Halo 3: ODST

After about 6 or so missions, I've very mixed feelings about this. Some very minor spoilers.

I was perhaps in the minority of not only liking Halo 3's single player, but also thinking it was perfectly paced and the best in the series. I love the campaign.

The pacing of this one is totally all over the place. The between mission treks are very, very dull, and the missions themselves, whilst mostly great, too short and disjointed. A couple have been really great, mind.

There is a shocking lack of imagination on show. It's incredibly predictable. The moment your next 'beacon' is a sniper rifle you know exactly what to expect in the next level. And the sniper, tank, warthog etc theme of each level, whilst nice and varied, feels very forced.

The only real innovation is the defence sections, which are faw more rewarding and fun than Halo 3's hill hold. They're an obvious offshoot from Firefight mode's new AI (or perhaps that's the other way around), and they're ace. Never since the first Halo have you felt under such pressure.

I don't like the lack of a radar. I fail to see why there isn't one, really. Most people (myself included) don't have the luxury of surround sound, and all too often by the time I realise there's something behind me I'm a gonner.

At least it's being advertised as an expansion, even if the retail price doesn't reflect that. The Halo 3 multiplayer disc was a very sly idea to justify keeping the price up.

Heck, it's more Halo, and it's great. I grew to love Halo 3 a bit more each time I played, and maybe it'll happen again if I can bear the between level sections. That said, it looks from the level select like I won't have to when I revisit the levels on Legendary. Halo 3 was a lot of fun on Legendary, but it remains to be seen if this is perhaps too vehicle/stand off heavy for it to be fun rather than frustrating.

The atmosphere of the game is well done, as ever.

I thought the hub section was completely flat and lacking atmosphere - really disappointed with that area. There's no ambient sound or feel of a city, even a deserted one, and I did expect some kind of adventure/exploration vibe to it. In reality it's tedious and long winded - a Ghost would've helped.

I thought the hub section was completely flat and lacking atmosphere - really disappointed with that area. There's no ambient sound or feel of a city, even a deserted one, and I did expect some kind of adventure/exploration vibe to it. In reality it's tedious and long winded - a Ghost would've helped.

You do realise that there are

mongooses to be had in the supply points? They unlock after finding 6 or 7 audio logs IIRC.

Heck, it's more Halo, and it's great. I grew to love Halo 3 a bit more each time I played, and maybe it'll happen again if I can bear the between level sections. That said, it looks from the level select like I won't have to when I revisit the levels on Legendary.

Thank Christ for that. The night time sections are a complete chore. It gets boring very quickly playing in the dark all the time. I never want to see them again once it's completed. The very worst thing that's happened to Bungie since their initial Halo success is that they think they've become great story tellers. It's embarrassing how true the opposite is. The story, voice acting and cut scenes in this are as retarded as the decision not to allow Matchmaking in Firefight.

I'm glad we're all different.

Loving this. Really liking the style, the Rookie sections, the dialogue, the story, the stand offs between me, a brute and some pesky sniper. It's all been brilliant so far. Haven't had this much fun since Halo 1. I'm also loving the way it's pretty much the Firefly cast, and wandering round the deserted city is really atmospheric.

And i haven't even touched Firefight yet.

Thumbs up!

Does anyone know what resolution this game is running at? Seems lower than Halo 3.

EDIT: After a bit of a googling, it looks as though it might be the same as Halo 3 (640).

Who cares? It looks great, and there's no sign of these jaggies people were going on about either.

Thank Christ for that. The night time sections are a complete chore. It gets boring very quickly playing in the dark all the time. I never want to see them again once it's completed. The very worst thing that's happened to Bungie since their initial Halo success is that they think they've become great story tellers. It's embarrassing how true the opposite is. The story, voice acting and cut scenes in this are as retarded as the decision not to allow Matchmaking in Firefight.

I'm with you on that.

I hate the Rookie sections as combat seems to consist of me shooting at my avatar.

I want to see the enemies not the graphical abomination they are.

The flash-backs are great though and fighting in daylight is what impresses me.

There's lots of jaggies. You're quite literally fucking lying, right there.

Jaggies, old engine, whatever. It's all bollocks, to me Halo 3 was probaby my favourite looking game on the 360 due to its confident styling and consistent art direction... and this only looks better.

It seems to me that people will try and find fault with anything, just for the sake of it. Just get on with playing a fucking brilliant game.

