rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Tofu

Creative agencies?

Sad times but I just been made redundant so instead of wasting time going all emo can anyone recommend any websites which hire graphic designer/illustrators?. I preferably like to work freelance from home however, a job is a job afterall.

Cheers in advance.

Sorry to hear that :P your work is great though so i'm sure you won't be out of work for that long

Sad times but I just been made redundant so instead of wasting time going all emo can anyone recommend any websites which hire graphic designer/illustrators?. I preferably like to work freelance from home however, a job is a job afterall.

Anywhere in the UK?

Check out designerstalk.com/forums where there's a bunch of useful threads. I know for sure there's a thread listing a bunch of North-West creative agencies, but you'll have to do some searching.

I got made redundant a few years back. It took me 8 months to find a new job... but, I was lazy with looking.

Cheers guys no time to mope around, though I have extra time to redesign some stuff for my website but need to work or else I fall back into being an e-geek.

Cheers mucho appreciated guys, I think I need all the help I can get at the moment.

Cheers mucho appreciated guys, I think I need all the help I can get at the moment.

Pimp your stuff to Stan since he's with Emap...surely Arena could do with your style of illustration ;)

For illustration give folio a call: www.folioart.co.uk

For design I use withus: http://www.withus-recruit.com/

I'd probably be able to give more of a steer if I knew your background, previous clients, areas of work etc.

If you've got advertising design experience and are in London I'd love to see your portfolio. Can't promise anything but I do use some freelance designers at the company I work for. Drop me a PM if you like.

Cheers will do Rossyboy, as for Idiwa thanks for the heads up, however, I think Stan contacted me before regarding this but nothing really came up, it be cool but I hardly know the guy execept his hard on for Macs:).

Cheers will do Rossyboy, as for Idiwa thanks for the heads up, however, I think Stan contacted me before regarding this but nothing really came up, it be cool but I hardly know the guy execept his hard on for Macs:).

Fuck it man, dont be shy, just get stuck in. Everyone else abuses who they know.... just get fired in. Maybe they might not want to use you now, but they might later or someone else will via Emap. Rllmuk to me is all about the :) if you can give another member a foot up then it should be done......

If you get your portfolio up and running then fire me a link asap. I know a lot of people who write for some of the big design blogs (serif etc). So you can get a buncha exposure that way. Hell even if its just a link to stuff on Flickr atm.

Would also like some agencies as all i seem to get is no name agencies posting every day about graphic design jobs and then not even bothering to talk to you or saying you are not experienced enough even though its a job anyone could do.

Would also like some agencies as all i seem to get is no name agencies posting every day about graphic design jobs and then not even bothering to talk to you or saying you are not experienced enough even though its a job anyone could do.

When I was looking for work I just contacted studios directly, i found agencies to be fucking useless most of the time and full of bullshit.

When I was looking for work I just contacted studios directly, i found agencies to be fucking useless most of the time and full of bullshit.

Not the case in London, they're genuinely good at what they do, no mater how bitter I am about them taking such a massive chunk of my potential salary. The agencies will all have really decent contacts with HR and creative directors. Unless you've got a really good repuation yourself or you happen to hit an agency at the right time, at least you can guarantee your CV getting past the receptionist.

I've found studios to be just the same, having at one time wasted £20 on cds, envelopes, stamps etc to not hear a sodding thing back from anyone i sent my portfolio too and follow up calls often being ignored/getting stuck at the secretary.

My main problem with agencies is they seem to decide if im good enough or not. I've even put it to the test by applying for the most junior of positions that offer £10k and still agencies say they are looking for someone with more experience.

I know my CV and portfolio are not the problem and my experience definatly isn't either having had interviews for some good positions and companies.

Thanks for the input and I agree with Sack and Idiwa on agencies and studios, however, with so many applications and despite thinking you're shit hot there's loads of others who are competing for the same job and I guess its easy pickings.

Thanks for the input and I agree with Sack and Idiwa on agencies and studios, however, with so many applications and despite thinking you're shit hot there's loads of others who are competing for the same job and I guess its easy pickings.

That's all very true. My main gripe is the recruitment agencies. For example today i had one agency say i was unsuitable for many graphic design roles because my skills were 3D design (Is there even such a thing?) yet i don't mention 3D design in my CV anywhere...

Which is what annoys me, they can't even be bothered to read my CV even though the first thing they see is what i am skilled in and then job titles. My CV is laid out in an easy to read way so i can only put it down to pure lazyness of the recruiters. Especially when they call me up for c++ roles and i've never done any programming in my life.

That's all very true. My main gripe is the recruitment agencies. For example today i had one agency say i was unsuitable for many graphic design roles because my skills were 3D design (Is there even such a thing?) yet i don't mention 3D design in my CV anywhere...

Which is what annoys me, they can't even be bothered to read my CV even though the first thing they see is what i am skilled in and then job titles. My CV is laid out in an easy to read way so i can only put it down to pure lazyness of the recruiters. Especially when they call me up for c++ roles and i've never done any programming in my life.

Yeah its like agencies that ask for 3D Studio Maximum.....oh ffs!!