IGNORED

Retro Demos

Droo

There are plenty that come to my mind when I think of retro demo's - but something I did years ago which I rarely find myself doing now (probably because I have a lot more desposable income) was LUST over demos. Tekken 2's demo on Demo One with the PS1. Sega Rally Demo which featured on a Saturn Mag (someone brought this up in the SR thread) are two very notable demos, however for me; I have some real odd faves:

Quarentine on the PC - a one disk PCZONE cover demo, played it over and over and couldnt work out how they got so much content into the demo.

C&C 1 Demo: PS1 (or saturn, not 100%). One level, over and over and over...

I'm sure more will come to mind! What about you guys?

Probably a bit too retro for this thread, but the later covermounted demos on Commodore Format and Commodore Force (formerly Zzap!) were incredible; things like Mayhem in Monsterland & Lemmings left me stunned at the fact that developers were still getting amazing results from the breadbin after so many years...

Change this thread to "favourite covertapes/coverdiscs" becaaaaaaaaaaause there's more scope aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they gave away full games. I remember buying....Your Sinclair? Sinclair User? I forget which but I'm pretty sure it had Batman: The Movie demo on one side (utter fucking amaze) and Mailstrom (or was it Mailstorm? Nope it was Mailstrom) FREE!! It was aces, even though I never figured out what the fuck you were supposed to do.

Aha! Sinclair User.

post-3754-1211675370_thumb.jpg

Fucking hell...that brings back memories.

There was a Saturn Magazine demo disc with the first level of Keio Flying Squadron 2 on it and even though the game is utter bobbins it had the wicky wicky wah intro on it. Aces.

What annoyed by when my parents replaced the Speccy with the Amiga was not having the excitement of playing through the games on Crash covertapes. By then (1989) it was rarely demos and mostly games; former commercial games or reader-made efforts. For less than a budget game you got a magazine with a random collection of stuff that could take you be surprise, some bad, some great, but always stuff you most likely wouldn't have tried otherwise. Now I've thrilled by the Amiga and its colour graphics and faster load times, but the disks given away on magazines were a letdown, just a playable demo, or two if you were lucky. Then Amiga Power debuted not too long after with its gimmick being a former full-price game on the coverdisk every month, but after two issues and two crap games that ended. Oh well.

even though there's a seperate thread... the MSR demo with the official Dreamcast magazine.

It was the first issue I bought after the purchase of my DC... the first game I got for that was THPS

which brings me neatly onto the THPS demo on the PSone. which I spent ages on.

Oh, and the Lambourgini demo with the OXBM, as with most driving demos you just turn the car around and drive round the track backwards to make it last FOREVER!

The demo of Lemmings on an Amiga Format coverdisk, December 1990 I think, got lots of play from my parents and relatives who visited my family that year. Easily the most-played demo I remember, as it appealed to everyone. Even for people like me who was a gamesplaying kid, it was something new enough concept-wise to be impressive. Unfortunately though, by the time we bought the full game on release, all of us had Lemmings fatigue so that didn't get much play at all...

I always loved the Segaflash Saturn demos as a whole. They weren't just demo discs, they felt like a whole experience, a programme almost thanks to the presentation. The UK version of Demo 1 is another I hold in high regard.

Agreed.

Added to this is my personal favourite;

Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 1

My best demos are many, but to pick a few...

The PC Gamer demo for BattleZone was great - the first-person RTS/FPS hybrid game. Not just a terrific game, but the demo came with the first three missions and the training mode; there was about an hour of gameplay there.

The PC demo of C&C also came with 3 maps I think, and they were great. The demo could last literally hours if you pissed about with all the different units.

The Sega Saturn demo of Virtual On is one of my best gaming memories; my friend and I cycled to the newsie's in the snow to get it - I was so excited about getting it for Christmas that year. It was just the first level, single player, which you could play as any fighter - but I must have played it a thousand times.

One demo my friends and I played to death was the Zool demo that came with (I think!) The One magazine.

It was lovely - smooth scrolling and fantastic music. The full price game on the other hand had different (and not as good!) music, and the scrolling was really jerky at times.

God knows what went wrong there. We played the demo to death, but were so disappointed with the full game.

