iPhone Games

Ok thought we needed a separate thread for peoples thoughts on the various iPhone games which are out. So here goes.

Super Monkey Ball

The good:

1) It's Super Monkey Ball minus the multiplayer

2) Looks nice and crisp

3) Plays smoothly

The bad:

1) Very twitchy and much harder to control than I thought it should be. The calibration is much too sensitive

2) It may be me but how the hell do you unlock new worlds. I have completed all 10 of the first world's levels and the bonus round (haven't got all bananas mind you) and still no second world! Surely you don't have to get all the bananas on every level to open them up!?

3) Far too hard or the difficulty curve is badly skewed. First 5-6 levels no worries, then some random nightmare levels where you just roll and plummet to your death. Oh and thanks for the bumpers which if you hit propel you instantly to your death :P

4) Doesn't auto save when you press home so if you leave and come back you have to play through all the levels again (ie it has no recollection of being played before).

5) Didn't realise that to pause you have to press the timer!?

6) Absolutely no instructions on how to open stuff up or what to do (I know it is monkey ball but really I have played it 2-4 times now and still haven't unlocked a new world...).

7) Nothing on any of Sega's websites about the game so you cannot get any support on the product e.g. hints

Trism

The good:

1) Nice looks

2) Interesting twist on the tetris, lumines genre

3) Looks like it has suprising depth

4) Keeps your itunes music playing in the background

5) Cheap as chips

6) Upload your high-scores and download the top 10 after each game (at your choice)

7) Saves your position when you exit using the home menu. When you come back and choose the same type of game it asks if you'd like to resume.

:( As slow paced as you like it no timer to push you on so you can think about your strategy

The bad:

1) A bit of a mind-fuck initially but hey that is ok?

2) Might have been easier initially to start with fewer colours on the early levels cos it is a bit overwhelming at first trying to work out where to move your pieces as your brain can't take it all in. Still you learn and there is no time pressure pushing you on so you don't have to rush

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3d

The good:

1) Much better motion sensing, its easy to steer and not all over the place

2) Quite fun although no Mario Kart

3) A bargain for the price to be honest

4) Seems to have a lot of modes too.

5) Has a resume function so if you press the home button you can come back to the race later :)

The bad:

1) A lot of pop up, maybe it is a port?

2) Not the best art direction

3) No accelerator it auto accelerates (could be a good thing) and drifting is really hard, but then that is maybe skill based

4) Would be nice if like Mario Kart it had some deeper mechanics.

5) Runs a bit slow (maybe less than 30?)

After you complete a world on normal it opens up a hard version of itself. Some people are saying you need to complete this before the next world opens, some that you need all bananas as well. I've not managed either, though I only really had time to play through the first set of levels last night.

Like the console versions it saves your progress when you complete a world (not really mobile friendly, then), though I'm not sure whether if you quit after finishing a level it will open that one in practice.

I found controlling AiAi a bit too twitchy, but when I changed to Baby things felt a lot more natural, in much the same way as the original. I've very impressed with the quality of the backgrounds and the way they move, and found it slightly odd that your monkey is not only 2D, but steps between directions rather than rotates smoothly. Feels like they only added monkeys at the last moment.

Still at £6 for a motion sensitive monkey ball on your (phone/whatever the iTouch qualifies as these days) it's a good buy.

I'm quite interested in the business model of having lots of people spam the store reviews section with "this is a bargain because it's only £6 and you'd pay more for a DS game".

Ho hum.

Monkey Ball.

Twitchy, and with an astonishingly misjudged difficulty curve that'll put people off. Also needs some kind of resume functionality.

I didn't even know Crash Nitro Kart was on there! It's strange, I was browsing around the appstore games section and saw one solitaire game, for example, but I search for 'solitaire' and about ten results came up. It seems hard to find some of them...

