rllmuk
kerraig UK

A movie watchers blog

5 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Shoplifters
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8075192/

A family of small-time crooks take in a child they find outside in the cold.

This is a Japanese film that was nominated for the Best Foreign Film award at this years Oscars but lost out to Roma. It's about an unorthodox family (grandmother, her two daughters, one husband and one grandchild) who live together in quite a rundown part of Japan. They live on the poverty line surviving and sometimes resort to shoplifting to survive. One night they find a young girl on the side of the street, they hear her parents arguing so decide to adopt/kidnap her.

I enjoyed this a lot. It's quite slow-paced but the characters and story are really compelling. The cast are all fantastic and the little child actors are particularly good. I loved how this was filmed lots of wide and long shots - the wikipedia tells me they used some special film that's known for its grain and it does give the film a certain texture. The lighting also stood out for me.

I liked the way it didn't judge it's characters and just let them get on with what they had to do to survive. Despite being two hours long it never felt like it was dragging. I found the last 20 minutes or so understated and very moving. 

Recommend for sure.

4/5

Not heard of this, sounds right up my street though, cheers!

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

kor-eda is an absolute master at subtle understatement which quietly leaves you emotionally spent. I found the final 20 minutes just perfect.

I've not seem any of his other films. Any one you'd recommend? 

27 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I've not seem any of his other films. Any one you'd recommend? 

I’ve been watching quite a lot of his recently, and they’ve all been brilliant. He’s really consistent. But the stand out for me would be Like Father, Like Son. That film just destroyed me. It also shares a couple of same cast members with Shoplifters. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/02/2018 at 10:31, Goose said:

Slow West (2015)

A teenager employs a bounty hunter for protection as he seeks out the girl he loves in the harsh American west. However, the bounty hunter and others all have their own motives for finding the girl.

This was a stylish, simple and slowly told western, which for something that clocks in at under 90 minutes, is no small task. Kodi Smit-McPhee plays the teen, a boy from Scotland on the trail of a girl he fell for back home. He's intelligent and determined, but also horribly naive in the harsh country he must trek, and the ways of love. Michael Fassbender plays Silas, the bounty hunter, and to be honest he seems to basically be playing Michael Fassbender. While he was completely fine, it didn't really feel like that much different from a number of characters he's played. Essentially rounding out the minimal cast is Ben Mendelsohn, in a small but showy roll as the leader of Silas' old gang. 

The scenery is staggeringly pretty, and the plot, while simple, still holds the interest. Like Rashomon, I suspect there's a lot of symbolism here that completely went over my head. At one point, when Mendelsohn is talking about angels and devils, I wasn't quite sure what the movie would turn into. The music is at times overbearing, yet seems to fit the picture quite perfectly. Considering this was John Maclean's directorial debut, it showed a very good eye, ear and confidence. There's actually little violence in the film, but when it comes, it's sharp, quick and not glorified. McPhee and Fassbender have good chemistry (they appeared together in Maclean's short film Pitch Black Heist in 2011) and at points it seems like a father-son tale or a coming of age film. 

An interesting picture, with some stunning locations, as well as an intriguing journey. 

Rented as was highly recommended recently by I think it was @Glasgowchivas - got to say it’s bugging the shit out of me already. The music has that pretentious art house vibe, the kid needs a kicking and fassbender is just not very good channeling Han Solo. Pity. Maybe it improves ...

EDIT fuck me it’s the kid from The Road :lol: that explains it, he was even more annoying in that

EDIT ok it didnt get better but the ending was worth it ... i got the ending i wanted anyway :twisted:

2 hours ago, linkster said:

Rented as was highly recommended recently by I think it was @Glasgowchivas - got to say it’s bugging the shit out of me already. The music has that pretentious art house vibe, the kid needs a kicking and fassbender is just not very good channeling Han Solo. Pity. Maybe it improves ...

EDIT fuck me it’s the kid from The Road :lol: that explains it, he was even more annoying in that

EDIT ok it didnt get better but the ending was worth it ... i got the ending i wanted anyway :twisted:

Were you live streaming your comments while watching? Must've been dull.

