IGNORED

Diablo III - Eternal Collection out on Switch

revlob

Ok, so I've never played a Diablo game before, never really seen the appeal of them, and didnt intend to get this and probably wouldnt if I hadnt been a sucker and gotten the annual pass for WoW and gotten it for free. But it has to be said I'm absolutely frickin' loving it and even tempted to pick up Diablo 2 on the back of this.

Thats not to say its perfect. The online only thing has been gone over many many times already, so I wont say too much about it. Having said that I've been lucky in that I've not been affected too much by it, perhaps 30 minutes and 2 disconnects, but some kind of offline mode would have been nice. Also, maybe I've just had bad luck, but I rarely seem to get items dropping that are any good for me. Almost all the upgrades I can get I've found on vendors or on the AH. I think it was a mistake to allow 2 primary stats to appear on items (not counting Vit) as the meagre bonuses you get from them if they arent your stat are almost always a waste. And most the rares I find have stuff like that. Also crafting is way too random - I actually made 4 of a rare shoulder item and not a single one was useable for my demon hunter. Considering the mats that went into it, that was pretty annoying. Oh, I tell I lie, one had dex on, but it was eclipsed by a massive amount of Int.

Other than that, I've been having a blast with my demon hunter, though I'm only 33 at the moment. I'm also at the end boss now, though I'm getting my arse kicked. I've heard some long time Diablo players complain about the skills system because its not as "complex" as D2. From what I've read I dont agree with that. It sounds like in D2, you had certain builds that were viable, and ones that werent, and it was possible to entirely screw up your character by making the wrong choices as you levelled. I heard a few people actually describe that as a good thing though! Saying "it meant you had to level more characters to get your build right" and that this system where you can change skills whenever was dumbing the game down. I'm not sure how anyone can say that a system that means re-starting a character because you got it "wrong" is a good system. For example, on the second to last boss, I died a few times because my current build was very offense orientated. Rather than just beat my head against it till I got lucky, I actually had a good look at my skills, to see if I could tweak them to something that might work. So I started using the turret with the homing missiles so I could drop it and let it chip away at his health, and the shadow power with the rune that let me turn more damage into healing. That still didnt work as when he got to me, he dropped me before the healing could help. So I swapped my trusty hungering arrows for tangling shot to try and kite him, and cull the weak as a passive to increase damage when he got slowed. The next try he nearly died, but obviously my change in strategy worked, so I tried again and killed him.

Had a couple of goes of the last boss last night and it seems like a long fight that pretty tricky on normal. I think I may have to grind out some better gear before I stand a chance, but I'm going to look at my skills and see if I can get a strategy in place to kill him with what I have (my gear aint great if I'm honest, still wearing some quite low level items that I havent found replacements for). I like this system though. It makes me think about whats on my bars, so I'm not sure why people think its dumbed down compared to one which most people needed a guide to do "right".

Im wondering now with Hell, as a Barbarian, whether to stick with 2-handers or go for a 1h + shield. The Barbies in the few coops Ive done so far have all wielded a shield, with me seemingly wiping a lot more than those with one.

FWIW I started using a shield in Hell. Most endgame builds don't have a Fury spender because they're all a bit shit. Seismic Slam is good I guess.

Anyway there's a couple of builds I've used here:

or your secret Punternet account

Fuck, you know about that? emot-froggonk.gif

That isn't to say there isn't a breach somewhere but in this case I actually trust Blizzard over any other source I've seen so far.

Also as far as I can see the media in this area is terrible. I website I really like, Rock Paper Shotgun, are increasingly posting articles about "bad stuff" seemingly based on random forum posts and email submissions that they then have to heavily edit later when it comes out that the truth is something else entirely. I bet RPS aren't even close to being the worst for it.

I think RPS have been quite even handed over this. I think there are reasons for people who bought this for the single player campaign to be worried about the direction of the serious and of any performance issues that are cropping up.

