rllmuk
kerraig UK

A movie watchers blog

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Wow, M? That's really fucking going in dude. Respect. Films from before about 1942 do definitely creak a lot more. And M has some rough edges. But you lasered in on the best parts. How progressive it is, how good the second half is, and that knockout performance from Peter Lorre. 

If you're looking for early gems that really hold up check out The Long Night, Treasure of Sierra Madre, Ace in the Hole, The Third Man, Touch of Evil, A Matter of Life & Death, Double Indemnity and of course, my absolute all time favourite Sweet Smell of Success. 

A lot of them are on my watchlist.

M was on my 12 in 12 list. It's a thing some friends and I do where we pick 12 specific films from our watchlists that we have to watch in 12 months. So basically 1 a month. Obviously I could just smash them all in 2 weeks but ya knows other films, gaming, life etc.

We try to pick ones that are seen as great films but also have rules where there has to be at least 1 animated, 1 black and white, 1 foreign language and 1 documentary.

This is my list for this year. So far I've watched M, No Country for Old Men, Princess Bride and Amadeus. So I'm a little behind on the whole 1 a month thing, but I'll get there.

Screenshot_20190718-233401_Chrome.thumb.jpg.302e96b1d612513974ca6d2b33ee4d58.jpg

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I bought the Game! 

This is an ACTUAL scene from the film. Like seriously. The film feels like its haunted. It's clear that Hollywood at this time was this morally bankrupt brothel run by shysters and gangsters when you watch this film. It makes no sense whatsoever. It was made by Cannon, in partnership with Warner bros because they needed a big star. But it's not even a movie. I don't know what it is. 

I mean what even is this 50 seconds?

There must be some great articles on this film. If not you should write one!

Escape Plan: The Extractors (2019)

A Chinese billionaire's daughter is kidnapped and held in an Easter Bloc prison. It's up to a crack team led by Sly Stallone to get her out. The first Escape Plan was good fun, the second utterly woeful, so hopes weren't high for this, and whilst it is far from a classic it isn't quite so bad. Storywise it's a pretty slack affair, high-status person loses something they care about, the stakes are high, no attempt made to deviate from the norm, in fact they take so long setting up the ultra-flimsy premise you're sat there thinking just get on with it already. The baddies gloat over their captives, the goodies tool up and get tough, but ultimately there's not much else going on. Granted the hand-to-hand is pretty slick and well-shot. In fact I'd say it's easily the best thing about the whole production. Dave Bautista adds a bit of tough-guy flavour but apart from giving someone a good beating and engaging in some CGI gun fighting he isn't well integrated into the story. Sly does what Sly does these days and gives an adequate performance, saving it mainly for the frankly rather anti-climactic finale. At least he's in this for more than a token appearance unlike the second. This film has some of the worst CGI fire out there, one scene has someone burning the plastic cable ties around their hands - worth it to see just how awful it looks. The Chinese money is highly evident here too, with prominent Chinese characters and, I'd estimate, a good 50% Chinese dialogue. At the end of the day the best thing I can say about this is it wasn't as bad as the second, but lacked the novelty and action-daftness of the first by a long way, leaving us with a generic, unsatisfying lack-of-action film.

• Upvote 2

Chtoby vyzhit aka Red Mob (1992)

Rough'n'tumble Afghan war veteran Oleg just wants to take it easy and run his survivalist camp. However, Oleg reluctantly agrees to lead a caravan smuggling drugs and guns across the desert after his estranged son is abducted by some no-count scumbags.

So, what do you do after the fall of the Soviet Union, and all that military hardware's left sitting about?

You make a fuckin action movie!

Michael Bay would shit himself, over some of the stunts in this film.

Not one fuck appears to be given for human life, as people put themselves and others in harms way, for some admittedly awesome looking aerial chases. 

The plot's pure bollocks, the acting bordering on amateur, but what they pulled off with what was probably a pittance of a budget, has to be commended. 

Fans of '80s action cinema should check it out, as that's where it firmly sets up its stall.

I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until recently. 

• Upvote 1

I continually struggle to find films I want to watch. So, typically, I end up watching nothing. Its very frustrating. This thread revived my love of films about a year or so ago, here are some of the gems that I simply would never have come across-

Blue Ruin

The Interview

The Guilty

What can anyone recommend that is something (anything) like those? There is also One Cut of The Dead, but I suppose that is one of a kind really :lol:

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

I continually struggle to find films I want to watch. So, typically, I end up watching nothing. Its very frustrating. This thread revived my love of films about a year or so ago, here are some of the gems that I simply would never have come across-

Blue Ruin

The Interview

The Guilty

What can anyone recommend that is something (anything) like those? There is also One Cut of The Dead, but I suppose that is one of a kind really :lol:

The Offence

Animal Kingdom

Out of the Blue

One False Move

If you liked Blue Ruin, 'Green Room' and 'I don't Feel comfortable in this World Anymore' are definitely worth a watch. 

