Good things to marinade quality steak in.

Rodders

Right, I've been going to Borough Market (London) for a while now to get good Ribeye (might try fillet soon), and I was wondering what I could be marinading them in? Currently I'm just seasoning, but how about some new, subtle tastes? Don't want to whop cheap BBQ sauce on, but something a little more interesting.

Ideas?

I've recently been buying rib-in joints of the same cut, i.e. the beef equivalent of a pork chop. So you get the bone (or several, if you buy a bigger piece), some meat and fat around the outside, and the rib-eye steak itself in the middle. Like this:

Rib1.jpg

It's currently my favourite cut of meat, which is why I keep going on about it.

Anyway, I'd cooked one piece the other week, and had one left in the fridge. I really fancied a beef curry, so I cubed it, and let it marinate for 24 hours in a bit of oil, plus crushed garlic, ground cumin, ground fennel seeds, chilli powder, curry powder, salt & pepper. Then I used it to make a curry.

It was outrageously tender and amazing, and the thought of it is making me salivate. Using yoghurt in this sort of marinade is always a winner as well.

Slightly OT, but when is the best time to go to Borough market? I work close by, yet I've never been there.

Friday & Saturday used to be the main days (I've only ever been on a Friday), but I think it is open Thursdays as well.

If I worked by Borough Market, I'd go there every single day. It's food mecca, get to it!

Must sees:

The Ginger Pig, for amazing sausages amongst other things

Brindissa, for chorizo, Spanish Broad Beans, etc.

The various Fruit & Veg stalls, which are dazzling

Monmouth Coffee

And many other stalls.

Yeah, it used to just be Friday and Saturday. Now I think the only days that is it not open are Sunday and Monday. Then a few shops/stalls are open on Tuesday becoming more so until Friday and Saturday when it is in full swing. Or at least that's how it was when I worked nearby a year or so ago (god I loved my lunch break. Double Chorizo and rocket sandwiches FTW. Mulled wine in December). Good choice of shops there Davros, I think you've nailed it. + Main fish and meat stalls in middle and of course Neal's Yard Dairy.

Slightly OT, but when is the best time to go to Borough market? I work close by, yet I've never been there.

As Davrod says, Ginger Pig is good (where I have been getting said ribeye from, no less). I always get posh sausages from the shop opposite, bloody marvellous snack. I also get the amazingly chocolaty brownies on the other side of the market, next to the olive stall, whose olives are bloody great too. Buffalo Mozarella and parma ham are amazing too. God I love that place. Took me over a year to go there first time, now I go every 2 weeks or so.