IGNORED

June 08 to Feb 09 Hip Hop Recommendations

Liquid Myth

Lil Wayne video posted FIYAHMAN

If that's what hip hop is about these days it's become an even bigger joke than ever. I remember when lill rappers were properly lill.

2muchtrouble.jpg

Bushwick pic too big to post

So in 2008 The only hip hop I listened to was the aforementioned Roots LP which had couple of dope tracks but wasn't a patch on Game Theory and the Ill Bill album which disappointed the shit out of me.

I think I'm too old for it these days anyway.

I guess your particular favourite hip-hop stuff pretty much verges on the straight juvenile most of the time. A sensation of feeling "grown out of it" is probably stronger when you listen to Ill Bill. Like... there's mature hip-hop out there, but it verges on the smoother side of things, which was never the Boozy way. I dunno, man... check the Q-Tip album. It's brilliant.

The rapping's immense. Look past the chorus. Pusha spins heads with his rhymes there. The beat's immense! Turn it up loud on a big system. It's a beat of doom.

I listened to it on my amazing car stereo and it sounds good. The beat is strong, the bass is heavy. But it falls short of Lil Wayne levels of beat and bass. 7/10.

The rapping's immense. Look past the chorus. Pusha spins heads with his rhymes there. The beat's immense! Turn it up loud on a big system. It's a beat of doom.

You really think so?

I'm listening to it on some pretty good Sennheiser studio headphones and it's not a beat of doom. It's a beat of mud. The bass might be "heavy" but it just drowns the synth. I admit I was harsh calling the rapping fucking gash though. It's just mediocre. Does nothing for me at all.

The beat for that "Zen" track is much better. Still not feeling the rapping though.

For me, the 'Trill' instrumental is actually more about the synth than the bass, so I'd maybe listen to it with the levels adjusted so that the bass ain't gonna distort or drown the rest. I'm jealous of being able to hear it on some good Sennheiser phones. It's a type of thing I'd love to pick up soon.

Another thing I like about the beat are the actual drums, percussion and rhythm itself. I love it when The Neptunes get really intricate with all the little rhythmic pops, clicks, kicks and, like, fizzing and whooshing sounds that compliment each other. I love concentrating on every little sound. Really gets my head bopping. 'Trill' is one of those tracks for me, majorly. I wish The Neptunes would do more menacing/aggressive stuff like that.

As for the rhymes on the track, it's all about Pusha when he hits out with this bit:

Flow chameleon, worth bout a million

Sell Bolivian, Feds in oblivion

Bitch Brazilian, purse reptillian

Took her from far off island like Gilligan

It just encapsulates that ridiculous coke dealer swagger thing that they push so nice. And it's funny. Pusha's actually a really fucking witty dude. Punchlines for days.

That's funny, I got the album on just now!

A classic alternative De La Soul album for sure. The title track's incredible, indeed. I'd say it wasn't typical of the Dilla sound, actually. It reminds me more of a Pete Rock beat. All the bassy filtering and crisp horns and dirty drums. That's total Pete Rock.

I've been listening to the Special Herbs boxset all day.

61YWFDM6C2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

After managing to go through my media library changing every single track name to the correct ones (they're listed wrong on the artwork), I found myself drawn mainly to all the KMD instrumentals. In particular, the instrument to my favourite KMD track:

KMD - What A Niggy Know?

What I assume is probably the sample is so recognisable, but I have no idea where it is from. Any ideas?

A classic alternative De La Soul album for sure. The title track's incredible, indeed. I'd say it wasn't typical of the Dilla sound, actually. It reminds me more of a Pete Rock beat. All the bassy filtering and crisp horns and dirty drums. That's total Pete Rock.

The horns are the only Pete Rock style bit, the rest makes me think of Labcabincalifornia.

The horns are the only Pete Rock style bit, the rest makes me think of Labcabincalifornia.

The warbled-out, sub-bassy filter on the bassline during verses is really latter-day Pete Rock to me. PR is only really renowned for horns in his earlier stuff. Certainly this album:

10032.9013.jpg

... features that nice, warm compression/filtering used by Dilla on the De La song. Check it out if you haven't already. If you like Stakes Is High, you'll probs like the production here.

The warbled-out, sub-bassy filter on the bassline during verses is really latter-day Pete Rock to me. PR is only really renowned for horns in his earlier stuff. Certainly this album:

10032.9013.jpg

... features that nice, warm compression/filtering used by Dilla on the De La song. Check it out if you haven't already. If you like Stakes Is High, you'll probs like the production here.

I've spent all day listening to it already, I don't need more of it!

The above was a lie, of course I do.