Animal Kingdom is a brilliant film, not sure why it didn't get more attention. Too Australian maybe? Its

'Hunt for the Wildereople' if you haven't seen it, but I reccomend everyone sees that anyway, even if they've seen it. Doesn't matter. 

11 minutes ago, Percy Filth said:

If you liked Blue Ruin, 'Green Room' and 'I don't Feel comfortable in this World Anymore' are definitely worth a watch. 

Animal Kingdom is a brilliant film, not sure why it didn't get more attention. Too Australian maybe? Its

'Hunt for the Wildereople' if you haven't seen it, but I reccomend everyone sees that anyway, even if they've seen it. Doesn't matter. 

Ive seen all of them :lol:

I liked Green Room, but not as much as Blue Ruin. Animal Kingdom... I must admit I was disappointed with, after all the good things I had heard.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is pure amaze, and I think it was recommended to me on here before. That is definitely one that would have passed me by.

Thanks!

On 20/04/2019 at 22:12, kerraig UK said:

Loro (Them)

(2019) Paolo Sorrentino

Sorrentinos utterly indulgent 3hr30min Berlusconi Bunga Bunga party.

I loved this. It is so sumptuous, languid and Italian. So extra. Like Caravaggio got raped by Mario Testino. It's utterly self absorbed and overly literal, but it also gave me the raging horn.

I know you have a  bit of a rep for exaggeration, here but the Blu Ray version of this is a mere 2.5 hours.  I haven't finished it yet but it is certainly an audio / visual feast with a classic dead sheep incident, and lots of tits.

Overall I prefer il Divo because that is a lot darker.  Both films are similar in that they have as an emotional centrepiece or core a Servillo monologue (or close to a monologue).

5 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I know you have a  bit of a rep for exaggeration, here but the Blu Ray version of this is a mere 2.5 hours.  I haven't finished it yet but it is certainly an audio / visual feast with a classic dead sheep incident, and lots of tits.

Overall I prefer il Divo because that is a lot darker.  Both films are similar in that they have as an emotional centrepiece or core a Servillo monologue (or close to a monologue).

The screening I went to at the Curzon had an Intermission for Bellinis!

Weirdly on IMDB its listed as 1h44m!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

The screening I went to at the Curzon had an Intermission for Bellinis!

Weirdly on IMDB its listed as 1h44m!

That's the length of Act 2 in the original Italian cut - if you add Act 1, the total runtime is 3hrs 24 minutes. The US cut trimmed just under an hour from that, and clocks in at 2hrs 25 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

That's the length of Act 2 in the original Italian cut - if you add Act 1, the total runtime is 3hrs 24 minutes. The US cut trimmed just under an hour from that, and clocks in at 2hrs 25 minutes. 

That's no doubt what Curzon Soho would have shown. I went to the barbican the next night cos I loved it so much 

6 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Man, I miss going to the West End Curzons (and the late Lumiere, and the little Renoir).  

Anyone seen the Chilean film "The Club"?

I loved th Club. The Little Renoir is where I saw The Shawshank Redemption on its dire UK theatrical release

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I loved th Club. The Little Renoir is where I saw The Shawshank Redemption on its dire UK theatrical release

The Club is one of the most intense (claustrophobic) films I've seen recently.  Very disturbing in places.

Finished Loro, probably preferred the last hour to the earlier stuff to be honest.  Can't deny it's a spectacle (+Stooges), but overall I prefer both Il Divo and The Great Beauty.

42 hours on  aircraft  from Thursday to Monday - a lot of movies- very brief reviews

Fantastic beasts and where to find them- I'm not a fan of the entire Harry potter thing or the universe but this was decent, liked the setting, the characters and it tootles along nicely. 3.5/5

Fantastic beasts- the Crimes of Grindelwald- not as good as FBAWTFT, Depp isn't as good or conniving as Farrell and it felt like there was less energy but more bombast. Still not bad. 3/5

The Predator(2018). Cut to fuck for violence and swearing due to airline . Was unrelentingly shite regardless - turned it off. 1/5

Captain Marvel- Brie Larson in another boring Marvel origin story - the script for these just gets tweaked from one to the other with a few cosmetic changes here and there. 2/5

Rampage. CGI gorilla outperforms various human cast including the rock  to be the best actor in an entertaining but thick as bottled pigshit monster movie. 3/5