I see that Agnès Varda has died at the age of 90. It's nice to see that in the last few years she has finally been receiving the attention she rightly deserved throughout her long career. Given the longevity of her career, I would argue she might be the greatest director to appear during the French New Wave (even if she doesn't have the name recognition of someone like Godard). Her work was always distinctly hers and shot with great warmth, humanity and imagination. 

• Upvote 2

Deadly Target (1994)

A Hong Kong cop will stop at nothing to extradite an ambitious young Chinese gangster who is trying to muscle in on the LA drugs trade. More 90s action from PM Entertainment although it has to be said this is a pretty weak one. Gary Daniels' HK cop is generally a pretty unlikeable character, a bit of a twat through most of the film, destroying cars and generally pissing off the police. Mind you, he does bring his kick-boxing skills to bear against a legion of baddies, albeit not quite up to Hong Kong standards. Plenty of action including a comedy car chase that felt misplaced. And it has that PM look with night-time locations looking particularly lush, great photography. Has everything you'd expect but it's all a little underwhelming, sadly.

Cube 2: Hypercube (2002)

Another group of strangers find themselves trapped within a network of cube-shaped rooms, trying to find a way out. Whilst the first one was borne on an intriguing premise and had a well-crafted mystery with a bit of gore, this sequel definitely doesn't work nearly as well. It probably likes to think it's a lo cleverer than it actually is, with allusions to multi-dimentional space and quantum physics, but it soon gets messy and makes less and less sense until it reaches an opaque ending.

• Upvote 1

Footloose (1984)

Curious how time plays tricks. I saw this in the cinema, missus is into dance movies so wanted to try it. Turns out I remember almost nothing about it, as it’s really quite an impressive little drama with annoying Kevin Bacon and some 80s montages stuck in, almost like it was done in production and some coked-up suit thought “know what this lacks?”

Lori Singer, Dianne Wiest and John Lithgow are the heart of the piece, with the former going full on Laura Palmer within the stifling little Colorado town where her brother’s death five years ago lead preacher father and the town elders to ban music, dancing, drink and basically fun.

The three are really good but Lithgow gets special mention, there are scenes aplenty that inspired Ned and Maud Flanders, Rev Lovejoy and the rest, but his performance as the troubled minister is really well rounded and anything but a caricature.

• Upvote 1

Disaster At Silo 7 (1988)

A fuel leak at a nuclear missile base causes panic in the local area.  1988 TV movie based on the real life Titan II missile disaster in 1980 where a leak of fuel vapour in an ICBM silo threatened to set a nuke off. I've previously read the superb Command And Control by Eric Schlosser that gives a full account of the actual event along with a history of poor stewardship of America's nuclear arsenal, so was aware of how this panned out. The writers condensed the story well and managed to incorporate some of the larger-than-life characters. Generally good performances especially from the sergeant in charge of the fuel crew (Michael O'Keefe). The script did have a rather heavy-handed religious overtone to it, with the church and faith being important, and it did rather take away from the gravity of the situation for me, making it a tad mawkish. If you don't know about the Titan II disaster this gives a good account of it, but read the book, it is superb. 

Rage (1995)

An innocent teacher ends up on the run after being caught up in experiments to create a clone army. After last night's lacklustre PM Entertainment effort, I thought I'd try another Gary Daniels flick, and let me tell you this is much more like it. There's a set piece escape from a lab early on that is just action, and normally I'd think the next half hour would be a bit dull - wrong. This is bonkers set-piece after bonkers set-piece, plenty of OTT action with just the right amount of comic relief and family-based sappiness. It's almost like the producers gleefully tried to cram even more daft action in, just when you thought it couldn't get any sillier it would (helicopter and skyscraper bit). All well shot and fluid. Gary Daniels doesn't get much of a chance to portray the character, his performance is about 85% action. If you fancy something genuinely exciting and silly you really need to see this.

