This band blew me away at download festival the other week, a great mix between good metallica and good megadeth :D

I'm looking into getting some of their albums, but theres quite a few

Can anyone recommend the good from the crap?

I've got the legacy and the formation of damnation so far

discography

cheers

The new one is a blinder. Except 'The Evil Has Landed'. That song is cringeworthy.

I love that song. To think they were expecting people to take it seriously is brilliant, especially with it's song title. :D

'F.E.A.R' is probably my favourite track off the new album. Not an ideal song title again though.

I love that song. To think they were expecting people to take it seriously is brilliant, especially with it's song title. :ph34r:

'F.E.A.R' is probably my favourite track off the new album. Not an ideal song title again though.

As a serious song it's cringeworthy. As a "comedy" song it's appalling. Or have I missed something? :D

This band blew me away at download festival the other week, a great mix between good metallica and good megadeth :o

I'm looking into getting some of their albums, but theres quite a few

Can anyone recommend the good from the crap?

I've got the legacy and the formation of damnation so far

discography

cheers

The Legacy

The New Order

The Ritual

Low

The Gathering

I've never really got with Souls Of Black nor Practice What You Preach - it's telling that the band only ever plays the title tracks from these albums live (which are awesome it must be said) - but some people like them just as much. YMMV and all that.

The Legacy

The New Order

The Ritual

Low

The Gathering

I've never really got with Souls Of Black nor Practice What You Preach - it's telling that the band only ever plays the title tracks from these albums live (which are awesome it must be said) - but some people like them just as much. YMMV and all that.

Cool

I've got Souls of Black to try later today

The only ones worth ignoring are souls of black, low and the ritual, the rest is gold.

My personal top 3 would be:

The Gathering - Incredible production, stunning songwriting and amazingly catchy tunes

first strike still deadly - a remastering of the best songs from their first few albums. All killer no filler

Practice what you preach - the best thrash album not made by metallica.

Didn't have PWYP before, it's bloody good.

Does anyone have a CD copy of The Legacy? I have what claims to be a LAME V0 VBR but I'm unsure if it's just the age of the recording, it's just not that nice to listen to despite clearly being full of brilliant tracks.

e: Just realised a few of the best were re-recorded for FSSD, which is a slight relief.

The Ritual gets quite a bit of panning in some circles but it's a good album. Seeing it as Testament's reaction to 'The Black Album' is probably the best way to approach it. Return to Serenity is still a top notch tune IMO, and it was Alex Skolnicks last album appearance for a very long time (James Murphy was a damm good pick to follow on Low).

I'll add my wholehearted praise to The Formation of Damnation, which for me is the best metal record of the last year (Although 'The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A' runs it close)

Does anyone have a CD copy of The Legacy? I have what claims to be a LAME V0 VBR but I'm unsure if it's just the age of the recording, it's just not that nice to listen to despite clearly being full of brilliant tracks.

I've tried to download it a few times because the first time I downloaded it, about two thirds of the album seemed to be remastered versions with the rest sounding really tinny and poor. Ever since then I've just come across really poor versions. I might look for the remastered CD online

The Ritual gets quite a bit of panning in some circles but it's a good album. Seeing it as Testament's reaction to 'The Black Album' is probably the best way to approach it. Return to Serenity is still a top notch tune IMO, and it was Alex Skolnicks last album appearance for a very long time (James Murphy was a damm good pick to follow on Low).

I'll add my wholehearted praise to The Formation of Damnation, which for me is the best metal record of the last year (Although 'The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A' runs it close)

The ritual is shit. BUT Electric Crown, Return to Serenity and the ritual are 3 great tracks

Seriously, you only NEED 3 records for full testament love. First strike still deadly is the best of the first 3 albums with awesome production, Practice what you preach is the best of their middle section (souls of black, low, the ritual etc) and the gathering is the best of the last 10 years.

struth the ritual isn't good after a few listens

did every good 80s metal band go shit in the 90s or something?

new favourite song

DISCIPLES OF THE WATCH

"disciples of the watch OBEY...or i'll put you to the crossssssssssssssssssssssssss!"

"disciples of the watch OBEY...or i'll put you to the crossssssssssssssssssssssssss!"

I always heard that in my mind as "...burn you to that cross" which on the face of it makes absolutely no bloody sense at all.

FSSD is probably your best bet considering that, in a contemporary live context, that is how the older material will sound, but if you're still interested in a proper rip of The Legacy, I'll see if I can dig out my copy and sort you out.

As far as I know, none of Testament's early albums have been re-mastered, so any rip you'll get might be a little quiet.

struth the ritual isn't good after a few listens

I had drum lessions with the same bloke who was teaching Tony Platts Son to drum when he was recording this album, I had the lession after his son and met him a few times, he was a really nice bloke who suffered the anoying questions from a 20/21 year old he must have heard loads of times before with good humour and patience (who was bloody good for 8 or 9), I'm not sure he was overly enthused with the material they had to go with, but he liked what they came up with, maybe it was one fo those albums that sounds great at the time but later, once you hear other records sounds really bad.

They played milton keynes a few years ago, someone asked Paul bostaph about his ex-girlfriend and he didn't talk to anyone the rest of the night, nice bloke while deigned us with his presence but I wish someone had kept their gob shut....