Anyway, Crash Nitro Kart is enjoyable and works pretty well with the accelerometer! Super Monkey Ball is mad difficult, it's far too twitchy- it doesn't seem to be possible to centre the screen to stop your monkey moving around, it just moves all over the place anyway. Bejeweled 2 is fucking brilliant, the best iPhone game by far- it's ace with the touch screen. Don't waste your time with Columns though, it's total gash. The controls are awful and it's very jerky.

After playing with SMB for a while, my review is this: nice looking game, shame about the stupid controls. yes, you can't see the fucking screen most of the time, bceause you're too busy looking like an idiot moving your ipod around. probably get used to it, but hardly pick up and play. more, pick up and throw away after you've fallen off the same bit of the landscape about 100 times.

side note: apple remote is fucking brilliant.

After playing with SMB for a while, my review is this: nice looking game, shame about the stupid controls. yes, you can't see the fucking screen most of the time, bceause you're too busy looking like an idiot moving your ipod around. probably get used to it, but hardly pick up and play. more, pick up and throw away after you've fallen off the same bit of the landscape about 100 times.

Have you tried it with the baby character? It's much better!

Bejeweled 2 was bought as I was bored on the toilet, seems very smooth, decent enough price, anymore and I wouldn't have bothered. That's all really.

What's South Park Imaginationland like? :lol:

Buying Trism now..but with this and Bejeweled, I don't know how it's charging me, I have 33p left in my iTunes account but that's not been used by either purchase via the iPhone, maybe it won't charge me at all?

Monkey Ball

I find it is best to hold the pod at a slight angle towards me when the stage starts, as that keeps the floor without moving once the level lets you control it.

I welcome the difficulty increase!! I thought the Wii version was waaay too easy for way too long.

The actual levels themselves are also an improvement on the Wii version, as right from the start the stupid baby barriers that make it so hard to lose are taken away, so you have to play levels well to be able to pass them.

The lack of a jump button also adds to the old style monkey ball levels, and reminds me of how much it DIDNT add to the Wii version.

Happily though, the music from the Wii version is still intact, and is EXACTLY the same! Good for me since I loved the music from that game.

Unhappily, the actual volume of the game is very very low. I found the options screen and was able to turn up the volume, but it is still very low. And strange that because this game also lets you play your own music while you play (by doing the double tap on the bottom button of the ipod) at normal itouch volume levels (which to me seem lower than older models anyway=)

Is there a way to increase the volume of the in game music other than the option screen? It seems abnormally low.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with this game, and I have all nintendo platform Monkey games.

I've trawlled the store quite a bit for the last few days - downloaded SMB it's pretty good but I expected more it feels a little disjointed with a sprite monkey! Trism is OK although I need to give it more time. Tap tap is great if you like rhythm and action (mainly because it's free).

However today I discovered 'AquaForest' it's physics based puzzle game using fluid dynamics it's a bit chuggy in places but the engine is pretty good. It has a sandbox area which I'm yet to find a way of making an actual level but it maybe possible certainly fun playing with all the properties. It's also got a more traditional puzzle levels which are mostly simple but a great time killer. So far this is one of the finest examples of iphone software and it's published by Hudson - it's nice to see the Bee do something other than bomberman.

Anyway AquaForest is recommendation for iphone games at the mo.

Cheers

Quexex

Trism looks like the killer app to me. It's a twist on a familiar genre, but the twist is absolutely suited to the platform. It's really lovely game design.

Yes. I've found this and bejewelled (which loses marks for not allowing resume or any form of high score saving) to be the best of the games in this thread.

Bejeweled does allow resume ;)

But... no high score saving? I didn't know that, I thought it was hidden in the options menu or something. That pretty much kills the game for me :P

EDIT: Actually, I suppose 'home + lock' is your friend.

Bejeweled does allow resume :lol:

But... no high score saving? I didn't know that, I thought it was hidden in the options menu or something. That pretty much kills the game for me :)

EDIT: Actually, I suppose 'home + lock' is your friend.

I'm not doing particularly well at finding things out.

It does support resume; it definitely doesn't support score saving. Which is insane.

Texas Hold'em is good. Has a really nice UI and you can really fly through the hands if you're flopping.