• Upvote 3

On 30/03/2019 at 21:57, linkster said:

Footloose (1984)

Curious how time plays tricks. I saw this in the cinema, missus is into dance movies so wanted to try it. Turns out I remember almost nothing about it, as it’s really quite an impressive little drama with annoying Kevin Bacon and some 80s montages stuck in, almost like it was done in production and some coked-up suit thought “know what this lacks?”

Lori Singer, Dianne Wiest and John Lithgow are the heart of the piece, with the former going full on Laura Palmer within the stifling little Colorado town where her brother’s death five years ago lead preacher father and the town elders to ban music, dancing, drink and basically fun.

The three are really good but Lithgow gets special mention, there are scenes aplenty that inspired Ned and Maud Flanders, Rev Lovejoy and the rest, but his performance as the troubled minister is really well rounded and anything but a caricature.

Have you watched Raising Cain and World According to Garp? John Lithgow really is one of our greats.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Have you watched Raising Cain and World According to Garp? John Lithgow really is one of our greats.

Did you see the Netflix drama The Crown with him as Churchill?

2 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Lithgow rules in everything. Especially that Stallone mountain flick.

Cliffhanger? I remember loving that in cinema but don't even remember him being in it ...

Wonderful in Planet of the Apes

cliffhanger-lg.jpg

Speaking of Lithgow, I once woke up on the sofa and there was a film with him in, it was some weird thing where he got mugged or something but then he was the villain, and he might have been a psychiatrist or doctor or something, but it was like he was the goodie but then the baddie. 

I was half asleep so my recollections are dim, anyone gaveva clue what film it might have been?

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

cliffhanger-lg.jpg

Speaking of Lithgow, I once woke up on the sofa and there was a film with him in, it was some weird thing where he got mugged or something but then he was the villain, and he might have been a psychiatrist or doctor or something, but it was like he was the goodie but then the baddie. 

I was half asleep so my recollections are dim, anyone gaveva clue what film it might have been?

raising cain

Spoiler

Carter himself suffers from multiple personality disorder.

• Upvote 1

On 30/03/2019 at 21:57, linkster said:

Footloose (1984)

Yeah I think it's those montages that give it that camp 80s reputation but it's not a bad movie at all.

1 hour ago, El Geet said:

Yeah I think it's those montages that give it that camp 80s reputation but it's not a bad movie at all.

And Bacon. He's really quite out of place with the rest of it.

Lords of Chaos
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4669296/
A teenager's quest to launch Norwegian Black Metal in Oslo in the early 1990s results in a very violent outcome.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's a group of Norwegian teenagers start a Black Metal group to express the true 'soul' of Norway. For them Norway's soul is pagan and nationalist. Unsurprisingly this leads to violence.

This is a true story that tells the story of the Norwegian Black Metal scene of the early 90's; the bands, the music, the people, the crimes and the fallout from the whole thing. Rory Culkin plays one of the main players - he ran a record shop that was the focus for the whole movement and recruited a guy who would turn out to be a complete psycho and murderer. 

I thought this was very impressive. The acting is excellent, especially from Culkin. It looks amazing with some great outdoor photography - the church burning sequences are particularly good. It's quite a slow burner but once the violence starts it really grabs you. There's a murder scene that was almost unwatchable it was so brutal. I've watched a lot of horror films over the years but I think it was because this scene was so realistic and because it took the victim so long to die it was very tough to watch. 

I would be surprised if this found an audience but I'm glad I made the effort to see it. One of my favorites of the year so far but you'll need a strong stomach for some of it.

4/5

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Is there something he's in where he's subtle? 

Most of Footloose is like this. To my surprise. When we had that other thread lately, Scary Side Characters, I put Lithgow as one of my first choices cos I saw it quite young and he had that effect, but actually he only does the fire and brimstone stuff once. The scene where he finds Lori Singer partying at the drive thru and gives her some money is just wonderful and really understated, can see his confusion and turmoil and you expect a flipout but he does the opposite

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Love is Strange?

He still seems the more outgoing one of the couple (can only tell from trailers, not seen it yet)