Jump to content
kerraig UK

A movie watchers blog

Recommended Posts

I will say one thing though, all those films you mentioned as "you had to be there" films are from the 80's. That decade I always say is one of the most overrated ever. Something like The Third Man doesn't date, it's as fresh today as it was then. Sweet smell of success (I know I always shout out to it) actually feels fresher NOW than it did when I first saw it because films are so watered down now. 

The 80's is of course a decade full of great films, but they are nowhere near as timeless as the films of the 70's, 50's, 40's... 

 

Back to the Future and Raiders not included, obvs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prime Cut
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/

 

A vicious Kansas City slaughterhouse owner and his hick family are having a bloody "beef" with the Chicago crime syndicate over profits from their joint illegal operations. Top enforcer Nick Devlin is sent to straighten things out.

 

There's a bit in Reservoir Dogs where one of the gangsters says to the another 'I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan'. Tarantino is trying to show how tough these guys are by giving them Marvin as their hero and I'll bet this is one of the films QT had in mind when he wrote that line.

 

Lee Marvin is an enforcer for the Irish mob in Chicago. He gets sent to Kansas to sort out Gene Hackman, a slaughterhouse boss/people-trafficer who owes the mob a pile of money. 

 

This is a tight as hell piece of 70's American sleaze and violence. 85 minutes long including a 2 minute slaughter-house sequence that opens the film. Hackman and Marvin are superb, two bitter gangland veterans who snipe at each whenever they're on screen together. As soon as they meet you know only one will survive. There's loads of sleaze - woman are kept naked in animal pens while waiting to be auctioned and Lee Marvin brings Sissy Spacek out to dinner where she's dressed in a see through dress.

 

I thought this was great. Brutal aggressive gangsters going head to head, nicely shot, well acted, tightly paced and has some really good gun-violence. Directed by Michael Ritchie, a director I'd never heard off but he has made a ton of films. A proper 70's thriller.

 

3.5/5

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Prime Cut
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/

 

A vicious Kansas City slaughterhouse owner and his hick family are having a bloody "beef" with the Chicago crime syndicate over profits from their joint illegal operations. Top enforcer Nick Devlin is sent to straighten things out.

 

There's a bit in Reservoir Dogs where one of the gangsters says to the another 'I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan'. Tarantino is trying to show how tough these guys are by giving them Marvin as their hero and I'll bet this is one of the films QT had in mind when he wrote that line.

 

Lee Marvin is an enforcer for the Irish mob in Chicago. He gets sent to Kansas to sort out Gene Hackman, a slaughterhouse boss/people-trafficer who owes the mob a pile of money. 

 

This is a tight as hell piece of 70's American sleaze and violence. 85 minutes long including a 2 minute slaughter-house sequence that opens the film. Hackman and Marvin are superb, two bitter gangland veterans who snipe at each whenever they're on screen together. As soon as they meet you know only one will survive. There's loads of sleaze - woman are kept naked in animal pens while waiting to be auctioned and Lee Marvin brings Sissy Spacek out to dinner where she's dressed in a see through dress.

 

I thought this was great. Brutal aggressive gangsters going head to head, nicely shot, well acted, tightly paced and has some really good gun-violence. Directed by Michael Ritchie, a director I'd never heard off but he has made a ton of films. A proper 70's thriller.

 

3.5/5

 

 


Well fuck me! This was next on my list to watch! (what are the chances). But Amazon Prime came back with zero results. 

Where did you see this, chief?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Prime Cut
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/

 

A vicious Kansas City slaughterhouse owner and his hick family are having a bloody "beef" with the Chicago crime syndicate over profits from their joint illegal operations. Top enforcer Nick Devlin is sent to straighten things out.

 

There's a bit in Reservoir Dogs where one of the gangsters says to the another 'I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan'. Tarantino is trying to show how tough these guys are by giving them Marvin as their hero and I'll bet this is one of the films QT had in mind when he wrote that line.

 

Lee Marvin is an enforcer for the Irish mob in Chicago. He gets sent to Kansas to sort out Gene Hackman, a slaughterhouse boss/people-trafficer who owes the mob a pile of money. 

 

This is a tight as hell piece of 70's American sleaze and violence. 85 minutes long including a 2 minute slaughter-house sequence that opens the film. Hackman and Marvin are superb, two bitter gangland veterans who snipe at each whenever they're on screen together. As soon as they meet you know only one will survive. There's loads of sleaze - woman are kept naked in animal pens while waiting to be auctioned and Lee Marvin brings Sissy Spacek out to dinner where she's dressed in a see through dress.

 

I thought this was great. Brutal aggressive gangsters going head to head, nicely shot, well acted, tightly paced and has some really good gun-violence. Directed by Michael Ritchie, a director I'd never heard off but he has made a ton of films. A proper 70's thriller.

