Halo 3: ODST

Why, because I can see MS releasing a new Xbox in 09, latest 10.

What's the point of releasing a new Halo game at the end of the consoles life?

Head of Xbox said 2010 I think, or 2012, one of the two. The console still hasn't hit £100 yet, which is when most of the sales come in, according to previous trends. It'd be ridiculous to release the new console next year.

I would settle for a remake of Halo.

Imagine if they remade Halo 1 with the Halo 3 engine, but didn't fuck with the weapons or levels or anything just remade it in glorious HD. Then add the Theatre so you could watch your beach landing in Silent Cartographer or ploughing through the Library :P . And then finally they include the multplayer as Halo 3 but include all the multiplayer levels from 1,2 and 3 all remade too, like Ivory Tower and Headlong and Turf. I'd buy that. :(

Imagine if they remade Halo 1 with the Halo 3 engine, but didn't fuck with the weapons or levels or anything just remade it in glorious HD. Then add the Theatre so you could watch your beach landing in Silent Cartographer or ploughing through the Library :P . And then finally they include the multplayer as Halo 3 but include all the multiplayer levels from 1,2 and 3 all remade too, like Ivory Tower and Headlong and Turf. I'd buy that. :(
Please let this happen. No gimmicks just this.
Please let this happen. No gimmicks just this.

Seriously though, why? I mean you can play Halo on the xbox already. A high-def version I could understand, but why do you want them to remake Halo 1 in the Halo 3 engine, if you don't want them to change anything? That idea is self-contradictory.

I think the next Halo game will be the big winter title for 2009 on xbox 360. I think winter 2010 will see the launch of the next xbox.

Microsoft seem to be pretty good at 2 year cycles on their big games now and they'll want to get another Halo in before the 360 is over.

Imagine if they remade Halo 1 with the Halo 3 engine, but didn't fuck with the weapons or levels or anything just remade it in glorious HD. Then add the Theatre so you could watch your beach landing in Silent Cartographer or ploughing through the Library :wub: . And then finally they include the multplayer as Halo 3 but include all the multiplayer levels from 1,2 and 3 all remade too, like Ivory Tower and Headlong and Turf. I'd buy that. ;)

Good Lord, YES.

Seriously though, why? I mean you can play Halo on the xbox already. A high-def version I could understand, but why do you want them to remake Halo 1 in the Halo 3 engine, if you don't want them to change anything? That idea is self-contradictory.

Because I still play Halo:CE on my 50hz PAL copy and I'd love to play it with a solid frame rate at the proper speed with tarted up graphics.

If they did do a remake though, I'd want a proper unchanged original mode with the original AI, no dual wielding, original physics etc. - and then a newly balanced remix mode with all the new stuff from Halo 2 and 3 with crazy numbers of covenant and marines fighting it out and 4 player online co-op.

I seriously doubt they'll do a remake, but even if they do, I bet they won't include online multiplayer. Halo 3's multiplayer is one of Bungie/Microsoft's flagship products, I can't see them releasing something that will take players away from it.

the idea of it being a prequel where you get to fight the elites again would be amazing, especially if they managed to incorporate marathon somehow (that was set before halo, wasn't it?).

Marathon is not set in the same universe as Halo.

If they make a Halo 4 then videogaming is truly running out of ideas. I doubt that they would remake halo 1 with multiplayer and detract from the Halo 3 multiplayer cash cow for charging to download 3 crappy maps. I'm tired of the whole halo universe. 3 bored the tits off me and the multiplayer was just awful in terms of lag and juddery framerate (which is very evident if play COD 4 then boot up Halo 3). Rant over. I'll give it 5 mins till the flaming.

If they make a Halo 4 then videogaming is truly running out of ideas. I doubt that they would remake halo 1 with multiplayer and detract from the Halo 3 multiplayer cash cow for charging to download 3 crappy maps. I'm tired of the whole halo universe. 3 bored the tits off me and the multiplayer was just awful in terms of lag and juddery framerate (which is very evident if play COD 4 then boot up Halo 3). Rant over. I'll give it 5 mins till the flaming.

I don't think it would mean videogaming is running out of ideas - it means videogaming is still waiting for a worthy follow-up to the astoundingly brilliant first Halo and maybe, just maybe, Halo 4 will be the one.

If there's a new Halo than it would be a prequel surely. Halo Origins or something.

Personally I reckon it's all pants, there won't be a new Halo, but Bungie lay down some "hints" for a planned announcement next Monday so everyone listens in only to find out it's Marathon 3:Snicker Wars.

I would like to see Bungie do something a bit different. I mean, how many years have they been working on Halo and its iterative sequels now? Of course, it's a moneyspinner they can't ignore, but I think the popularity has peaked now - they've already released (what was billed as) the final chapter in the trilogy. They should get another franchise established while they still have their cachet.

And more importantly, I'm bored with Halo now. I'm not sure how much further they can take the formula without turning it into an ultra-complex FPS that Halo deliberately wasn't. Even the additions to Halo 3 made things a bit too complicated and fiddly for me.

It can't be anything other than a massive disappointment - we're already talking about prequels without the flood and with massive battles between elites and spartans, but it will most likely be something completely uninteresting and completely unrelated to Halo. Doesn't stop most of us from secretly hoping that an epic trailer of Halo: Fall of Reach will be shown during the the microsoft conference.

But massive disappointments make for the best E3 threads tbh, just look at the massive damage/giant crab/ etc Sony conference thread, how we LOL'ed.

I don't think it would mean videogaming is running out of ideas - it means videogaming is still waiting for a worthy follow-up to the astoundingly brilliant first Halo and maybe, just maybe, Halo 4 will be the one.

The astoundingly, astonishingly, fantastically, revolutionarily, incredibly, unbelievably, genre-definingly fantastic uber game that was the first Halo.

One love.