rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Beverly Hills Cop 4 - Murphy to Return - Netflix Secure Rights

Just back from seeing the original (on a double bill with Planes, Trains). It holds up incredibly well. A really well made, perfectly paced action comedy. Murphy was absolutely at the top of his game and was only perhaps better in Trading Places. Fantastically entertaining.

post-409-0-24359500-1410635173_thumb.jpg

:quote:

But yeah, Beverly Hills Cop is a close third. I miss '80s Eddie :(

• Upvote 2

I actually watched 48hrs last night, after taking the fancy. It's still brilliant.

The bridge between it and the films today that still try and copy it, is vast.

It takes its time to set up the story and characters, summit that the kids today seem to find boring as fuck.

What surprises me is how young Murphy was when he did the first film, and how he showed a maturity of character beyond his years. It was a great performance.

I've never seen 48 Hours. I should watch it, shouldn't I?

Yes. Yes you should.

Annoyingly the blu-ray isn't great (it's a step up from the DVD for sure, but it's clearly a cheap remaster), but it doesn't make the film any less enjoyable; bear in mind this was a film so good it kickstarted the entire buddy cop genre!

Just reading the Wiki entry for BHC 3 and it sounds a real mess. Some of the ideas for it (Sean Connery or John Cleese as Scotland Yard detectives! Foley as a celebrity cop!) sound awful, though given how it turned out in the end, maybe they should have taken the punt on one of them.

I remember seeing it at the cinema and just not getting it - it didn't have any of the DNA of the previous films and at the time I didn't know why Bogomil and Taggart weren't around. It wasn't funny, it lacked action and I distinctly recall hating the female lead in it too. Wasn't there some real cheese at the end with her?

Still, I do fancy watching the first and second film again, so I'll add those to the queue along with 48 Hours.

The third is awful, all I really remember is seeing it in my local cinema and it was fuck this, fuck that every few sentences. Even at the young age I was then, it wasn't funny, it was just shit.

One, two and 48hours are immense though.

After the success of Murphy's Dolemite is my Name, Netflix have secured the rights to the Beverly Hills Cop series, and plan to make the fourth installment. 

I reckon this could finally happen.

Edit: Bloody hell, I started this thread in 2008.

• Upvote 2

I haven't watched it all the way through in a long time, but I don't remember there being much clarity around why exactly he had a Ferrari, or on any other aspects of the plot come to think of it.

15 hours ago, K said:

Rewatching the original Beverly Hills Cop now is quite interesting, because not only is it still really good, but it's surprisingly progressive in some ways. Like, I was pleasantly surprised at how generous is the film (and Eddie Murphy) is to Jenny Summers - in most of her scenes with Axel, she's given loads of funny lines, and is given a surprisingly amount of agency for the female love interest in an eighties action comedy. Generally, the female lead is there to set up the hero with one-liners, and to generally make him look good. It's genuinely rare that the hero of the film is happy to share the attention and let his female co-star get some decent lines, and it's particularly rare in Eddie Murphy films. There are some bits that make you wince - the gay stereotypes are a bit much, and the funny foreigner character is pretty bad - but film as a whole is surprisingly light-footed and fun.

I listened to a Podcast a few months back (https://pca.st/1wvf1xkd) and one of the topics that came up was whether Axel Foley was in fact gay. It certainly makes you think!

12 minutes ago, elyuw said:

I listened to a Podcast a few months back (https://pca.st/1wvf1xkd) and one of the topics that came up was whether Axel Foley was in fact gay. It certainly makes you think!

To be honest, I did wonder whether the agency and the lack of objectification of Jenny was because the filmmakers might have been uncomfortable about having a mixed-race romance in the film - I can’t think of many films from that era that had white-black couples where that wasn’t the whole focus of the film. So the progressive aspects might have been an unintended consequence of that – if the character can’t be the love interest, we may as well make her interesting.

The idea that Axel is gay is an interesting one, I’ll give that podcast a listen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, K said:

I haven't watched it all the way through in a long time, but I don't remember there being much clarity around why exactly he had a Ferrari, or on any other aspects of the plot come to think of it.

There was some sort of counterfeit credit card sting going on, and he was the megarich buyer. Something along those lines.

5 hours ago, K said:

To be honest, I did wonder whether the agency and the lack of objectification of Jenny was because the filmmakers might have been uncomfortable about having a mixed-race romance in the film - I can’t think of many films from that era that had white-black couples where that wasn’t the whole focus of the film. So the progressive aspects might have been an unintended consequence of that – if the character can’t be the love interest, we may as well make her interesting.

The idea that Axel is gay is an interesting one, I’ll give that podcast a listen.

I think it's unfortunately the case that Jenny was reworked to not be the love interest. I've read that as confirmed but I can't remember the source :/  ... so I could be talking shit. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AK Bell said:

I think it's unfortunately the case that Jenny was reworked to not be the love interest. I've read that as confirmed but I can't remember the source :/  ... so I could be talking shit. 

Yeah, Jenny Summers was the love interest when the film was intended as a Sylvester Stallone straight action movie.

• Upvote 1

On 14/11/2019 at 20:12, K said:

The characters are angry and unpleasant, the women are either ice queens or slags, and it's made with a kind of sledgehammer impatience, like the whole thing's being shouted at you by some dude in a double-breasted Armani suit who keeps sniffing and rubbing his nose

That would be Don Simpson then.

I've heard rumours that it was the only VHS tape Michael Bay ever owned.

It was probably the only creative work of any kind he’s ever seen.