Sushi, then.

Chase

Sushi is actually one of the few Japanese foods which is ok to eat with your fingers. I always use chopsticks though I must admit.

And Asura, you said Italian restaurants are uncommon in Japan;are you kidding?? They're everywhere (in the big cities)! I live in Osaka, which admittedly is the gourmet capital of the country, but there are plenty of foreign food restaurants, although often with a Japanese twist.

Sushi is actually one of the few Japanese foods which is ok to eat with your fingers. I always use chopsticks though I must admit.

And Asura, you said Italian restaurants are uncommon in Japan;are you kidding?? They're everywhere (in the big cities)! I live in Osaka, which admittedly is the gourmet capital of the country, but there are plenty of foreign food restaurants, although often with a Japanese twist.

how do you stop the fish falling off the rice when you dip the fish in the soysauce?

Yo Sushi is crap - do your senses a favour and go eat @ Zuma. Went there for lunch last Friday with the missus and the experience and food is worth every penny.

Did you try the beef? Tell me you tried the beef, I nearly wept it was so good.

Yo Sushi is, as you say, toss.

And Asura, you said Italian restaurants are uncommon in Japan;are you kidding??
They're everywhere (in the big cities)! I live in Osaka...

I'm torn... You're not right, and you're not wrong either. Italian restaurants aren't common outside of the big cities; neither is mexican or tex mex. Given, in Tokyo, you can hardly walk down a street near the train stations before running into a TGI Friday's, or a Hard Rock Cafe, or an Outback Steakhouse, but that isn't how it is in other places.

I live in a smaller city northwest of Tokyo and whilst there is a single, quite good italian in my city, it is the only one.

And we have no pizza hut (not that it really qualifies as italian, but we don't have one in any case).

how do you stop the fish falling off the rice when you dip the fish in the soysauce?

Practice.

Of course, Yo Sushi! is about the only thing some of us can get, sushi wise like.

I normally buy trays from M&S, Tesco, Waitrose... Yesterday was actually my first experience of Yo Sushi! Some of us live outside major cities and have to rely on supermarkets :(

I love Sushi. As someone said already its a simple, refreshing food that I take the time to appreciate and enjoy. Rather like a salad but heftier - I can't eat a lot of salads anyway and its a nice alternative. A special treat.

About 4 years ago I went to Tokyo and my brother took me to what was apparently a really good sushi place. I quite liked it. My brother was MASSIVELY offended, like I'd raped his gf or something. It's just raw fish, you div. I've had it since in a few places in London, and again quite liked it.

Went back to Tokyo a few weeks ago and wanted really good sushi, so went to a 3 Michelin star sushi restaurant (http://www.andyhayler.com/show_restaurant.asp?id=477) and it was bloody great. Everything was perfect, variety, quality, setting, everything. Mizutani himself seemed a little suspicious of us as we were foreign, but as we got talking to a couple of salary men and their wives (they bought me sake!) he warmed up to us. He still looked as he gave me the Bill though, to see if I could actually pay.

Anyway, odd conclusion is that I'm probably not all that into Sushi. It took arguably the best sushi place in the world for me to really love it, so I'm wondering what will happen when I go to an alright place next. Then again, i did have saba (my favourite) in an average place and really liked it. Might go to Nobu soon. Where else in London is good for sushi?

*Massive great double penetration*

Seriously, Sushi Hiro. Crap decor, all the way out in ealing, but amazingly good, reasonably priced sushi

..I'll keep bleating on about this place until someone gets food poisoning there :wub:

A question about buying fresh fish - how fresh does it need to be? a few hours? a few days?

And Ive heard that you need to buy fish that doesnt smell fishy, what will happen if you use less then fresh fish...no worse then tummy upsets right?

A question about buying fresh fish - how fresh does it need to be? a few hours? a few days?

And Ive heard that you need to buy fish that doesnt smell fishy, what will happen if you use less then fresh fish...no worse then tummy upsets right?

Just in general (don't know much about sushi, but growing up in a fishing town has taught me some things about fish): the fresher the better. A few minutes is what you want, really, but failing that (and that's obviously only available right on the coast), a few hours is good. A few days is pushing it though, to count as 'fresh', in my mind.