Battle angel Alita- CGI person outperforms various human cast in entertaining but often silly sci-fi about cyborgs etc. The uncut version is probably  better and gorier. Surprisingly ok. 3/5

Spider man- into the Spiderverse. Another boring marvel(multiple) origin story. Lies,this is up there with Logan as the best superhero movie ever. It's fucking awesome, watched it twice. 4.5/5

• Upvote 1

In The Line Of Duty III (1988)

Jewel thieves get ripped off, a Japanese police officer wants to avange the death of his partner, it all comes to a head in Hong Kong. Third in the series of HK action films, with new lead Cynthia Khan (who was only 20 at the time) taking over from Michelle Yeoh as the ass-kicking HK police officer, this time getting mixed up in a beef with some jewel thieves and a Japanese police officer out for revenge. This will feel familiar to anyone who has seen the first two, with excellent hand-to-hand fighting scenes, gunplay is less satisfying, and humour that doesn't travel well, by all accounts. The final fight in particular is spectacular, with tension right up the very end. As before I can't profess to be an expert on Hong Kong cinema, but as a fan of action this really did hit the spot. Fast, slick, with a plot just twisty enough to make it interesting. Mind you, whoever translated the subtitles didn't do a great job, some of them didn't make much sense, but thankfully you get the gist and just follow the action.

Pontypool (2008)

An early-morning radio show gets reports of a disturbance in the local area that goes way beyond their expectations. Let's be honest here, this is superb horror with real invention. Without giving too much away, this is a highly-original take on a zombie outbreak, handled with precision and style. You're just as intrigued as the crew at the local radio station as to what the hell is going on out there, and the script does wonders building a picture of events elsewhere and how they could have a wider impact, largely through the maverick morning DJ played by Stephen McHattie. Once you get what's actually going on the film takes on a more surreal quality, but I won't spoil it, suffice to say it is unusual and gripping. This is how you do a one-location film. It may be a bit too theatrical for some who are expecting something more visceral, but for those prepared for it this delivers a well-executed, novel story.

• Upvote 3

Letter to Brezhnev

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089477/

Two Soviet sailors, Peter and Sergei, go ashore in Liverpool to spend one night on the town. Peter can speak a minimal amount of English but it's enough to make contact with two Liverpudlian natives, Elaine and Theresa.

I’ve been making my way through English films of the 80’s recently and the latest one on my list was this. Released at the height of Thatacherism on the surface this is a straight love story (two women on a night out meet two Soviet sailors on shore leave, spend the night together and are separated the next day) but it has depths and ideas that take it beyond that simple premise.  

The film follows two friends, Elaine and Theresa, who’ve finished work and hit the town. We learn of their frustrations with life in 80’s Liverpool and their desires to escape. But for one reason or another they can’t break away. They hook up with two sailors and after a night of drinking and romance they learn that working class northeners and Soviets sailors might have more in common than they originally thought.

I wrote a review of My Beautiful Launderette a few weeks back and Zok commented that there was a magic in British films of that era that seems to have been lost now. I’d definitely agree with that and this is another film that seems quite straight-forward but has an indefinable quality that lifts it to another level. It might be the lighting or the music or maybe it’s just nostalgia but there’s something about films from that era that’s been lost.

The 4 leads are fantastic, Alfred Molina and Margie Clark in particular. I loved the way it was filmed, lots of shots of Liverpool in the rain at night, lots of interiors in bars and nightclubs that give the whole thing a real texture. It’s very very political but in a subtle way, no Ken Loach style sermonising, just showing the way people were living at the time. 

I thought this was superb and was surprised to see the director hadn’t gone on to more feature work and did mostly TV stuff. One of those lightning in a bottle moments I suppose.

4/5 

Nashville

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073440/

Over the course of a few hectic days, numerous interrelated people prepare for a political convention as secrets and lies are surfaced and revealed.

This is set over 5 days in Nashville and follows dozens of characters (musicians, politicians, hustlers, scenesters etc) as they go about their lives and we see how they intersect with each other. The internet tells me this is a satire but I didn’t understand what was being satirised - the film is over 40 years old so maybe you had to be there. But none of it seemed satirical to me. 

I didn’t get on with this at all. I couldn’t get invested in any of the characters and it features over an hour of some of the worst music ever recorded (I’m no music snob and I love a lot of country, but this good ol’ boys, old glory shite gives me hives) and some of the most annoying characters ever commited to screen. 