 

3.5/5

 

 


Also, Michael Ritchie made another film I always go on and on about that few people have seen. Diggstown/Midnight Sting. If you can find it, definitely check it out as its an absolutely brilliant caper movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jurassic Park III (2001, 4K Blu-Ray)

When Alan Grant (Sam Neil) is convinced to give a tour of Isla Sorna to Paul Kirby (William H Macey) and Amanda Kirby (Tea Leoni) he sets off with his protege Billy (Alessandro Nivola). Upon reaching the island he soon realises that he's part of a rescue mission and once again has to avid becoming lunch for the hungry inhabitants.

 

Jurassic Park III is often hailed as the weakest film in the original trilogy and there's no denying that Joe Johnstone simply can't match the raw power of Spielberg's original movie. People moan about the talking dinosaur (it's a dream sequence you idiots) farcical elements and the abrupt ending (which I admit is rather naff) but I'll still defend it for a couple of reasons.

 

The aviary sequence is a wonderfully creepy sequence, highlighting just how terrifying dinos can be, while the spinosaurus and T-Rex fight still makes the little kid in me do back flips. Sam Neil is on fine form as the reluctant paleontologist who is almost as unlucky a film character as John Maclane, while Nivola is decent as his spirited side-kick. Leoni is sadly giving little more than a damsel in distress role, which is disappointing considering how much spunk she's shown in earlier films, while Macey's character at first seems like another of his hangdog characters, but has something of a small character arc by the film's close. The river attack still looks great, but some of the effects do look a little ropey and the model work isn't as strong as the earlier films.

 

Another thing which I find completely hilarious are the many evil eye close-ups of the raptor's and pteradons, suggesting they have nefarious plans that the hapless humans have somehow helplessly stumbled into. It's all silly preposterous nonsense but it's preposterous nonsense with dinosaurs in so I was always going to find it entertaining.

3/5

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I will say one thing though, all those films you mentioned as "you had to be there" films are from the 80's. That decade I always say is one of the most overrated ever. Something like The Third Man doesn't date, it's as fresh today as it was then. Sweet smell of success (I know I always shout out to it) actually feels fresher NOW than it did when I first saw it because films are so watered down now. 

The 80's is of course a decade full of great films, but they are nowhere near as timeless as the films of the 70's, 50's, 40's... 

 

Back to the Future and Raiders not included, obvs.

 

I mentioned those films because those are ones that people here will more than likely have seen as a child or teenager and will have been in pop culture at the time. They are classics but very much a product of their time. I reckon if I'd have seen TPB when I was younger like I did The Goonies I'd look on it more favourably. As a 32 year old seeing it for the first time, it didn't click with me at all. The most enjoyment I got out of it was seeing Andre. Emilia of course loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American Animals (2018)

 

This was fascinating and I really liked the use of the talking heads mixed in with the drama. It's gripping, tense and bizarre. The performances from both the actors and the real life people draw you right in and the use of music is perfect. It's amazing that this is a true story because if someone told you about it, their plan, their ideas and the fact they dressed up as old men to try and steal these rare books, I don't think anyone would believe you.

 

It's worked it's way into my top 10 of 2018

 

4/5

 

Anyone know the old black and white film they're watching at the start?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

American Animals (2018)

 

This was fascinating and I really liked the use of the talking heads mixed in with the drama. It's gripping, tense and bizarre. The performances from both the actors and the real life people draw you right in and the use of music is prefect. It's amazing that this is a true story because if someone told you about it, their plan, their ideas and the fact they dressed up as old men to try and steal these rare books, I don't think anyone would believe you.

 

It's worked it's way into my top 10 of 2018

 

4/5

 

Anyone know the old black and white film they're watching at the start?

 

The Killing. Stanley Kubrick. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

 

The Killing. Stanley Kubrick. 

Ah yes, I remember now I read that somewhere on here and added it to my watchlist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Ah yes, I remember now I read that somewhere on here and added it to my watchlist. 


It's fucking brilliant, Don't read up on it cos its one of those ones like the Sixth Sense where it works the less you know. You can easily spoil it for yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:


It's fucking brilliant, Don't read up on it cos its one of those ones like the Sixth Sense where it works the less you know. You can easily spoil it for yourself

No worries there, I never read up on films before seeing them incase of spoilers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

No worries there, I never read up on films before seeing them incase of spoilers.

 

It'll be really good fun for you cos there's so much movie etymology in there. I'm jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kerraig UK said:


Well fuck me! This was next on my list to watch! (what are the chances). But Amazon Prime came back with zero results. 

Where did you see this, chief?

 

Downloaded it. There was a blurry, sub-titled version on YouTube but it was pretty unwatchable.

