Diablo III - Eternal Collection out on Switch

Standalone Diablo 1 HD would have certainly been preferred, considering Blizzard themselves have said many times how limiting the D3 engine is these days for them.

Necro looks nice, but nothing special 'yet'. It'll be nice to have yet more lore/another perspective on the plot nonetheless.

Bullet points from the dev Q&A:

Seasons coming to consoles.

Crafting materials getting own separate storage, no longer affects stash.

Kanai's Cube recipes autofill if you have the materials.

Miriam will stock all dye colours.

Bonus legendary gem upgrade chance if you complete a GR without dying.

New zones in Act II: Shrouded Moors, Temple of the Firstborn.

Realms of Fate: zone pieces that blend seamlessly into each other - kind of an experimental idea.

Greater monster density in Grifts.

Grift entrances now always a safe space.

Can now damage and kill leaping monsters in mid-air :D

Some older ledges getting useful new powers.

Challenge Rifts: Essentially a 'daily challenge' style fixed loadout and map for rifts, with leaderboards.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I purchased Diablo 3 to play with my son and we have played about four hours so far. At the moment we have no idea what is going on but we are having great fun just plowing through the dungeons. Do I really need to bother with all of the loot drops and gear you find? Does the game auto equip more powerful items or do you need to faff about in the menus? Any advice would be appreciated as we don't want to hit some killer difficulty spike later on.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, thecyclingninja said:

I purchased Diablo 3 to play with my son and we have played about four hours so far. At the moment we have no idea what is going on but we are having great fun just plowing through the dungeons. Do I really need to bother with all of the loot drops and gear you find? Does the game auto equip more powerful items or do you need to faff about in the menus? Any advice would be appreciated as we don't want to hit some killer difficulty spike later on.

I think there are streamlined ways to switch newly-gathered gear using the D-pad, but the game doesn't auto-equip.

But on your first run through, as you ascend from lvl 1 to 70, you'll probably only really need to change gear periodically, not necessarily every time you pick something up. Gear is colour-coded by rarity; once everything you've got is Blue, don't even bother thinking about switching in the white loot you just picked up.

It's worth picking everything up, Junking most of it and then selling/salvaging all your junk in the town.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think there are streamlined ways to switch newly-gathered gear using the D-pad, but the game doesn't auto-equip.

But on your first run through, as you ascend from lvl 1 to 70, you'll probably only really need to change gear periodically, not necessarily every time you pick something up. Gear is colour-coded by rarity; once everything you've got is Blue, don't even bother thinking about switching in the white loot you just picked up.

It's worth picking everything up, Junking most of it and then selling/salvaging all your junk in the town.

Thanks for that advice. Really enjoying the game but looks like I'll have to dig a bit deeper. Such a well crafted experience though.

From memory, here's what I'd do on my first run through (assuming you're not doing the permadeath mode, in which case more reading is recommended):

Understand the gear rarity: it goes Grey (junk) White (normal, also likely Junk pretty quickly), Blue, Yellow, Gold, Green.

Understand which the Main stat is for your class - you're either Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence based.

Equip whichever gear has the highest addition for your main stat. If the Big number is significantly ahead of what's equipped for any given slot, consider putting that in instead.

When you get to the point where everything's dying too quickly, put the difficulty up. You want to be breezing stuff fast, but not so fast that you're not scoring as much sweet XP as possible.

Salvage everything rather than selling. Use gold to level your artisans, not to buy gear.

Explore everywhere.

Ruby gems in your main weapon add damage, and in your hat add XP. This is probably most useful for a fresh dude.

The game is really about racing through the story and to lvl 70 so you can play around in Adventure Mode and start doing Rifts. Then a world of reading awaits.

• Upvote 1

Gear can be quickly compared to what you have on by looking at the arrows at the bottom of each piece.

Diablo-III_-Reaper-Souls-Ultimate-Evil-E

In the example above the Monster Hunter sword provides more damage (1st column), more toughness (2nd Column) and the same amount of health regeneration (3rd Column).