I do think some of the people responding in the comments threads on both sides of the issue really need to dial it back. Seriously? People who are playing the game and no performance issues or complaints are dumb idiots who need to die in a fire? People who are worried about the Diablo 3 DRM are left wing liberal pirates who need to go out and buy the game and either love it or shut up? Both sides can fuck off, it's just noise.

Of course RPS is posting about bad stuff. If I had laid down my $60-$90 and couldn't log in, had my account hacked or kept losing session in week one I'd be mildly annoyed. If I was only in it for the single player campaign I'd be well pissed. And I'm glad that RPS is posting about the consumer issues to do with this. If I was Blizzard's community director I know I'd be making a beeline to sites like RPS to put ActiBlizzard's side of the story. Because I know RPS would report on it. (And Blizzard can't be too happy with the coverage there, I've seen loads of banner and side panel adverts for Diablo 3 at RPS.)

Just to update on my last post, finally killed the last boss so now I can go on to Nightmare mode. Turned out it was really a case of not keeping my gear up to date and ignoring vit so my health was rubbish. On the previous boss, I could work around it as the fight was much shorter, but on this fight I had roughly the same margin for error, but about 4 times length of time to make it in. Looked on the AH and spent around 8000g on pieces with dex and vit on. For all the faults people have with the AH, if you are after a piece with particular stats, its pretty good. I even had a look for magic item find as well to bump that while I was at it.

Tweaked my skills again, used the vault rune that increased run speed after to help me keep out of range, went back to hungering arrow but this time with the burn rune for extra damage. Did the job, and now I'm back at the start of the game, yet looking forward to playing it through again, albeit slightly harder!

Sorry to be one of those annoying folk who asks this type of question, but just wondering if this is worth buying to play on my laptop. Specs

core i5 sandybridge 2.5ghz

6 gb DDR3 ram

1gb AMD Radeon 6470m

Would want to run it around 720p res and be happy with medium settings at 60fps. I don't know if it's a CPU intensive heavy game (in which case I'm fine) or a GPU one.

Sorry to be one of those annoying folk who asks this type of question, but just wondering if this is worth buying to play on my laptop. Specs

6 gb DDR3 ram

1gb AMD Radeon 6470m

Would want to run it around 720p res and be happy with medium settings at 60fps. I don't know if it's a CPU intensive heavy game (in which case I'm fine) or a GPU one.

your friend

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

6 gb DDR3 ram

1gb AMD Radeon 6470m

It'll run no bother on that, mate. Add me to your friends list once you're up and running!

Apologies, would normally have used that but I haven't actually got the laptop on me. With my brother until I pick it up on Monday, but was about to pop out and possibly pick up Diablo 3 from the shops so just wanted to check

It'll run no bother on that, mate. Add me to your friends list once you're up and running!

Will do! Cheers

Apologies, would normally have used that but I haven't actually got the laptop on me. With my brother until I pick it up on Monday, but was about to pop out and possibly pick up Diablo 3 from the shops so just wanted to check

Will do! Cheers

No worries, needs posting often anyway. Surprisingly not well known and can be a boon for the unsure.

Just to update on my last post, finally killed the last boss so now I can go on to Nightmare mode. Turned out it was really a case of not keeping my gear up to date and ignoring vit so my health was rubbish. On the previous boss, I could work around it as the fight was much shorter, but on this fight I had roughly the same margin for error, but about 4 times length of time to make it in. Looked on the AH and spent around 8000g on pieces with dex and vit on. For all the faults people have with the AH, if you are after a piece with particular stats, its pretty good. I even had a look for magic item find as well to bump that while I was at it.

Tweaked my skills again, used the vault rune that increased run speed after to help me keep out of range, went back to hungering arrow but this time with the burn rune for extra damage. Did the job, and now I'm back at the start of the game, yet looking forward to playing it through again, albeit slightly harder!

Yeah, I found that when I start dying a lot on my barbarian it isn't a skills or runes issue, but the fact I've been neglecting vitality in a greedy pursuit of more damage! I had to find about 2000 more health when leaping up from normal to nightmare to be comfortable again.

