IGNORED

Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

Right, I finally managed to put some time into this and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it takes a bit of getting used to or whatever. The combat seems a bit clumsy to me, I can't seem to switch target properly and end up switching characters. Is there an easy way to swtich targets without clicking? Also is there a mod to make a custom UI? The button bar is too far down the bottom left for me (some spells I click on, it's a quirk of mine). So yeah, admittedly I'm not far into it and am going to give it more time but I'm wondering if it's something that clicks later.

Well, I'm going to give it more time if I can get past the fucking awful voice acting. Yes, it bothers me that much.

Okay I have decided to give this game a try. It seems like a random time to play DA:O, but for some strange reason it was completely off my radar. I ignored the game when it came out. You know how you sometimes skip all the hype and reviews for a certain game because you make a random subliminal decision that you don't care about it? Hmm. But now I have it, so I'll give it a shot.

I thought my ancient PC wouldn't be able to run it, but it runs okay actually. 30 to 50 fps while I'm just walking around at the start in a castle... but can I expect severe slowdowns with big battles?

Still not decided on whether to play this PC installation or grab the Xbox 360 version. Everyone says the PC is better because the combat is more tactical and deep... but they also say it is hard. I'm not really into difficult tactical play, and have absolutely no memory or fondness for Baldur's Gate. I just want to enjoy the story and characters. Would I be better on 360?

It also looks like a more complicated RPG than I'm used to playing. Mass Effect games are fine, but I'm not hardcore.

I'll give it a proper spin this weekend. I made a character (human noble) and got started just to check that the game runs on my PC, but later I'll think of a proper character to play with.

Still not decided on whether to play this PC installation or grab the Xbox 360 version. Everyone says the PC is better because the combat is more tactical and deep... but they also say it is hard. I'm not really into difficult tactical play, and have absolutely no memory or fondness for Baldur's Gate. I just want to enjoy the story and characters. Would I be better on 360?

It also looks like a more complicated RPG than I'm used to playing. Mass Effect games are fine, but I'm not hardcore.

I never really thought it was a hard game, apart from the early levels when you have few abilities, but they did patch it to lower the difficulty levels on normal and easy. I think you can also play it pretty much in real time on the easier levels, no need for constant pausing and micro managing. One thing that certainly makes it more manageable is to set up tactics, so for example have it so they use potions at 50% health or your healers cast spells etc. With the PC you've also got the benefit of a large number of mods made for the game, pretty easy to install as well.

There a UI mod in there?

Afraid not, haven't seen any mods that really customize the UI and let you move it about. You can drag the bar across most of the screen so you could position spells more centrally if that helps. Also no controls to switch through targets, easiest way is to zoom out and click them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just got the Ultimate Edition on PC, and I'd like to play Awakening first. Is it a big deal playing it with a new character, like, do you miss out a lot by not using your Origins character? Thanks in advance.

*I've played through Origins and most of the DLC already on the console version.

• 1 month later...

Right. I've just finished Mass Effect 2 and it's got me back into the genre. I'm buying on the Ps3, so should I go for the vanilla version or the 'ultimate' version? Bearing in mind there's a ten pounds price difference.

Well the Ultimate Edition includes the original game and all of the DLC, so you're getting considerably more content for your extra £10.

In particular it includes Awakening, which is a semi-sequel in itself, adding another 25+ hours to the 80+ hour Origins story. That's only an estimate, too - I think my playtimes ran at about 120+ for Origins and a further 50 for Awakening. By most standards that's an extra full price game.

Awakening's story also directly ties into Dragon Age II, in case you're wondering what the point of that is. So if you end up enjoying Origins to the point where you want to play the sequel, you'll be glad you bought the version with Awakening in.

On top of which you're getting a bunch of other mini two/three-hour DLCs and an extra character; the Golem, Shale. All of which would set you back a few hundred MS Points a piece (on 360 - equivalent on PC and PS3, obv).

Tl;dr: If you think it'll be your cup of tea and you're thinking of spending hundreds of hours in the gameworld, you'd be best off getting the Ultimate Edition.

Enjoy - I did! :)

DA:O is good. The extra content is great too, so definitely get that. Overall some rough edges and signs of troubled development, but an enjoyable old-school romp.

DA2 on the other hand, I've tried to play it over the last few nights, I'm about 3 hours in and not enjoying it at all.

I recently finished Dragon Age, and I’ve got to be honest, I’m not sure I really enjoyed it.

I thought the first half/2 thirds was great, but it just seemed to drag out a bit by the end. In fact, I was surprised the end was the end! I was expecting something bigger somehow, it didn’t FEEL that epic to me, the story seemed to plateau half way through and then just dragged a bit all the way to the end for me.

Conversely, Mass Effect 1 I struggled to get into it at the start, but once I did it just seemed to step it up on a regular basis all the way to the end (ME2 I thought was fantastic beginning to end).

I do wonder if it was the sheer length, I think I had 60 odd hours in DA and under 20 in ME1 which probably helped.

• 3 months later...

Just finished Dragon Age:Origins and despite being convinced I'd made an awful mistake (due to all the brown) by the end I was loving it.

One gripe about this thread. 178 pages and no-one spotted who was playing Teyrn Loghain? No-one else disappointed he didn't shout "Vae Victus" in battle?

• 1 month later...

Is awakenings worth a dabble then? I notice it is up on the dashboard for 1200 points at the moment. I'm tempted at that price to be honest.

If you've got a Gamestation near you it might be worth looking in the pre-owned section for the Ultimate Edition which comes with every single bit of DLC.

I managed to nab one from my local in the 2 for £20 deal they do :)

I actually re-installed this the other night on my new(ish) machine after my previous one combusted on me. This in turn compelled me to go looking for some of the mods that make life a little bit less tedious in Thedas (being able to skip the Fade levels and command Dragons and Werewolves? Fuck yeah!) and I happened upon a mod that gives the Ogres a massive great cock, complete with giant purple helm <_<

I weep for humanity sometimes.

I really liked DA:O Then I was looking forward to Awakenings but didn't bother when I kept hearing how stupidly easy it was. So I looked forward to the full sequel.

Screens looked pretty enough then the Qunari ret-con was shown :unsure: OK, stay cool it still might be good...

<_<

WTF Bioware?! That's not rhetorical, I want an answer.

Well Dan it's like this. We asked all the Gamerz we could find in Wal-Mart and the overwhelming response was that our games were too complicated. So we decided on a strategy of falling extremely badly between two shitty stools.

Thanks for your interest.

I actually re-installed this the other night on my new(ish) machine after my previous one combusted on me. This in turn compelled me to go looking for some of the mods that make life a little bit less tedious in Thedas (being able to skip the Fade levels and command Dragons and Werewolves? Fuck yeah!) and I happened upon a mod that gives the Ogres a massive great cock, complete with giant purple helm <_<

I weep for humanity sometimes.

All of the [game] Nexus mod sites are filthy pits of depravity as well as useful resources for modding. I guarantee that one of the first Skyrim mods will be to allow you to play as pre-op transexual Khajiit.