed a trick with not having a third route of going neutral just to see what happened, but considering at the end they were all looking for the Champion (and the Hero of Ferelden) it wouldn't have made sense for them to have just done nothing whilst in the city.

I also couldn't see why, if the Champion became Viscount of Kirkwall, they just explain to everyone that it was a lone nutter who blew up the Chantry, and Meredith who went mad with the sword-statue thingy and thus ordered the Templar to start the slaughter. Far better than an all out war, but I guess it was just the catalyst for something brewing for ages.

• 1 year later...

Just got round to trying this today, after seeing it very cheap in GAME.

It's... Well, it doesn't start well, does it? Maybe it just hasn't aged well. Mass Effect 1 had quite poor animations, but DA's seem even worse - and the starter location looked pretty awful too. Is the PS3 version crap or something?

Oh dear :(

The console versions are infamously rubbish conversions - both graphically, and in terms of the combat. I mean, it's not much of a looker on PC, but it's far less hideous than its nasty console versions, and the dumbed-down combat on console ruins that part of what made Dragon Age: Origins so brilliant. The adaptive story is still Bioware's best, but you're missing a lot of the appeal on console.

At least you didn't get the 360 version,* I suppose.

*even uglier, worse textures, though a better frame-rate

Oh dear :(

The console versions are infamously rubbish conversions - both graphically, and in terms of the combat. I mean, it's not much of a looker on PC, but it's far less hideous than its nasty console versions, and the dumbed-down combat on console ruins that part of what made Dragon Age: Origins so brilliant. The adaptive story is still Bioware's best, but you're missing a lot of the appeal on console.

At least you didn't get the 360 version,* I suppose.

*even uglier, worse textures, though a better frame-rate

Hmmm, interesting. Well, I'll struggle on. If it was cheap on Steam I might have considered ditching it and going with that, but even if it was free I wouldn't sign up to Origin.

It's on Steam, not Origin. The ultimate edition (all the DLC) was <£5 in the sale.

Also worth noting that the starting area changes depending on your race/class.

Ah, interesting. Should I pack this in then, and just pick up the PC version at some point in the future when it's a fiver again? Is the PC version really that much better? (certainly the framerate couldn't be worse!!).

Just got round to trying this today, after seeing it very cheap in GAME.

It's... Well, it doesn't start well, does it? Maybe it just hasn't aged well. Mass Effect 1 had quite poor animations, but DA's seem even worse - and the starter location looked pretty awful too. Is the PS3 version crap or something?

Stop playing, the PS3 version is not worth your time. I know, I played it and wrote a post about it in this topic. A truly atrocious conversion.

Aye, the PS3 has the worst frame-rate of the lot. It's the combat that really suffers, though - the whole point of the game is it's a lovesong to the old isometric party-based RPGs, and has one of the most tactical, challenging and satisfying combat engines around (stick it on the higher difficulties, with friendly-fire etc., for the full effect). Except, for the console versions everything was toned down, with the whole pause-and-issue-commands-from-an-isometric-viewpoint option is removed, and in turn the difficulty massively dropped to cope. Never quite understood why.

Aye, the PS3 has the worst frame-rate of the lot. It's the combat that really suffers, though - the whole point of the game is it's a lovesong to the old isometric party-based RPGs, and has one of the most tactical, challenging and satisfying combat engines around (stick it on the higher difficulties, with friendly-fire etc., for the full effect). Except, for the console versions everything was toned down, with the whole pause-and-issue-commands-from-an-isometric-viewpoint option is removed, and in turn the difficulty massively dropped to cope. Never quite understood why.

Because mouse?

Lack of mouse doesn't preclude the lack of an isometric view or cursor, especially in a pauseable environment. It's not as though the console versions of XCOM were similarly afflicted, for example. Not to mention the fact that the PS3 actually supports the use of a USB keyboard and mouse, so that option could always have been included for the very few who'd have bothered.

I played DAO on the 360, I thought it was one of the best games I've ever played. Didn't really focus too much on the graphics.

Same here, hugely enjoyed it. I can recognise technical issues but very rarely do they have an impact on my enjoyment.

I have the Origin version of this and I finally installed it and want to start playing. I'm in the PC MOD BLINDNESS mode where I sort of feel I should mod it before I begin, but I don't know what's essential.

Anyone have any core, must-have, mod recommendations?

Mind you, I spent 3 or 4 hours happily modding Skyrim then never actually played it, so perhaps I should just knuckle down and get stuck in. I played few hours on PS3 and wasn't impressed, but I am aware the PC version is the one to play.

Well, I finished the game twice (close to 200 hours) without using any mods and never felt I was missing anything, but from later playthroughs I would recommend using the community-made bugfixes - particularly the Dragon Age Rules Fixpack (which also features 'tweaks' which you can remove at will - just delete their (named) subfolders that it creates. I would recommend deleting the autoloot tweaks, as they can break one of the quests in the game). I would strongly recommend that fixpack if you plan on being an archer/using an archer in your party.

Other than that, there are some texture mods, extra character customisation options, armour and weapons etc. which are available if you're after them - just browse through the Dragon Age Nexus for the most endorsed mods for some of the better ones (just ignore the nude mods that somehow manage to get near the top of every [insert game here] Nexus).