Finally completed Normal last night.

Diablo is skinnier than I remember!

I'll set about indiscriminately adding everyone from the rllmuk Battle.net list, my Battletag is Ingy#2446. I have a level 32 Barbarian at the start of Nightmare, with every other class at level 1. I'm quite keen to start a Demon Hunter, I have loads of decent-ish Dexterity gear cluttering up my stash.

Finally completed Normal last night.

Diablo is skinnier than I remember!

I'll set about indiscriminately adding everyone from the rllmuk Battle.net list, my Battletag is Ingy#2446. I have a level 32 Barbarian at the start of Nightmare, with every other class at level 1. I'm quite keen to start a Demon Hunter, I have loads of decent-ish Dexterity gear cluttering up my stash.

Theres some speculation that either Diablo is more "gender neutral" than previous because evil doesnt have a gender, or that after doing whatever to Leah, he becomes slightly more feminine due to using her body. I dunno, did look like he/she/it had boobs at one point, though that could have just been the angle of the camera

Demon hunter is a lot of fun. I use the twin Chakrams and Rapid Fire with the slowing rune on packs as it just eats them up while keeping them away. Then I have vault to make a quick getaway when needed, and turret with heatseeking missiles to cover my arse. I've experimented with the skills a fair bit and sometimes I swap turret with fan of knives with the slowing rune - when being swarmed hitting that then vaulting away is pretty effective. My main attack has been hungering arrows because it kills the quickest, but the others have their uses with various runes/passives.

Just starting Hell with my lvl 51 Barb and I'm already getting my arse served to me on an undead platter.

Got a few of the mini dungeon cellars right at the start, both have yellow undead, and both are insta death. I feel like I should leave them and try to level up more before tackling. But that feels defeatist and nothing has stopped me so far.

6 gb DDR3 ram

1gb AMD Radeon 6470m

The 6470 is around 10% slower than the HD4000 http://www.anandtech.com/show/5865/laptop-graphics-face-off-diablo-iii-performance/3

FWIW I started using a shield in Hell. Most endgame builds don't have a Fury spender because they're all a bit shit. Seismic Slam is good I guess.

Anyway there's a couple of builds I've used here: http://www.rllmukfor...60#entry8618811

Fuck, you know about that? emot-froggonk.gif

Cheers I will have a go at those builds later tonight :)

I did go with a shield for a while yesterday and it felt better.

Just starting Hell with my lvl 51 Barb and I'm already getting my arse served to me on an undead platter.

Got a few of the mini dungeon cellars right at the start, both have yellow undead, and both are insta death. I feel like I should leave them and try to level up more before tackling. But that feels defeatist and nothing has stopped me so far.

Same here, just about to finish off Act 1 on Hell. The first real headache on Hell was the 3 Dark Berserkers outside the chapel in Wortham. It turned out they were equipped with some of the worst abilities for our Barb heavy party; Fast, Vampiric, and either Plagued or Desecrator cant remember clearly. We kept at it for 20 minutes or so but it felt utterly impossible to do. Engaging in any kind of melee was futile so I relied solely on using Earthquake to chop some of their HPs off, which they easily regained before the cooldown wore off for another. Left the game and started quest over, which spawned a much easier combination of a monster abilities but it still took me quite a while to finish them alone.

Quite the contrast to earlier difficulties.

Yeah, I found that when I start dying a lot on my barbarian it isn't a skills or runes issue, but the fact I've been neglecting vitality in a greedy pursuit of more damage! I had to find about 2000 more health when leaping up from normal to nightmare to be comfortable again.

I've been thinking about this a fair bit. WoW bit incoming:

For serious PvP in WoW, health and mitigation (in the form of a special stops-you-being-critted-on stat called resilience) are the most important things. Having twice as much health as someone else but doing half the damage works MUCH better than the converse. This is because you can manage the spikes in your health. If you're either on full health or dead, it's impossible to survive. If 3 hard hitting mobs are around you and their attacks happen to coincide, you're going to go from full->dead before you can react, however fancy your abilities are.

