IGNORED

Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

I play as a mage and I got one in the party (although I left her at home now), but neither of us have this spell. I think I fucked up my mage a bit though, by meddling between creation (healing) and arcane (destruction). I should probably have Mortigan or what's her face for the destruction and myself for destruction or the other way round. Now I have two not very strong offensive or healing casters rather than one very powerful offensive caster and one very strong healer.

Right. Best way to spec them would be to focus on giving yourself and/or Morrigan stuff like Spell Might, Mana Clash and maxing out the cold tree (even Cone of Cold works on the meanest bosses!) before picking up the mega lightning AoE while Wynne gets all the Spirit Healer and buff spells. As you're on the PC, you should be able to download a mod somewhere which will let you respec everyone (if that hasn't been patched in yet).

Remember, the thing with Mana Clash is that the sooner you use it, the more damage it does so you can kill a whole bunch of mages right off the bat.

Oh and are you aware about spell combos? For example, cast Grease somewhere then send a fireball on top to create a big, burning oil slick. The most notorious spell combo is Tempest > Spell Might buffed Blizzard for a giant mass of freezing, electrical death called Storm of the Century. You can wipe out an entire building with that thing.

Right. Best way to spec them would be to focus on giving yourself and/or Morrigan stuff like Spell Might, Mana Clash and maxing out the cold tree (even Cone of Cold works on the meanest bosses!) before picking up the mega lightning AoE while Wynne gets all the Spirit Healer and buff spells. As you're on the PC, you should be able to download a mod somewhere which will let you respec everyone (if that hasn't been patched in yet).

Remember, the thing with Mana Clash is that the sooner you use it, the more damage it does so you can kill a whole bunch of mages right off the bat.

Oh and are you aware about spell combos? For example, cast Grease somewhere then send a fireball on top to create a big, burning oil slick. The most notorious spell combo is Tempest > Spell Might buffed Blizzard for a giant mass of freezing, electrical death called Storm of the Century. You can wipe out an entire building with that thing.

Storm of the Century gets rid of the freezing effects of blizzard, and only does electrical damage. But yes.

Also, Denerim has a minimum level (for enemies) of 10, so if you're still under level 10 then no wonder you're having problems! I'm surprised you got that far through the blood mage hideout.

Prepare for a steep learning curve though, I really needed a couple of days (including rereading the manual) to get back in the flow :) well worth it, mind.

I just hope I don't get the original bug which stopped me playing before - reloading the game, all my members standing around in just their pants, with absolutely no weapons at all.

Just about to take on a dragon.

Not a good thing at all.

:lol:

I use loads of saveslots to prevent that kind of stuff :)

That was the strange thing - I had at least a couple of saves (plus an autosave) near and around about the area, and ALL of them did the same thing!

Ah well, we'll see what happens - really looking forward to starting again now :) . Oh, is Awakenings worth picking up? It certainly looks like more of the same (in a good way).

Agree Awakenings is worth picking up, a bit easier than the main game but good fun. If you're playing on PC it might be worth considering the Ultimate edition about £6 more and you get all the add ons. They vary in quality a bit but Warden's Keep and Leliana's Song are excellent and should find some enjoyment from them all, certainly worth the extra cost. It is coming out on the PS3 and 360, but then it's £30 vs £12/13 for Awakenings so maybe not so much of a bargain.

Just been playing the Golem DLC and it's really bloody hard. The Harvester on Hard is kicking my arse. He would seem doable except some of the adds he spawns are ridiculously hard. Also I don't have a mage which I'm sure would make things easier.

Does anyone know when/will some sort of GOTY Edition is released for 360 version? I know there's one for PC, but I would like 360 one at least.

EDIT: Ignore me, for some reason I had to just type in Dragon Age on Zavvi, instead of full name. Stupid search feature. Anyway I'll be getting this again, missed DA :)

Does anyone know when/will some sort of GOTY Edition is released for 360 version? I know there's one for PC, but I would like 360 one at least.

Ultimate edition for all formats comes out Oct 29th, that's Origins, Awakenings and all the DLC that's been released.

Ultimate edition for all formats comes out Oct 29th, that's Origins, Awakenings and all the DLC that's been released.

Yeah, I just found out via Zavvi. Thanks, I think I'll get it when it comes out then. I haven't bought any of DLC apart from Warden's Keep so will be great to play all the content I've missed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Most of the DLC is separate from the main game, and not worth installing for your first play.

You'll want The Stone Prisoner (adds a fully-implemented party member and associated quests/locations), Warden's Keep (short but sweet), and maybe Return to Ostagar for later (not great but you know, it's some extra content for the main story).

Been trying to play this on PC the last few days having put together a new machine, but it crashes pretty often making it unplayable, anyone else struggled with the PC version on new machines?

Did you solve it?

I played on release and suffered crashes, quite a few did. The crashes could occur out of the blue or at certain points, the fix was to lower all graphical settings to minimum - at least until you pass the crash areas.

Most of the DLC is separate from the main game, and not worth installing for your first play.

You'll want The Stone Prisoner (adds a fully-implemented party member and associated quests/locations), Warden's Keep (short but sweet), and maybe Return to Ostagar for later (not great but you know, it's some extra content for the main story).

cheers for that dude :) All of those seem to be greyed out on the Bioware Social Network promotions page so I'm wondering if they're installed already.