I get that it’s ambitious and has a vast scope but I think I just don’t like this Robert Altman style of film making - lots of small stories that intersect. I think I need a ‘main’ narrative and sub-plots off that. In it’s defence Ned Beatty is good and there’s a hilarious Jeff Goldblum cameo that consists of him riding about on a ridiculous motorcycle. It looks great, lots of wide and deep shots full of great 1970’s faces but I was pretty bored of the whole thing by the end. And it took 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to the end!

2.5/5 

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Letter to Brezhnev

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089477/

Two Soviet sailors, Peter and Sergei, go ashore in Liverpool to spend one night on the town. Peter can speak a minimal amount of English but it's enough to make contact with two Liverpudlian natives, Elaine and Theresa.

I’ve been making my way through English films of the 80’s recently and the latest one on my list was this. Released at the height of Thatacherism on the surface this is a straight love story (two women on a night out meet two Soviet sailors on shore leave, spend the night together and are separated the next day) but it has depths and ideas that take it beyond that simple premise.  

The film follows two friends, Elaine and Theresa, who’ve finished work and hit the town. We learn of their frustrations with life in 80’s Liverpool and their desires to escape. But for one reason or another they can’t break away. They hook up with two sailors and after a night of drinking and romance they learn that working class northeners and Soviets sailors might have more in common than they originally thought.

I wrote a review of My Beautiful Launderette a few weeks back and Zok commented that there was a magic in British films of that era that seems to have been lost now. I’d definitely agree with that and this is another film that seems quite straight-forward but has an indefinable quality that lifts it to another level. It might be the lighting or the music or maybe it’s just nostalgia but there’s something about films from that era that’s been lost.

The 4 leads are fantastic, Alfred Molina and Margie Clark in particular. I loved the way it was filmed, lots of shots of Liverpool in the rain at night, lots of interiors in bars and nightclubs that give the whole thing a real texture. It’s very very political but in a subtle way, no Ken Loach style sermonising, just showing the way people were living at the time. 

I thought this was superb and was surprised to see the director hadn’t gone on to more feature work and did mostly TV stuff. One of those lightning in a bottle moments I suppose.

4/5 

Nashville

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073440/

Over the course of a few hectic days, numerous interrelated people prepare for a political convention as secrets and lies are surfaced and revealed.

This is set over 5 days in Nashville and follows dozens of characters (musicians, politicians, hustlers, scenesters etc) as they go about their lives and we see how they intersect with each other. The internet tells me this is a satire but I didn’t understand what was being satirised - the film is over 40 years old so maybe you had to be there. But none of it seemed satirical to me. 

I didn’t get on with this at all. I couldn’t get invested in any of the characters and it features over an hour of some of the worst music ever recorded (I’m no music snob and I love a lot of country, but this good ol’ boys, old glory shite gives me hives) and some of the most annoying characters ever commited to screen. 

I get that it’s ambitious and has a vast scope but I think I just don’t like this Robert Altman style of film making - lots of small stories that intersect. I think I need a ‘main’ narrative and sub-plots off that. In it’s defence Ned Beatty is good and there’s a hilarious Jeff Goldblum cameo that consists of him riding about on a ridiculous motorcycle. It looks great, lots of wide and deep shots full of great 1970’s faces but I was pretty bored of the whole thing by the end. And it took 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to the end!

2.5/5 

Loved reading every word of those reviews. I am a bit of an Altman fan but I must admit Nashville does nothing for me. 

If you can, try to track down a wonderful film written by Willy Russell called Dancin thru the dark. About a 1980's Liverpool hen night. It's a pure nostalgia trip.

Really enjoyed your use of the word 'texture' to describe these films. Absolutely nails it.

• Upvote 1

Cheers man.

Yeah, Dancin' Thru The Dark is one I will watch. It's one of those films I've watched in the past, probably 25 years ago, that I want to revisit. There's a couple of scenes that I can remember really clearly - there's one in a nightclub toilet where two gangs of lads are squaring up for a fight and one of them points out a big piece of graffiti he'd just done. I can't remember the context but that scene has been in my head for years.

I see the whole thing is on YouTube, I think I'll watch tonight. 

3 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Cheers man.

Yeah, Dancin' Thru The Dark is one I will watch. It's one of those films I've watched in the past, probably 25 years ago, that I want to revisit. There's a couple of scenes that I can remember really clearly - there's one in a nightclub toilet where two gangs of lads are squaring up for a fight and one of them points out a big piece of graffiti he'd just done. I can't remember the context but that scene has been in my head for years.

I see the whole thing is on YouTube, I think I'll watch tonight. 

Its superb. Really 'textured'.

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

Why'd you deleted the Classics thread @kerraig UK? Seemed to have got itself on track and then disappeared. 

Because I posted it during a manic episode and I'm licking my wounds. I'll do it again soon without the pent up alcoholic rage