rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Liquid Myth

June 08 to Feb 09 Hip Hop Recommendations

killerbee_mario.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get your heads together. Recommend quality stuff per normal, more STR8 GEMS and quality albums.

Looking at the incredibly vague 'Coming Soon' list on HMV, there's going to be instrumental versions of Supreme Clientele (Ghostface Killah) and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Raekwon) out shortly, if you like that kind of thing. I've still never listened to Cuban Linx though.

Cal will be in here to beat me down with some crazy long post about how Cuban Linx is like a musical version of John Woos "The Killer" and lets face it, no one can describe shit like Cal can, however Liquid Swords is the better album. So long as you have thats, everythings gonna be alright :-)

Liquid Swords is better just for the fact there's not really any annoying overlong skits on it unlike Cuban Linx which has loads.

The skits on Cuban Linx are awesome! Some of the only skits I've ever liked! Rae and Ghost chattin pure bollocks, what more could you want?!

The skits on Cuban Linx are awesome! Some of the only skits I've ever liked! Rae and Ghost chattin pure bollocks, what more could you want?!

Less crappy chat and more good music, I hate all skits to be honest and all my fav Hip Hop albums have none or very few.

Less crappy chat and more good music, I hate all skits to be honest and all my fav Hip Hop albums have none or very few.

Me too, can't stand the fucking things. But the one's on Cuban Linx just tie in with the feel of the album, it wouldn't be the same without them.

Das, I couldnt agree more. The skits on Cuban Linx are amazing. Those two together are pure genius. I think my love for Swords comes from when I went travelling in 96, I was 16 years old and spent about 3 months in the south of France and the only 3 albums I took on my walkman where Liquid Swords, The Diary by Scarface and Nine Livez by Nine. I listened to them on rotation for weeks on end. I know every word of every song and love them all. Linx is still an amazing album. :-)

So who the fuck hasn't bought J-Live yet? It's out and it's fucking good.

Also, here's a demo of the Madlib / Badu track Real Thing (my favourite on the album next to Telephone and the other Madlib shit)

BOOM

I think the bigger question is whether or not you're still sleeping on The Best Part.

Yup, I reckon. Nothing of his can possibly ever beat that album.

That's enough shit-hop. Spine have got the right idea with today's Friday Throwback. This one's for Das. Some real underground backpack isht, with cuts and all:

Rhymes Like A Scientist - Third Sight

The second "movement" in this track is great.

I have it on vinyl bludkin, me and the man like esar are big Third Sight fans!

D-Styles on the cut, I should mention.

June is Atmosphere live month. That's the only hip hop related event I'm looking forward to in the near future, but damn it's gonna be a good one.

I do have a question that you guys might be able to help with - anyone got anything by this English guy Lowkey? I saw him supporting Saul Williams the other week, was pretty surprised to find a UK rap artist that I appreciated. I can't find anywhere online to buy his stuff, let alone tracks to try out (other than myspace).

I do have a question that you guys might be able to help with - anyone got anything by this English guy Lowkey?

Hmm, I'm not a fan personally. His early stuff was ok, sounded hungry and had quite a raw style. He's improved his flow but he's decided to take the "political route". I'm bored of emcee's rapping about Tony Blair etc to be honest, but if you like that sort of thing then...

He doesn't have any "proper" albums, just mixtapes and stuff. Here you go: http://www.suspect-packages.com/artists/g-l/LOWKEY.php

dillaghostdoom.jpg

In late 2005 Ghostface Killa and MF DOOM were both recording over tracks from J Dilla's instrumental opus, Donuts, which saw release the following February. Some of these were released on Ghostface's Fishscale in 2006, while others, including a Dilla-Doom project, were postponed indefinitely after J Dilla's passing. Two of these tracks, “Sniperlite” and “Murder Goons,” will be released digitally, exclusively through Stones Throw's webstore, due to launch in late June.

These tracks should be worth keeping an eye out on. How sweet would a Dilla/Doom project have been?

Edit: Am I the only one liking Nas' new single? Probably.

Nas - Hero

It's not NY State of Mind or anything clearly but as a modern mainstream hiphop track it's pretty decent, despite the chorus being a bit naff. Crazy arpeggiation on the production!

These tracks should be worth keeping an eye out on. How sweet would a Dilla/Doom project have been?

That 'Murder Goons' track was floating around a few places around the same time that Fishscale came out. I think it featured on a Kayslay mixtape. Ghostface ripping up the 'Geek Down' beat from Donuts. Certified burner. I've not heard the Doom thing, though (presumably this 'Sniperlite' track mentioned in the blurb). I wonder what Donut he flipped?

That 'Murder Goons' track was floating around a few places around the same time that Fishscale came out. I think it featured on a Kayslay mixtape. Ghostface ripping up the 'Geek Down' beat from Donuts. Certified burner. I've not heard the Doom thing, though (presumably this 'Sniperlite' track mentioned in the blurb). I wonder what Donut he flipped?

I've never heard that Murder Goons track before, great stuff.

Having a quick relisten to Donuts, there's a couple of track that seem practically designed for Doom's flow - Mash, Stepson of the Clapper, Gobstopper. What was the last word on the Ghostface/Doom project? That and MF Doom himself have gone very quiet. Madvillian 2 was in the works too last I heard, that's gone completely under the radar also. He did spread himself very thin over 2005-2006, but y'know, I'd like to know that he's alive or something.