rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Silent Runner

True Blood - Alan Balls HBO Vampire show

Wasn’t there a thread for this seasons pilots? I can’t seem to find it…..

A rough version of Alan Balls new HBO show True Blood is out there for download and I thought it was pretty good.

It’s set in Louisiana in a World were vampires have started to ‘come out’ and live in normal society after a Japanese company release an artificial blood product they can live off.

Anna Paquin is a telepathic waitress called Sookie Stackhouse (no, seriously) in a small Louisiana town who meets up with a vampire. Loads happens in the pilot and AP spends most of her time running about in a tight t-shirt.

I enjoyed it and I’ll be following it up when it starts it’s full run.

It's taken ages for this to finally get made as it seems like it was mentioned as his next project years ago. I'm glad to hear it was pretty good.

I quite like it but then again I have read all of the Southern Vampire books that Charlaine Harris has released so far that the show is based on and like those a lot.

Hmm...I was hoping for something more in line with Six Feet Under, but it turns out it's definitely more of a Buffy/Angel kinda thing.

Not that that's bad per se, but it defo feels uber cheesy and a little daft for an HBO show.

IMO anyway.

I quite liked it, nothing amazing but considering that not that much really happened, I was suitably gripped for the nigh-short of 50 minutes. When's the thing really start?

Early September. Same night as the new season of Entourage, I think.

September 7 to be exact. (info from TV.com)

I thought it was alright. Definite potential there. I'd like to see the final cut, though. The editing was a bit off in places and of course those three key scenes were missing. And the vampire sex was terrible <_< Re-shoot please. Not really up to Alan Ball's very, very high standards, but it could always improve.

It was nice to see a few Deadwood castmembers get work, though. :lol:

I didn't like it. I thought it was going to be brilliant after the opening scene, but it went downhill from there. Every scene thereafter was dragged out - it felt like a bad play, with long periods of dull improvised dialogue instead of crisply-written repartee, like the whole thing was thrown together without much thought. The overheard thoughts were particularly irritating.

It felt more like a poor American soap opera than an HBO show. With better editing and a heap of post-production it might be improved, but I don't know . . . nothing really happened in the first episode other than the main characters simpering/brooding at each other.

I'm sure the emo and goth kids will lap it up, but for me it was a massive disappointment, considering the pedigree.

They never cancel mid season do they? It will run for at least 13 eps won't it?

They film way ahead of schedule, so there's no way it'll be cancelled before the end of season 1.

Anyway, I haven't watched the proper pilot yet, is there any differences to the leaked one I saw before the summer?

Just finished watching this and I enjoyed it, I thought it was fucked up when the

police came for Jason, the first thing I thought was Sebastian and the Machine

Well there were quite a few "Which HBO show do I know them from" moments. Nice to see Frank Sobotka from The Wire in there. I thought it was ok but it was a big vague for a first episode. I'm not entirely sure what the premise of the show is apart from the whole couple of Vampires thing.

All that really happened was a vampire appeared in town, token sex bit and then a murder. I suppose the hook is why can she hear voices.

I'm just hoping a more substantial plot arc is introduced fairly soon.

There seems to be a pre air of the second episode kicking about, gonna watch it tomorrow after really enjoying the pilot a while back, has the pilot been reshot or is it the same as the one released ages ago?

aye, the first two episodes are up and a featurette. I'm pretty sure some of the bits in the pilot were reshot as well as it has all of the missing bits.

They changed the vampire sex scene, right? Please tell me they changed the vampire sex scene.

From what I've heard, yes. Haven't actually seen the finished pilot yet but I read a post explaining the differences and one of the things menitoned was cutting the bit in the sex scene where the vamp went bat shit crazy (my words, not his as I can't actually remember them ;))

Having now read the first book I can understand why the pilot was a bit slow - it's basically only the first 40 pages or so. I liked the episode ending though.

Argh, just finished episode two - I thought it was Ok, you've probably got to give it five or six episodes to build a story.

But in typical fashion, I can't wait for the next episode due to the way it ended.

Argh, just finished episode two - I thought it was Ok, you've probably got to give it five or six episodes to build a story.

But in typical fashion, I can't wait for the next episode due to the way it ended.

A bit harsh, the biggest fault so far for me is Anna Paquins occasionally ropey acting. Other than that its rather quite enjoyable. The missus loves it.

I enjoyed it, but I thought it was only Ok - Can't say much more but there's definitely a story building.

Lots of series bore me, as you know, and I give up on them (possibly too soon) - But I actually sat down and watched these episodes with no interruptions, so hopefully I'll stick with this.

I don't mind Anna Paquin although I keep getting distracted by the gap in her front teeth, not fussed on the Rutina Wesley character Tara Thornton at the moment.