Now, in Diablo, the melee classes *HAVE* to tank, there's no choice in the matter. In WoW a tank can hold aggro on everything, whilst melee dps are theoretically NEVER getting hit. This isn't the case in Diablo. Therefore Barbs and Monks really need to consider shields, defensive skills and gearing for vitality. Gearing for dps alone simply isn't, and shouldn't be, an option.

This concern also applies to the other 3 classes to a lesser extent, but especially when soloing. Even in parties, the Barb and Monk don't have the tools to keep all the aggro to themselves and the game isn't designed like that anyway. So even DHs and Wizards need to consider their vitality more and more as the game goes on.

That this is Blizzard's intention is also clear through the recent nerfs in the hotfix. The Energy shield which meant no attack could do more than 35% of a Wizard's HP has now been capped at a maximum absorption of 100% of your HP. This is to stop what was happening: Wizard's using this shield but gearing for no Vitality at all and letting the shield take care of it. Same with the changes to the Monk's Mantra and the DH's Smoke Screen which got the mega-nerf bat...

So yeah: you might have lots of cool gain X% HP back abilities, but if you don't have the HP and mitigation to survive for long enough, they won't help you...

So I reached Rakanoth on Normal on my Demon Hunter and 1st attempt he teleported to me and immediately 1 shotted me. 2nd attempt I had caltrops with stun ready and although he still hit me he didn't kill me. I vaulted out the way, he teleported to me immediately and this time killed me with 1 hit. So I rummaged around in my stash, checked out the vendors and managed to double my hit points without really losing anything, went back to Rakanoth and this time he just sat in the middle doing very little until he died. Not really sure what was going on. So far DH is very much like my Wizard where most of the time I can be a complete glass cannon without ever coming close to dying and but then the odd boss fight will just wreck me.

Well, my first ever co-op session was a bit of a marathon, doing all of Act I on Nightmare with Alan Stock, helped by lolspork in the middle. Really enjoyed it, thanks guys.

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut build-wise on my Barbarian (now level 38), I take War Cry with the 40% armour bonus rune and Battle Rage with the 30% damage bonus rune all the time, and I'm pretty attached to Ground Stomp and Furious Charge too. I change the basic attacking skill as needed, but I mostly take Ignore Pain in the remaining slot as a panic button. Any suggestions? I've started using a shield, maybe that'll let me drop some of the damage mitigation.

RJames is almost on the money, but not quite. Health beyond ~30k would be better spent elsewhere. Since nobody has reliable % based heals you need to just stack resist, pre-nerf my monk had about 60k HP, now I'm sitting happy at 30k with a tonne of defensive stats, but champions on act 4 can still 1 shot me, which is... interesting.

LNrfl.jpg

Mind you, all that counts for shit when my 50 DH is already sitting at 6k DPS.

The game has been terrible this afternoon for disconnects, errors, rubber banding and general lag spikes. I had to drop out for a while as it was too painful.

In someways it was no more painful than when the game was working.

My word Hell is a harsh mode. Invulnerable, molten, leapers mobs are not fun when you have another set of yellows too. So many tough fights.

Yeah, I'm not so sure Hell so far is the right side of fun. You can just die so quickly. I entered one of the Cathedral levels and right there in front of me was a group of molten fast wallers, and with nowhere to go it was just a battle of respawning attrition. Everything else is a really nice level of challenge, but when blues and golds come on the scene if there's no space and anything else around you're boned. But having said that, a battle with blues or golds in an open area on Hell can be exhilirating.

I very much fancy the idea of hardcore mode, and I'm very certain I could get through Normal without dying as a Wizard, as I have the experience of playing the class, but an unlucky draw of enemy types in Nightmare and definitely in Hell would see so many Game Overs.