Is indie/alternative music shit at the moment?

Is classical music shit at the moment, or am I just not finding the good stuff?

Is folk music shit at the moment, or am I just not finding the good stuff?

Is dance music shit at the moment, or am I just not finding the good stuff?

Is hiphop music shit at the moment, or am I just not finding the good stuff?

Is world music shit at the moment, or am I just not finding the good stuff?

Is rock music shit at the moment, or am I just not finding the good stuff?

The title of this thread is ace. It works for anything. You can be a lazy bastard and slate an entire genre. Amazing scenes.

The title of this thread is ace. It works for anything. You can be a lazy bastard and slate an entire genre. Amazing scenes.

Nah, it's probably more of a critical comment on the state of the current hyped/favoured "indie" bands around just now that get any sort of mainstream attention. They do tend to be very bland.

Although I'm more an 80's indie kid and early 90's grunge kid at heart and never did take to the britpop scene that so many rave about. Although even though I disliked it I can see it was a far more interesting scene than the mainstream stuff about today. The concept that the internet has opened up the scene and it's more spread out is a false hope too. There have always been planety of good smaller bands that had very small fanbases and never cracked it. In the words of Monty Python "I should know I followed a few".

There's a difference between saying "I'm finding the mainstream indie stuff very bland these days, recommend some stuff I might not have heard!" and "All indie music since the Libertines is shit".

There's a difference between saying "I'm finding the mainstream indie stuff very bland these days, recommend some stuff I might not have heard!" and "All indie music since the Libertines is shit".

The title asks a question. It's not a statement. The bold text in your post is a statement.

I've not kept up with James for many a year. I was really in to them for while many moons ago, and they were one of the first bands I saw live back in 1988. I love 'Strip-mine', still one of my favourite albums. They were a great live band at times, 'Charlie Dance' was brilliant live.

I'll need to go and dig that album out now. Not listened to it for a while.

I saw them live a couple of times - including their infamous "final" gig. Really special.

If they'd released "Hey Ma" 10 years ago it would have been huge. I'm not sure why its been overlooked it really is a brilliant bit of music.

I'll need to check it out.

My main memory of the band is going to see them touring off 'Goldmother' with a mate back in June 1990 at the Glasgow Barrowlands and the place was pretty empty (but was a storming gig), six months later after they had re-released 'Sit Down' for the umpteenth time they played the same venue again and the place was jumping. It's amazing what one hit single can do.

Oh they're not "Indie" per se but The Racontuers.

I've had them playing all month in my car, along with The National and an excellent dutch indy band called Moke (they're like Oasis when Oasis were good).

Gotta say it's been an excellent month for driving ;-)

Lots of great bands around, just not promoted as well as the majority. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Biffy Clyro, TANAOU (The All New Adventures Of Us), Youthmovies, Death Cab, Future Of The Left, Tellison, Bruises..

I don't meant to go completely off the handle, but I'm really waiting for the indie phase to pass and something new to come along. Plenty of quality acts have turned up, but I think the majority of them sound the same.

Anyone feel the same...ish?

Yea you're right. There is a "mainstream" Indie that all sound and look like the same few bands. But there is a great 'undercurrent' of truly original or at the very least interesting bands out there.

I hate the genre name 'Indie' anyway, it's annoyingly catch all and due to its relative mainstream success it rarely means what it should.

Most 'British Indie' is absolutely rubbish. The rebirth of AOR/MOR rock (Thanks, Dave Grohl et al) is killing the music industry </cliche>

www.myspace.com/johnnyforeigner

www.myspace.com/dananananaykroyd

www.myspace.com/copyhaho

www.myspace.com/catsinparis

disagree.