So a good rule of thumb whilst leveling is that if it has green arrows in the first two columns you'll want to use it, the only time you might not want to take a raw stat upgrade is if you have a legendary with a cool proc. :)

• Upvote 1

I got round to killing Diablo on my hardcore run the other day on PS4. The permadeath is really worrying me now, I've put more hours into my hardcore run than most other games in the last year, the thought of losing it now is terrifying.

I'll get the Reaper of Souls content done and then get back to farming rifts on my main, don't think I have the nerve to do adventure mode on hardcore (if it's even available).

Can't wait for seasons on ps4.

• Upvote 1

4K support added for PS4 Pro in the 1.15 patch. Reports are that 1080 screens look much sharper but no confirmation yet on what the res is on UHD screens actually is. It's a fairly untaxing game graphically so a full 4K upgrade would be lovely. 

94E2AC49-EBD9-4A7E-B857-E0E7F02454B4_zps

Amazing the support this game continues to get so long after release. May fire it up to give that event a whirl. 

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

I got round to killing Diablo on my hardcore run the other day on PS4. The permadeath is really worrying me now, I've put more hours into my hardcore run than most other games in the last year, the thought of losing it now is terrifying.

I'll get the Reaper of Souls content done and then get back to farming rifts on my main, don't think I have the nerve to do adventure mode on hardcore (if it's even available).

Can't wait for seasons on ps4.

Adventure mode is available, and it's quite a rush doing Rifts on your hardcore character. Having said that, I went back to my softcore main (Firebirds for life, no doubt nerfed by the latest patch) shortly after getting a few paragon levels into my hardcore guy. The rift balance is interesting in hardcore though - trying to balance how fast you can go (to beat the clock) against how likely it is you'll fuck up and die. Makes it feel like a completely different game. I'd say in terms of the main game though, after about half way through my hardcore run I found it got progressively easier as I levelled up, and towards the end I never felt seriously in peril. So I'm sure you'll be fine - I didn't find Urzael, Adria or Malthael as nerve-wracking as some of the earlier bosses; even though Big Mal himself is actually harder than most you should be super tough yourself by then.

I'm looking forward to Seasons on console as well. It'll be nice to start from scratch again with new goals and rewards.

• Upvote 2

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just the information alone on this page about rifts, adventure/hardcore mode, levelling up artisans and changing difficulty levels has my head about to explode. 

Will have to do some reading on the weekend but the tips in this thread will get me started. 

It it seems the diablo one content is only available until the end of January. If this is the case should I be playing that first?

Awesome news about the update and the pro patch! I'm going to have to check this out asap.

thecyclingninja just enjoy the time with it and everything will make sense in time, that 4 hours in you're having so much fun playing is great, it'll only get better from there. 

23 hours ago, thecyclingninja said:

There's a lot of great tips on this page so the only other one I can think of would be to enable Elective Mode in the options/control settings.

This will allow you to freely map your skills to any of the face or shoulder buttons; letting you to use multiple skills from the same categories.

So the time limited anniversary event is on at the moment, I ran through it the other night and it was pretty pap and went on to long I was glad when I eventually finished it however I'll probably run through it again having read this : http://www.icy-veins.com/d3/diablo-anniversary-event-complete-guide as there are a couple of pets to get one of which you only get if you start the run with level 1 character.

So I re-downloaded the game after getting my lost battle.net authenticator removed. Installed it and I have 5 old characters, none of them I can remember creating. My main character seems to be called "clunge" :lol: It's a level 70 with some obscenely powerful stuff. Still, I think I'll start playing again from the beginning and see how I get on :) Haven't been keeping up with all the patches so it will be interesting to see what's changed.

I just played through the event with a new Barbarian, and I agree that it was a bit of a slog. I've not played much of the original Diablo, so the nostalgia didn't last much longer than the Butcher fight. After that it was basically just a dull dungeon crawl that looked and sounded worse than the rest of the game. It was also very easy (err, on Normal), to the point where I didn't have time to register that I was fighting Diablo before he went down.

I got my Butcher pet though! I was on the way to getting the cow pet too before I realised it would cost no less than 1,000,000 gold.

26 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Paging @VN1X get in on this!!!! So we can finally plaaaayyy.

Also I can't believe it's been almost 5 years?? How...when.... I do not like this.

Still too expensive I'm afraid. :(

Maybe some other time when I don't already have similar games lined up to play.