Another demo my mates and I played for ages was the level 2 demo of The Untouchables that came with Sinclair User. We played that for hours, and thankfully the full game didn't disappoint. The only thing we were confused with was that the music in the demo was a lot faster (and catchier) than the version that appeared in the full game.

My best demos are many, but to pick a few...

The PC Gamer demo for BattleZone was great - the first-person RTS/FPS hybrid game. Not just a terrific game, but the demo came with the first three missions and the training mode; there was about an hour of gameplay there.

YES i LOVED that game demo. I think i was like 8 or 9. Fuck im young

I thought this would be all about the old Amiga/ST tech demo public domain scene, but clearly not, shame.

If we're talking game demos, then I'd agree with the earlier choice of Lemmings; it convinced me to cough up £24.99 (or was it £29.99?) at a time when piracy was rampant. That bloody demo made me need the game so much I had to buy it before my school chums had sorted out dodgy copies.

Hunter was another good one; it just cut-off before you could reach the copter, or did it?

As for tech demo stuff, I always liked an old Amiga 500 job where the silhouette chappy on the sign of a gents' door came alive and started dancing to 'Jack Your Body'. Granted, it was a bit of a rip-off from an old Heineken advert and a scene from Superman III, but at the time it seemed like good fun.

I can't remember what magazine it was, but there was a Sensible Soccer demo for the Amiga that limited your ,match to one goal, but a friend and I played it literally over and over constantly until the full game was released and we bought it. I didn't even like football games, but Sensi at the time was so different and fun to play.

I remember the Home Run Derby of World Series Baseball getting caned on our Saturn was back in the day. My sister was better than all of us at that, grrr!

Another Notable one would include whichever Dreamcast coverdisc included Sega Swirl on it. Only notable in that it turned my PC loving friend to the wonder of consoles.

Rebel Star II on the spectrum, I remember it being double hard and I would always die before I got to the alien eggs.

There was also an Amiga cover disc for a game called Valhalla; I can only remember that it had great graphics for the time and some really funny sound effects.

Compared to the home computer days most CD based demo’s have left me cold and x-box live / Playstation shop (or what ever it’s called) isn’t much better. The only recent demo I’ve played for any amount of time was the Halo 3 beta, which wasn’t really a demo at all.

My first console was the n64 and there were no demo's for that due to the prohibitive cost of producing the cartridge :wub:

I did really like the ps1 demo's though, especially one that had a playable demo of overboard on it, that game was ace!

I'm sure we've discussed this elsewhere but I love the overboard demo too. I keep harping on about not being able to find a full copy since so am off to have a look on ebay.

I'm sure I've posted in this thread before but haven't (if you see what I mean). Was there a similar one in GD? Anyway, I got into gaming via the consoles (MS, MD etc) so never really had the joy of demos until I got my first PC in around 1997. I absolutely hammered the demos when I first got my PC and ground it to a complete hault.

Age of empires was excellent as was total annhilation. I played both of those many times over.

I also enjoyed quite a few of the early PS1 demos at mates (ridge racer and tekken I think).

I found some saturn demo disks the other day. Was the panzer saga demo clearly labelled like the retail first disc? Just checked ebay and it looks like I don't have it. Anyway, the saturn demo discs I found are sega flash ones, don't know what's on them.

Yeah, it was literally the first disc of the game, like you got with the full game. I'm sure it was.

Looking at those on ebay it seems like it was slightly different and had DEMO written where Disc 1 was on the retail version. Apart from that it doesn't seem any different.

Yep - it was the complete first disc but it definitely said 'Demo only not for resale' on. Black disc with purple logo; the other discs had different colour logos on, yellow, orange and something else I think.

I know this as my copy is missing the first real disc, and has the demo disc in its place. Works perfectly all the way through.

GTA demo was played to death. I never bought the full game, why would I, when I never got tired of running from the police in the demo. The time limit made me much braver and more wreckless then I would if there was something at stake - bumping up the rating level and avoiding the cops for few minutes was no sweat. My other favourite things were getting the biggest chain explosion possible, finding the most expensive car to sell at the docks and running down those Hare Krishnas.

I remember the graphics on the icons that choose the actions the worms preformed was much simplier in the demo - there was something just more - er - basic about the whole demo?

then the game was released - which was ace - just seemed too polished or something?