Halo 3: ODST

Moz

Are there Firefight-based achievements? If there are I'm sure there'll be lots to play with, sad as that is.

If anything, the lack of being able to play with randoms will mean there's more of a demand in this place, and a very active thread in online. Hopefully.

There are, yes. I believe there's one for not firing shots or using grenades during a round. Not sure if that was a good one to include.

Why not? There's no matchmaking so it's not like there's any chance of some random player going to for achievements and fucking things up.

Why not? There's no matchmaking so it's not like there's any chance of some random player going to for achievements and fucking things up.

Aye indeed. Anyway I should have the game next week and will be up for any FF schenanigans :(

True, I forgot the lack of match making for a moment and I still have nightmares of American achievement whores fucking up Halo 3 games in my mind. :(

Looks like a few websites have pissed off Microsoft, including Eurogamer:

Fairly often when a highly-anticipated video game is due to come out, the publishing company will place an embargo on certain types of media coverage. An embargo means that the coverage cannot be released to the public until a certain date and time. In the case of Microsoft's upcoming first-person shooter title Halo 3 ODTS, the media embargo for game reviews was set at 9:00pm Pacific Standard Time on Saturday the 19th of September. A number of gaming websites have chosen to go against Microsoft by prematurely posting restricted media. Some have been cited by the game's publisher while others have not.

Video game website GoGamingGiant.com was among the first of the gaming websites to do so, posting their review of ODST a little more than a day early. Microsoft quickly discovered GoGamingGiant's disregard for the rules set in place for all media regarding reviews and had the website take the article down. The website complied, stating "Out of respect for Microsoft and the game we decided to take it down. We apologize for any inconvenience and the review will be back up on Sunday."

Other websites, such as the respected European gaming website EuroGamer.pt, have also shown disregard towards Microsoft's embargo on reviews. The review for Halo 3 ODST, which was posted at 1:33pm their time -- almost 12-hours early, has gotten a multitude of ill-deserved hits. At the time of this article being written there has been no word as to whether or not Microsoft had been notified of another embargo-breaking gaming website.

In response to this article, EuroGamer Portugal (who runs EuroGamer.pt) released a short statement to News10. According to that statement, EuroGamer Portugal "[has] permission from Microsoft Portugal, from our local PR that we can put the review online today at 1pm." News10 has contacted Microsoft's PR agency though they have not been able to verify EuroGamer Portugal's claim.

Also since this article's original release around noon local time on Saturday, at least one other gaming website has launched an early review of ODST. British gaming website NowGamer posted their review of the game, giving it a score of 6.3 out of 10. News10 has contacted the review's writer inquiring about the early posting.

Similar embargo-breaking action occurred as recent as last week as a number of gaming websites posted early reviews of Paradox Interactive's new real-time strategy game Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim. In the case of Majesty 2, Paradox elected to lift the embargo and simply stated in a mass email to the gaming press "While we will not make a habit out of allowing the breaking of embargos, we prefer to see the positive in all this attention."

The Game Guys, along with most other rule-abiding video game journalism websites, will be posting our review of Halo 3 ODTS at its proper allowed time of 9:00pm this Saturday evening per the embaro rules set forth by Microsoft.

Other websites, such as the respected European gaming website EuroGamer.pt, have also shown disregard towards Microsoft's embargo on reviews. The review for Halo 3 ODST, which was posted at 1:33pm their time -- almost 12-hours early, has gotten a multitude of ill-deserved hits.

...shortly followed by "ban this sick filth". ;)

Can someone explain why all websites are obliged to withold their opinion until Microsoft says so? Surely it's just a condition of Microsoft's long-term co-operation?

The Game Guys, along with most other rule-abiding video game journalism websites, will be posting our review of Halo 3 ODTS at its proper allowed time of 9:00pm this Saturday evening per the embaro rules set forth by Microsoft.

Someone should tell them they weren't supposed to reveal the time the embargo was due to lift. Microsoft are going to be furious!

The campaign isn't very special, it's just the familiar and competent Halo gameplay. The new features don't have a significant impact on it. I don't really know what I expected from New Mombasa, but the design is a bit bland imo. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great FPS, but be prepared for a lot of déjà vu moments.

Firefight is great though, with its emphasis on the combat dynamics and improvisation. Think of the encounters from the second level of Halo 1, situated on and around the bases with the marines holed up in them. The music kicking in when the fifth and last round starts is a very nice touch, reminding you that when you survive, your downed comrades, weapons and ammo will respawn to fight the next set of rounds. This will get played a lot.

Argos claim they have delivered the game!

Even though its a 'signed for delivery' and it sure as shit wasn't signed for here!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

This does not bode well for my MW2 pre-order, so much for saving money.

Mothercluckers! I have the same confirmation on my order, and the same lack of gameage!

Still no ODST ;) But confusingly I have just received my Sgt Johnson code from Game. I didn't buy from Game!

Me too. I don't even have a login account with Game!

I have one with Gameplay though. So I've got two codes: one from Gameplay on Friday, one from Game sent this morning.

But no copy of the game yet...