Buying fish in the UK, the main bit of advice I'd give is to go to a fishmonger, rather than a supermarket, as supermarket fish (even the stuff at the 'fishmonger' counter) is second-rate in general. If you have to buy from a supermarket, and you're buying a whole fish, check the eyes are still bright and clear. If they're dull or (God forbid) cloudy, stay well clear.

Never use 'less than fresh' fish, because the tummy upsets you're speaking of will likely end up being actual food poisoning - you'll get a massive fever, crippling pains and you'll be wracked with vomiting and diarrhea for a good few days.

A good place to eat some unconventional sushi is Makiyaki - just down the road from South Wimbledon tube. Mmmm want some now :P

I live in South Wimbledon! What do you mean by 'unconventional sushi'?

I have never had Sushi :o

I keep nearly buying some from Tescos !! Is this a good place to sample it ? I like some fish but not everything but i do like salmon and tuna etc !

Absolutely not. Stay away from supermarket sushi! It'll be rubbery and taste of chemicals, probably cut too thickly. The rice will be too sticky and the soy sauce and wasabi will be dreadful quality.

I'm going to Zuma for lunch tomorrow. \0/ I'm quite excited.

Any recommendations? Anyone done the tasting menu, is it worth it? I read it's almost £100.

Oh man. Special occasion? I'm thinking of going there for my birthday. Take a camera :)

A good place to eat some unconventional sushi is Makiyaki - just down the road from South Wimbledon tube. Mmmm want some now :)

Makiyaki as in the one on Richmond Road in Kingston?

I wanna try that out. Satori in Kingston was disappointing, expensive and the taisho was from Mainland China, as were all the staff. I thought that only happened in America, guess I was wrong. At least they had Kirin beer there.

I've always wanted to try the sushi out in Misato in London. I know their service is crap but honestly, don't really care as long as I get my food which is cheap and there's lots of it (as opposed to Satori). Anyone been there for sushi before?

I wanna try that out. Satori in Kingston was disappointing, expensive and the taisho was from Mainland China, as were all the staff. I thought that only happened in America, guess I was wrong. At least they had Kirin beer there.

I enjoyed it there, I've only ever been out for sushi once though, always made it or used to get some from a guy at Richmond Farmer's Market.

Oh man. Special occasion? I'm thinking of going there for my birthday. Take a camera :)

Yeah, spose. A rare example of the GF (fiancée, actually now I think about it) and I having the same day off. I'd just woken up and she asked what we were going to do and before I knew it "I'll take you to Zuma, then we'll go to the Summer Exhibition at the RA" came out of my mouth. So now I'm committed, but excited. She's Thai, they take photos of everything they eat so I'm sure tomorrow will be no exception!

Wow, the Wagyu was good. Proper melt in the mouth stuff. (£70 for a medium sized steak though?! And that was the cheapest cut, rib-eye). Also went for Black Cod, Nigiri selection, grilled asparagus and grilled courgettes. It was a great meal but not quite as photogenic as some of the Zuma dishes posted earlier in this thread, so didn't take many pics. Perhaps should have ordered more Sushi-style dishes. Girlfriend loved it.

Wow, the Wagyu was good. Proper melt in the mouth stuff. (£70 for a medium sized steak though?! And that was the cheapest cut, rib-eye). Also went for Black Cod, Nigiri selection, grilled asparagus and grilled courgettes. It was a great meal but not quite as photogenic as some of the Zuma dishes posted earlier in this thread, so didn't take many pics. Perhaps should have ordered more Sushi-style dishes. Girlfriend loved it.

Ah, I didn't see this until now. Wow, it sounds pretty bloody good. Seventy quid for a steak though...jeez. How much did the bill come to in the end?

I love Sushi. Normally if I'm in London for a meeting or something I get lunch at the Wasabi take away just outside Embankment tube station... But the other day I met up with a friend as we decided to eat at the Feng Sushi restaurant just opp Royal Fest hall. Was an amazing meal, not too expensive either, which was a pleasant surprise at the end of the night... Where else is good in London for Sushi? I'm up there with family on monday (although I know my daughter's going to be grossed out at the idea of eating in a Sushi restaurant :unsure: )

How long does sushi keep? I made some one Saturday night (salmon nigiri, cucumber maki rolls) but scoffed it all in one go as I was worried it would give me food poisoning the next day.