Diablo III - Eternal Collection out on Switch

revlob

For me the always online for the single player mode is the killer. I can totally understand it for multiplayer. I'm even ok with the auction house for multiplayer (even if I do worry about pay to win.)

Anyway it's an issue that bigger than Diablo III so I'll start up a moaning thread about always online sometime this weekend. At least we have options. There's plenty of other dungeon crawls for us lone gamers out there.

I am the biggest d2 fan had weekly lan parties for months but all I have to say is that if blizzard can keep their servers very stable and cheat free then there is no.problem from me.

As for those who say authenticate at start are you kidding me? Go to gamecopyworld or any torrent site and see how effective that is I have been using no cd cracks for over a decade.

Provided the gameplay is not.just more.of the same.with prettier graphics that's all that's important

This is such a third-world problem it hurts. Sob sob, a giant company wants to make a bit more money out of their entertainment product, cue shut-ins screaming at each other in dark corners of the internet. (Though thankfully rllmuk has remained quite rational, kudos to all). It seems most people haven't even read the full details of the proposed plans, or Blizzard's defence of them which cropped up a day later. I just can't get riled up about the framework built around a bit of absent minded skeleton-clicking. Must be getting old. If someone had told me Blizzard were patching in a proper player-to-player store during the height of Diablo II's dodgy ebay dealings and SoJ trading I'd have been pretty happy about it.

People are always going to complain on the internet when a game comes out that doesn't totally fit their idea of what it should be. I think a lot of us have been taken by surprise with these new revelations and I don't think we're there yet with the always online implementation. I'm moving soon and have no idea what my internet access will be like short term. If I had Diablo III now and was without the internet, I wouldn't be able to play a game I legitimately bought? Or if I travelled regularly, public wifi hasn't really reached a level that we can rely on to use wherever we are, so what then?

It sounds like nitpicking but even with the best net connection around, sometimes it just goes down for a few hours - what if I was playing and that happened? For single player, I think it's too soon and something I definitely have to consider.

The auction house stuff is crap but I wouldn't use it anyway so to each their own.

The changes to the economy may well be the next step in the Next Gen evolution; the empowerment of the player.

With this change, any one player has the potential to be a one-man business. Crafted weapons; a level you just made in the Galaxy Map editor; a 3rd person shooter that youve spent 6 months putting together; whats the difference?

edit: OT

Edited by ronin

I don't like the always online approach when its used purely to stop pirates and inconvenience everyone else (ubisoft?). I can see it being needed if items are to be sold for real money though as all the item/character data will have to stored online securely instead. Anything stored client side and available offline can just be hacked/duped, which will make the real money ah worthless.

I wonder what they will do to stop bots farming for items to sell though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not that interested in Diablo 3 anymore, I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn (for the makers of Titan Quest) a lot more, but still I totally forgot that I wanted to mention that I played Diablo 3 at Gamescom a few weeks ago! Who wants to touch me?

Impressions: it's Diablo, it's slick, it plays very smooth, the monk kicks ass.

I know, man :) have you played Torchlight II? I'm presuming that was at Gamescom?

I have! ... at Gamescom last year because this year it was nowhere to be found :( Believe me, I looked. I posted my impressions of last years play of Torchlight 2 in the relevant thread:

I got to see and play a bit of Torchlight 2 at Gamescom 2010, the game had a small booth where you could play 4-player co-op. I played both the Torchlight 2 Gamescom demo and the original Torchlight too little for extensive and massively insightful impressions, but I did like what I saw! What I didn't like about the first game compared to Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (my personal favourite game by far in this genre) was the lack of an overworld to explore. I know a lot of people love playing nothing but randomized dungeons, but somehow that just isn't for me. In Torchlight 2 however everything looks far nicer, I was exploring a great looking overworld, arrived in a big city with shops and people to talk to, then went off to explore the countryside and stumbled across an inn, the owner of which also had quests for me.

The graphics look nicer, saw some awesome looking monsters and the game seemed like a lot of fun to play. The main attraction was co-op of course, rampaging through the countryside with three other players was as awesome as it sounds.

IMG_3478.JPG

I also scored a Torchlight t-shirt and a Torchlight 2 mousemat at their stand! I'm using the mousemat right now, it's so much more responsive than my old mousemat which I threw away immediately :lol:

In short: the game is looking *very* promising indeed.

Uhm I seem to have misplaced the photo I took of the booth and linked to in that post :unsure:

I'm still using that Torchlight 2 mousemat btw! It's the best mousemat I ever had - and it was free :D

OK, this time the beta really is starting, just Blizzard friends and family at the moment, closed public beta is very close, but there's no NDA so should mean more info coming out now and streams appearing. Watching some of the Demon Hunter and first impression is the sound effects are really good and it looks lots of fun.

Monk stream at the moment

Demon Hunter Stream

Recording of Templar then Monk

Does seem the case now that a beta is more an extension of the pre-launch marketing, I guess they will always provide some useful data though, putting servers under load etc. It does have the unfortunate consequence of when a beta is a real beta as Red Orchestra 2 seems to be, you get people complaining about how the game's buggy and doesn't work properly.

Some beta videos, Demon Hunter looks fun I do tend to favour the rogue type classes so not going to be let down there. I'm not usually a fan of them but Monk looks like a lot of fun as does Wizard, not too sure about the Witch Doctor though. Will probably be a toss up between Wizard and Demon Hunter for my first character.

Beta system requirements, at least for the beta it's seems the case if you've got a PC it will likely run it.

MINIMUM SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

PC

OS: Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c

Processor: Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+

Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better

Mac

OS: Mac® OS X 10.6.8 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo

Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better

All Platforms

HD Space: 12 GB available HD space | Memory: 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/

Windows® 7 users, 2 GB for Mac® users) | Drive: DVD-ROM drive | Internet: Broadband Internet

connection | Display: 1024x768 minimum display resolution

(Note: Be advised that some wireless connections do not meet the minimums required to be a true Broadband Internet connecton. Wireless results may vary.)

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

PC

OS: Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz | Memory: 2 GB RAM | Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or

ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Mac

OS: Mac® OS X 10.7 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo | Memory: 2 GB RAM

Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better

Looks amazing as far as i'm concerned. Thinking back to all that whining from certain quarters that the graphics had gone all 'WOW' a while back makes me laugh. The music is sounding distinctly familiar and suitable too. Now just need to wait for the teasing little minxes to give us a solid release date.