This isn't really directed at you Meh, but I was pleasantly surprised after all the moaning reviews I'd read.

Played some firefight last night which was fantastic fun with lots of cheering on the last man standing, and Bonnie Tylers/Mariah Carey Hero being sung badly as the voiceover kicks in.

Still don't really see the point of the Rookie sections; dark levels with nothing to see except in vsr mode, very limited enemies and a boring trudge towards the next marker. They just seem to be a way of drawing out the game. From the vidoc on marketplace (very nice HD one) seems they invested a hell of a ot of time on building this part of the game, but have wasted an opportunity to invest a lot more backstory in the slower play.

Played a few games of firefight online last night with people from here and it was laggy at times, just shit at others but occasionally it was superb. At one point someone (don't remember who it was but thanks) was driving the warthog while I mowed everything down. I got about 20 kills in a minute as they were all out in the open just dropped from the ship. Then we moved on to take out a wraith. Eventually, after about 10 minutes in the hog our reign of terror came to an end and I faced off against a hunter and about 7 brutes with just half a clip of pistol ammo. I didn't last too long.

Great fun when it works.

Jaggies, old engine, whatever. It's all bollocks, to me Halo 3 was probaby my favourite looking game on the 360 due to its confident styling and consistent art direction... and this only looks better.

It seems to me that people will try and find fault with anything, just for the sake of it. Just get on with playing a fucking brilliant game.

This isn't really directed at you Meh, but I was pleasantly surprised after all the moaning reviews I'd read.

Well, it's perfectly okay as a game, but that wasn't my point whatsoever.

Got it yesterday (pre-order from argos). Did the rookie section. Wasn't very impressed with the dark levels. Glad to hear the daylight stuff is better.

Only on the 2nd Rookie myself and yes their not exactly action packed so far. The first flashback though loved it, especially managing to get one hunter take the other out for me :D On Heroic as well :P

I really like the Rookie sections. Sneaking past Overshield Hunters under the cover of darkness while some ambient Jazz plays is both soothing and terrifying.

The audio logs as well are really filling in just why exactly the Superintendant is being so helpful.

I'm disappointed with it so far. It feels dated. It was more fun in when my mate joined me in co-op but even that felt a bit tired.

I've only done as far as 'Uplift Reserve' (and that was fun, but... no different to the similar section in Halo 3). I hope it improves.

I started playing the Campaign last night, Solo on Heroic. I've only previously played Halo 3 in Co-op, so I'm not a veteran of single player tactics. I've reached a point in the first flashback

Fillion's search for Veronica

that I'm struggling to complete.

A female soldier has told me to cut through some buildings, and Veronica has said that she's been discovered by the Covenant. The Covenant seem to be everywhere: sniping from the rooftops, grunts, jackals and brutes in the streets and on the walkways above. Cutting through the buildings brings me out at various street-level doorways, all of which are covered by the Covenant and sticking my head out of any of them results in a malestrom of firey death.

What're the best tactics to use here please?

I really like the Rookie sections. Sneaking past Overshield Hunters under the cover of darkness while some ambient Jazz plays is both soothing and terrifying.

The audio logs as well are really filling in just why exactly the Superintendant is being so helpful.

Yeah, i like the rookie sections too, its liek theyre the stealthy ODST bits, the daytime sections are the classic halo bits. And the music, is just :facepalm::lol:

Really loving this so far!! Its just classic Halo awesomeness. The intro was just brilliant too, the pod drop impressed me easily as much as the Killzone 2 beach landing

I started playing the Campaign last night, Solo on Heroic. I've only previously played Halo 3 in Co-op, so I'm not a veteran of single player tactics. I've reached a point in the first flashback

Fillion's search for Veronica

that I'm struggling to complete.

A female soldier has told me to cut through some buildings, and Veronica has said that she's been discovered by the Covenant. The Covenant seem to be everywhere: sniping from the rooftops, grunts, jackals and brutes in the streets and on the walkways above. Cutting through the buildings brings me out at various street-level doorways, all of which are covered by the Covenant and sticking my head out of any of them results in a malestrom of firey death.

What're the best tactics to use here please?

Yep, grab some sniping weapons, theres a ledge you can go out on from inside the building where a jackal will drop a beam rifle. Use that to pick off as many enemies as you can before leaving the building, and watch out as there are snipers behind you when you exit the building. Once you clear the place leave,

but be warned youre about to be attacked by 2 hunters, which you can fight or run right past if youre a little wussy baby