Very similar to the live arcade title. If you hold the phone portrait style you do get some pretty dodgy animations of your competitors though.

Monkey ball seems incredibly hard at first; you do have to persevere with it to get the hang of the controls - it requires *very* gentle, very controlled tilting. Overcompensate, and it seems impossible to recover. Completing the Easy course unlocks the Hard level (which is, in fact, a completely new set of levels set in the same world) ... and completing hard unlocks the next world. You don't - as suggested earlier - need to collect all the bananas to progress to the next world.

Aqua Forest is a *stunning* tech demo (go find the clip on youtube - you won't be able to resist buying it once you've seen that!)... it's kind of like a combination between "magic pen", and those desktop ornaments which you tilt around to watch fluids of various densities ooze about. Sadly, the game itself isn't too demanding - you'll whizz through most of the puzzles pretty quickly, and only be stumped by one or two harder ones. Totally unique though; wouldn't work on any other platform - well worth owning! :)

I quite like roller-coaster pinball ... it's got an appallingly bad frame-rate compared to the other ipod games I've tried , but if you can live with that, it's quite a nice pinball sim. The whole table is rendered in 3d... tilt your ipod backwards, and you get an overhead view of the table, tilt it forwards and you can see the field from a more conventional view, which is a surprisingly natural way to play (kind of like standing on tip-toes to see the back of the field!). It's made by the people who do the Pinball FX series on Xbox Live Arcade, but thankfully the table is a lot more accessible/forgiving than some of the tables in that series. It's £2.99, which seems about the right price for a 1-table game.

And finally, an honourable mention for the best freebie I've found - "Aurora Feint"... it's a sliding block puzzle game, with a fantasy RPG levelling system behind it. Very professionally presented, but seems to crash every now and again while moving between areas on the map. Still, for the asking price (nothing!) it's a bit of a must-have :lol:

Monkey ball seems incredibly hard at first; you do have to persevere with it to get the hang of the controls - it requires *very* gentle, very controlled tilting. Overcompensate, and it seems impossible to recover. Completing the Easy course unlocks the Hard level (which is, in fact, a completely new set of levels set in the same world) ... and completing hard unlocks the next world. You don't - as suggested earlier - need to collect all the bananas to progress to the next world.

Aqua Forest is a *stunning* tech demo (go find the clip on youtube - you won't be able to resist buying it once you've seen that!)... it's kind of like a combination between "magic pen", and those desktop ornaments which you tilt around to watch fluids of various densities ooze about. Sadly, the game itself isn't too demanding - you'll whizz through most of the puzzles pretty quickly, and only be stumped by one or two harder ones. Totally unique though; wouldn't work on any other platform - well worth owning! :P

I quite like roller-coaster pinball ... it's got an appallingly bad frame-rate compared to the other ipod games I've tried , but if you can live with that, it's quite a nice pinball sim. The whole table is rendered in 3d... tilt your ipod backwards, and you get an overhead view of the table, tilt it forwards and you can see the field from a more conventional view, which is a surprisingly natural way to play (kind of like standing on tip-toes to see the back of the field!). It's made by the people who do the Pinball FX series on Xbox Live Arcade, but thankfully the table is a lot more accessible/forgiving than some of the tables in that series. It's £2.99, which seems about the right price for a 1-table game.

And finally, an honourable mention for the best freebie I've found - "Aurora Feint"... it's a sliding block puzzle game, with a fantasy RPG levelling system behind it. Very professionally presented, but seems to crash every now and again while moving between areas on the map. Still, for the asking price (nothing!) it's a bit of a must-have :wub:

Aqua Forest - Is awesome although as you say not very challenging... Aurora Feint, is a really good bejewelled clone with tilt shame it is sooo buggy in every aspect from level progression to frequent crashes.

De Blob now available on the app store only £3.99!! and really very good.

Pros

1) Can calibrate the tilt or turn it of and use gestures

2) Can turn music on/off so you can keep your itunes playing

Really good fun!

Cons

1) No resume on quit