IGNORED

Fable: The Lost Chapters

davejm

No search = new thread, sorry.

So what's the deal with this? I often see it mentioned during discussions about over-hyped games that turned out shit, and in threads about Peter Molyneux where it's mentioned that a whole load of planned features were dropped during development.

Is it actually shit? Or was it an OK game that suffered from the hyperbole?

I've just started with the PC version.

Not having anywhere to set up the PC means that I've given up somewhat on PC gaming, as prolonged use of the keyboard and mouse isn't comfortable when it's plugged into my TV or on my bedside table.

So yeah, I'm using a 360 pad with xPadder, which feels great in the couple of mins I spent testing the setup. It means I can play in comfort from bed, or downstairs on the sofa in 1920x1080 on the LCD.

I'm actually looking forward to playing it properly.

Sort of, yeah. The original had some quest arcs that never actually finished, which have been fixed in Lost Chapters. Also they added stuff like the ability to donate books to the school in the first town, which is more amusing than it sounds.

Peter Molyneux hyped the original Fable with promises of huge moral decisions affecting how the game played and your character developed. In the end it didn't quite deliver - hence the hate. Now with Fable 2 imminent, the pot has been stirred and the scum has risen to the surface again.

I've not played it, but I will be looking out for Lost Chapters - I always thought it was an expansion pack, not a standalone game.

I assume TLC was the game they wanted to release originally - some of the new assets are so obviously making use empty space in the original. Now of course you would simply add the new content via DLC.

I found both games hugely enjoyable - I love the whole design and the Britishness of the accents, hell I even like the pub games which I normally run a mile from. The problem was that PM came up with some pretty unjustified hype and was crucified in some quarters for so doing.

Hopefully he has now learnt the lesson and Fable 2 will be judged on its own merits.

Peter Molyneux hyped the original Fable with promises of huge moral decisions affecting how the game played and your character developed. In the end it didn't quite deliver - hence the hate.

He didnt help himself when he was talking about things like the trees growing real time in the game. The guys an idiot.

• 1 month later...

Bah, this is annoying. The game is crashing back to desktop after the first section. I can't see what the problem is, as it's not as if I'm running an old machine that can't cope with it.

I'd troubleshoot, but due to the save system I have to start from stratch each time I boot up. I've done it 4 times now and it's tiresome. Balls.

Managed to get past the first section, although I'd chosen to develop a 'Will' based character, but the game started crashing if I spammed the lightning button. *sigh* So I changed to a 'warrior' type class, and I've progressed a little.

The music's nice, but I'm not sure if i'm enjoying it. Everything seems a little 'over the top'. I realise they've included a system where your actions alter your moral alignment, but I don't need this rammed down my throat after every single action I undertake. I don't need a round of applause and a comment like "I'll be sure to tell everyone in town how great you are!" after completing a quest. It's as if the devs were so proud of the fact you could male 'moral decisions' that they got carried away.

The voice acting just doesn't sit right either (although I realise some people will love it, it's subjective) and it's making me cringe.

Also, what's with the fucking experience orbs? An experience stat (similar to armour ratings, hit points etc) in RPGs is just an indicator so that you have some kind of idea (outside of the game world) how your character is developing. Why the hell do I need to collect these orbs in order to recieve this bonus? It's not a platform game. Just give me the experience points as I progress. It breaks the immersion somewhat, it's just not needed.

Not sure about the 'quest card' system, either. It all feels a bit contrived.

I played the first section last night... it felt like 'Emmerdale RPG' in that first village.

Not sure if I like the style of the voice acting at all to be honest, but it's early days.

I thought I was the only one that couldn't get on with the voice acting - I have no idea how good the game is really because after an hour I had to give up. The voice acting is awful and the one thing putting me off Fable 2. Hopefully the voice acting won't be as bad.

I thought I was the only one that couldn't get on with the voice acting - I have no idea how good the game is really because after an hour I had to give up. The voice acting is awful and the one thing putting me off Fable 2. Hopefully the voice acting won't be as bad.

I kinda liked it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried to get into it several times but the tutorial just never seems to end. And the crappy voice actors remind of the horrendous story tapes I had as a child which puts a bit of a downer on everything.

I've always liked the overall direction though. Maybe Fable 2 will be tolerable.

• 4 years later...

After a rather creepy experience of trawling through my posting history, I've finally dug up this thread. So I am going to post the news about Fable Anniversary here too. It has been confirmed for the 360 this fall and will feature

New UI

New engine -ur3

New save system

Upgraded graphics and animation

Achievements, naturally.

Smartglass applications - hinted to be pub games which would be cool.

I will be getting this for sure, I love it.