IGNORED

Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

Bah, could they have made a more generic looking trailer?

Still, Bioware are pretty ace and Baldurs Gate II is one of my favourite games so if they can replicate the depth and sheer amount of things to do from BG2 but in a 3D setting then i'll be super super happy.

Is it an original setting though? Not Forgotten Realms or anything like that?

EDIT: Off the wiki page: "Set in a new fantasy world created by BioWare for fans of its past titles"

EDIT: Off the wiki page: "Set in a new fantasy world created by BioWare for fans of its past titles"

.::: Reminds me of that I liked BioWare but loved Black Isle, if anything.

Hopefully this will not turn out to become a 'Jade Empire 2', but the trailer is doing very little to my heartbeat... If anything it does look like someone forgot to stick the LOTR license on it... Interest : stable.

The world is apparently influenced by George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I can't imagine why anyone would draw inspiration from such a turgid, overwritten series of books but there you go.

I often wonder a similar thing with other games, particularly science-fiction ones. Why does no one read something like The Drowned World and base a game on that, like happens in the dreams I have before waking up a bit damp and sticky?

After Mass Effect was received so unreservedly well the quality level in this is bound to be even worse. Even Mass Effect had a reasonably appealing world and vaguely decent script, this trailer suggests that they're not bothering with any of that this time.

After Jade Empire and Mass effect I kinda lost my faith in BioWare's near-legendary status. I bet Dragon Age will be just that as well: a big meh.

Me too.

Is this a return to their D&D roots of BG2 as well as the fantasy setting? If so I may have more hope. The combat systems in their recent games have been really weak.

In my head, I saw Dragon Age as something utterly different. I saw an MMO Panzer Dragoon with Pokemon style Dragon catching and training. Kinda like having everyone as a WoW Hunter with a custom dragon pet that will grow to the point of being able to fly on it.

*runs off to Copyright the idea* :unsure:

Now it seems to fall into the classic fantasy MMO but I think its still very early and they may have some interesting tricks lined up.

In my head, I saw Dragon Age as something utterly different. I saw an MMO Panzer Dragoon with Pokemon style Dragon catching and training. Kinda like having everyone as a WoW Hunter with a custom dragon pet that will grow to the point of being able to fly on it.

Err, why? That's nothing like any of Biowares previous games.

Christ alive - there's some new gameplay footage of the game on EG. To say I'm bitterly disappointed is an understatement...

I was under the impression they were using the same graphic engine as Mass Effect, but it looks about on the same level as Neverwinter Nights (not that there's anything wrong with that...if the game had come out at the same time, years ago).

The gameplay looks, well, soggy.

I'm hoping that it's all been some sort of joke and the real game will blow my mind, but I'm getting a bit worried now.

You're watching the video in low res, or you need to get your eyes tested. It looks maybe slighly worse than Mass Effect, but that's a matter of opinion rather than graphical fidelity. The gameplay looks like a traditional RPG, which is exactly what the game is. You can't discern any further based on 3 minutes worth of clips.

The amount of hate for this game is simply baffling. Even if you've got concerns over the setting, don't Bioware get at least a little benefit of the doubt?

Yeah, after seeing all the various E3 interviews and footage, I reckon this'll be fine and another decent BioWare adventure.

My only real downers are word that it has too much dialogue in to be 100% voice acted, and the fact that there are no tools/multiplayer ala Neverwinter Nights.

Looks wise, yes, but Joe seems to think it was only on the same level graphically as NWN2, when its clearly far superior.

I was exaggerating a wee bit, but I really don't think it looks that good at all.

This is a serious question though - is that an image from NWN2 then?

Aye.

Thank fuck for that! I thought I was going mad there! I watched the footage again, and I'm still not convinced though. Criticism of the setting and story are not valid for me, as I just love a good old fashioned fantasy world - so that's all great. Thinking about it, Bioware have never got things completely wrong, so I'm sure the game will be decent enough, but I still think graphically the game's fairly dull.

Of course, this might well mean that my PC will run it!

• 11 months later...

Details of the specail edition - for the US at least.

Electronic Arts is being far less recalcitrant about its release plans for Dragon Age: Origins, the role-playing game from BioWare due out on October 20. Besides the previously announced no-frills edition ($49.99 PC, $59.99 consoles), the game will come in a collector's edition that will retail for $64.99 on the PC and $74.99 on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The collector's edition will feature a tin case, a cloth map, and an extra-laden bonus DVD that includes a soundtrack, a strategy guide, concept art footage, wallpapers, and a "making-of" documentary. It will also feature several virtual goods, including the "Stone Prisoner" bonus quest and an unlockable character called Shale. The disc will feature three other pieces of in-game content whose types were unspecified:"Bergens Honor," "Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes," and "Final Reason." Those who preorder the game from GameStop will get two other in-game items that increase health regeneration and experience accrual.

Finally, also included in the Dragon Age: Origins collector's edition is an unnamed in-game item to be used in another BioWare game, Mass Effect 2, due out in spring 2010

With the delays in the release of Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2, this is steadily working it's way up to Most Wanted Game of Autumn for me.