rllmuk
Twinbee

All hail the synth!

22 hours ago, Benny said:

What is this and when can I plug it into my veins:

Love The Carpenter Brut, music in that sounds a lot better than Leather Teeth and more along the lines of the Awesome Trilogy stuff

Been unusually captivated by this 'Edge Runner' track from Michael Shrieve and Steve Roach's The Leaving Time LP.  Picked it up a few weeks back and have had it on almost constantly. 

That skittering, manic-tempo arpeggio, the slap bass that comes in at around the two minute mark, David Torn's guitar soaring over the whole thing. It's like they put all the shit I'm susceptible to into one track. 

Vid should start at the right point:

• Upvote 1

Generally listening to loads of really clean, digital New Age stuff from the mid-eighties. Like this piece by one-time Zappa band-member Patrick O'Hearn, that just has this patient precision to it that I find really satisfying. 

Actually found it through one of figure skater Gary Beacom's programmes from '92, which only seems to have survived in the shittiest 240p quality imaginable, but is still completely mesmerising.

I might be veering off topic.

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Anyone on here going to see The Midnight on their UK tour?  Bristol for me cannot wait. 

Yep, going to see them in Glasgow. 

I'm very excited to sing along to songs I've been singing in my head for a good few years now and to thrown down 80's moves I haven't used since the bloody decade. 

I hoping the men and women face each other in school disco line style :P

• Upvote 1

On 13/10/2019 at 16:24, Nequests said:

Generally listening to loads of really clean, digital New Age stuff from the mid-eighties. Like this piece by one-time Zappa band-member Patrick O'Hearn, that just has this patient precision to it that I find really satisfying. 

Actually found it through one of figure skater Gary Beacom's programmes from '92, which only seems to have survived in the shittiest 240p quality imaginable, but is still completely mesmerising.

Liking this - how does the rest of the album compare? I popped his name into Discogs, which was keen to tell me that I had one of his albums! Actually, he was featured on Dan Siegel's 1984 LP "Another Time, Another Place", which is a fairly nice album of smooth new-age jazz. Looking at the tracklist, I can't remember a standout track. Possibly the title track?

I came here to post this track from Lyle Mays' (of Pat Methany Group) 1986 debut solo record. The rest of the album is a bit more jazzy - though still very new-age and melodic throughout. 

On 20/11/2019 at 04:56, acidbearboy said:

Liking this - how does the rest of the album compare? I popped his name into Discogs, which was keen to tell me that I had one of his albums! Actually, he was featured on Dan Siegel's 1984 LP "Another Time, Another Place", which is a fairly nice album of smooth new-age jazz. Looking at the tracklist, I can't remember a standout track. Possibly the title track?

I think that's the highlight, but the rest of the album seems to be in a similar vein. I should probably listen to the whole thing more, but gotten pretty stuck on that one.

Really like that Lyle Mays!

On 21/11/2019 at 22:45, Mr Monday said:

This is how you make a YouTube demo of a synth from 1983.

His channel is one of the best synth ones on YouTube. I particularly love his Music of Terminator videos and the Music of Escape From New York video with extensive input from Alan Howarth.

• Upvote 1

On 22/11/2019 at 15:56, Nequests said:

I think that's the highlight, but the rest of the album seems to be in a similar vein. I should probably listen to the whole thing more, but gotten pretty stuck on that one.

Really like that Lyle Mays!

I checked out another track from the album that sounded suspiciously like Robert Miles’ Children. Found a CD copy online for about £7 so ordered it. That Lyle Mars album is good but was a lot jazzier than I remembered second time around. 

I've recently went a bit cuckoo on buying electronic music generation/manipulation toys. A Kaossilator Pro, a Kaosspad KP3, Akai MPK 2, music software for my laptop and android devices, oh and some cheap Pioneer DJ controller and bookshelf monitors. I'm having a blast and even though my skill is about as good as a 45 year old who had three drum lessons 30+ years ago I'm looking to improve. I've always loved electronic music going back to hearing Donna Summer and Giogrio Moroder stuff on the radio through to Planet Rock etc and then the Acid and House craze. I've never looked too in depth with the really early stuff, bar exploring things like the Radiophonic Workshop and Kraftwerk. 

My new love for my music gadgets has changed that and I've recently been listening to some really old electronic music creation clips and tunes. Right back to the Voder (fucking freaky) to my current exploration, Bruce Haack.

Great discovering this stuff. This is a little later down the line but the guy was definitely an innovator, if a little odd.

A quick reminder in case you missed it - the annual RLLMUK music poll is now pinned at the top of the music forum - it's open until 31 December, and it would be brilliant to have your votes! You don’t have to have 10 albums - your vote counts, even if you have just one album you’ve liked this year :)

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/313514-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2019-list-thread-open-until-31-december/