Sign in to follow this  
dungavin

I love my new (used) Wii!

:)

Downloaded Internet Channel and toyed around with it for a few hours last night.

Wow it really has been worth it. It doesn't support some video or sound files, and the text can be a little blurry till you zoom in a bit, but this will do what I require perfectly.

I was able to...

* Sort through my hotmail account, which I can't do here at work.

* Watch a few YouTube vids.

* Checkout BBC iPlayer.

* Set up seven bookmarks, will do tesco online tonight.

* Find out how to plug in a Gamecube controller for Paper Mario! Facepalm!

* Play the first hour of Paper Mario which I've never played.

* Check the headlines on TimesOnline.

* Grab another quick Star in Super Mario Galaxy.

2000 Wii points= Points Card £15.00 :)

1000 Wii points= Paper Mario(64) £7.50 :)

500 Wii points = Internet Channel £3.75 :D

Saving myself the hassle/price of acquiring a computer/laptop for some light interenet usage = Priceless. B)

Looking forward to Metroid Prime: Corruption, Okami, No more Heroes etc. in future

^_^ What a beauty of a machine. :(

Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone! Does anyone have any other sites/games to recommend?

Yeah, Excitetruck is great. Wii games don't seem to lose their value like 360 games (you can get some absolute crackers on the 360 for around a tenner, even in Game), but hopefully you should be able to get it cheapish.

Aside from the completely obvious I'd recommend Big Brain Academy. Only £20 new, and great fun with friends or family around as a kind of IQ test quiz show type thing.

I had a quick go on Excite Truck a while back and I thought it was way too floaty to control but I may have just been in a rush and not gave it due attention.

Are there any must have WiiWare games?

I noticed a quiz show one that looked intriguing... or was that on that Wiicade site :) ?

I'd probably need more than one controller anyway I suppose...

Might not be to everyones taste, but I enjoyed Trauma Centre too.

And Zelda: TP if you've never played it OBVIOUSLY

Excitetruck. A lot of fuuuuun.

Spot on. One of the best games on the system by a long way, it's a riot.

If you're into 'over-rated' games, I'd reccommend No More Heroes.

Totally.

Get RE4 if you've never played it. The best version of my favourite game of all time.

Don't overlook Twilight Princess either. It has its haters, and it's not without its flaws, but I thought it was wonderful.

This man speaks speaks the truth, get them both!

Stupid ninja edit

How can a game I found incredibly fresh, fun and funny and played through in two sittings leaving me craving for more be overrated?

If you have your own opinions of a game, post them instead of editing my opinion.

The games I've got:

Super Mario Galaxy - well you've already got this so I'm sure I don't need to tell you that it is just about perfect :)

Metal Slug Anthology - great for cooperative play. Very funny. All the games in one package. Marred by bizarre control schemes.

Geometry Wars: Galaxies - very intense 360 degree shooter. Makes my head hurt if I play for more than 30 minutes.

Wii Sports - novelty wore off pretty quick, which surprised me.

Sega Superstars Tennis - good in places. Some of the mini-games are quite fun. Disappointed with the super moves - the animation when you trigger them is really offputting for your opponent. Couldn't wholeheartedly recommend it.

On the list I've got No More Heroes, Mario Kart and a light gun game. And I'm looking forward to Samba de Amigo and Smash Bros and on the much more distant horizon Tenchu 4, Project O and Mad World (if they ever get released in Europe).

I sometimes check out this site which I found from someone on this forum.

Kororinpa is a lovely little ball-rolling game that makes great use of the Wii remote!

Ghost Squad is also a must, along with a gun adaptor. And Super Mario Galaxy is probably the best game this generation.

I'll 2nd Kororinpa, definitely worth a purchase.

I'm playing Lost Winds at the minute, off Wii Ware. It's a lovely little adventure making good use of the wiimote.

I noticed a quiz show one that looked intriguing... or was that on that Wiicade site :) ?

That'll be TV Show King - it's a WiiWare title.

Personally, I think it's pretty good. Does exactly what it says on the tin*

* If it was actually packaged in a tin that said "no nonsense buzz-lite style quiz game for everyone"

For WiiWare - get Lost Winds, Actionloop Twist, Final Fantasy

if you've often got 4 players round and 4 wiimotes - get TV Show King.

my favourite games - in no order: SMG, Metroid, ExciteTruck, Ghost Squad, RE4, Zelda, Mario Kart

also - if you like a good shooter, Geometery Wars is ace.

I found the iPlayer interface ok but I'll hit up your site and have a nosey anyway, thanks. :)

I tried to playback Friday's episode of 'Have I Got News for You' and the image was very blocky/pixellated (is this because I zoomed in too much?) and playback froze for about 5 seconds every minute or so. I would probably still watch a panel/chat show like that though but certainly not a movie. :)

Unfortunately I completed both Twilight Princess and Resi4 on the Gamecube (both still better than almost all next-gen games) and I'm not one for really playin through games over again.

Flat out don't like on rails light gun games, Resi style or not.

Completed F-Zero X, was curious about Sin & Punishment but simply trusted in Paper Mario instead. ^_^

How many points is Lost Winds?

I'm pretty sure my next purchase will be Metroid Prime:Corruption. Then probably MarioKart or No More Heroes/Red Steel. Any more word on the fabled Wii Light Sabre/Star Wars game?

Excite Truck, Boom Blox, Kororinpa, Geometry Wars, Metal Slug et al will wait on the back burner for now.

I had a quick go on Excite Truck a while back and I thought it was way too floaty to control but I may have just been in a rush and not gave it due attention.

It is quite floaty, you have to really think of it as more of a hovercraft game than a car game, but once you do it's great!

I'd go for one of the major 4 big hitters to start off with, just to show you how good a game can be on the system/new controllers...

Super Mario Galaxy

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Resident Evil 4

Metroid Prime: Corruption

Which one do you want most?

I would also highly recommend buying 2000 Wii points for 15quid and downloading the 'Internet Channel' for fast, convenient internet browsing on yer telly and also download a Virtual Console game to familiarise yourself with the online functionality of the machine. :)

Take your time and you will not be disappointed. :)