 

I'll definitely check out Diggstown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crimes of Passion (1984)

Dir: Ken Russell

Kathleen turner, Anthony Perkins, John Laughlin

 

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS. This is a f u c k i n g sleazeball film. I'd seen it years ago as a kid because I wanted to see Kathleen Turner naked after watching Romancing the Stone. Going back to it some thirty years later it is nutso nuts. Cheap costumes, sweaty uncomfortable softcore porno, shameful dialogue ("Stop trying to get into my panties, there's already one asshole in there").

It doesn't know if its a crime thriller or a fledgling romance. If its sexually liberated or repressed. The score makes porno music sound like Rachmaninov and it waves from Pretty Woman whore with a heart of gold schmaltz to Giallo cross dressing serial killing. 

Quite something. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to see that Prime Cut, sounds great.

 

Diggstown is a tonne of fun. Two great central performances and a superb ending. I liked Good Times too, excellent turn from Pattinson and a wonderful score.

 

Edit: oh man The Killing! I think I saw that and Paths of Glory one after another. Pure moviemaking at its finest.

 

This is such a wonderful thread. So many films that I’d have never seen without it (massive tip of the hat to Kerraig and Silent Runner). 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re The Princess Bride

 

On reflection and having discussed this film with people I think I completely misjudged it and what it was attempting to do. So whilst I still didn't like it that much, I think I'll give it another star. A 3/5 seems fair.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collette

 

Based on a true story, a French literary sensation results from the marriage of a young country girl and a canny publisher

 

 

Second period drama in a week following The Favourite but no hesitation with this one. Engrossing, funny, well edited and fantastically acted, cannot even remember the last Kiera Knightley movie I saw but she is just magnificent in this. Fair play to Dominic West too. Really enjoyed it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad Boys (1995, 4K Blu-Ray)

When a master criminal (Tchéky Karyo) plans an elaborate heist, detectives Mike Lowrey (Will Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) set out to stop them. But first they have to protect the one witness (Tea Leoni) who can be linked to the heist...

 

Michael Bay's first film remains a lot of fun. Sure it's as generic as hell and sure it plays around with every tired trope from the buddy movie, but it's hard to care when it's this entertaining.

 

It's largely down to the superb chemistry between Smith and Lawrence who deliver zingers and one-liners as fast as they fire bullets. Smith plays a ladies man, while Lawrence is the loyal family man but a case of mistaken identity mean they have to play each other. It works surprisingly well, largely down to the pair's improvisation and the fact they're both so likeable. While Karyo delivers a decent turn as the film's villain, most of the cast is fairly one-dimensional with a shouty captain role for Joe Pantoliano and a scared hostage role for Leoni (who does what she can with a relatively limited role).

 

There's some decent gunfights, including a vicious scene in a nightclub and a great car chase at the end, but this is surprisingly light stuff from Bay, but it does mean the focus is always on the two likeable leads. Silly, over-the-top fun.

3.5/5
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gord said:

What is it attempting to do?


It's pretty obvious. Princess Bride is awesome because it plays with the formula of the fairy tale. As Scream is to horror, so Princess Bride is to Disney. Its a masterful and beautifully sweet story, but its told with a wry nod and a wink and a very clever and respectful cap doffing to tropes and traps and villains and romance.

Stig might have gone in expecting something a little less self aware. Maybe almost a bit like Raiders. Raiders is a masterful send up of all the old adventures of the 30s and 40s that George Lucas and Phillip Kaufman grew up with, and it had fun with that formula. But it stayed on this side of send up. Princess Bride pushes its tongue a lot deeper into its cheek than that and has a lot more fun with its genre. 

I can imagine you going into Princess Bride expecting one type of thing and getting another and feeling a little muddled.

What I simply can't imagine is not getting swept away with the quality of the writing and the beauty of the story and the overal joie de vivre of the whole thing

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hedwig & The Angry inch (2001)
Dir: John Cameron Mitchell

Had to return to this after watching the completely fucking batty 'How to talk to Girls at Parties' on Amazon. Oh JCM :( I so so so wanted to love everything you put out there but that was one serious swing and a miss. 

Hedwig is written into my DNA now. I quote it conversationally, I sing it in the bath. In my darkest depression after my break up I had the song 'Wicked Little Town' stuck in my head for 2 straight weeks. Weirdly, watching it tonight, I saw parallels with Contact, which I watched the other night after seeing someone namecheck it in the Disappointing movies thread (spits). 

Both movies boil down to the same thing. Human connection. That the search for truth always brings us back to the same point, that we all just need someone to have faith in us, who we have faith in, to become whole. 

I think films like Hedwig and Contact should be shown in schools, in a class that every child should have to take. Called something like "kid, just don't be a dick". 

I cried. Again. I watched it with a girl who'd never seen it. I think she thinks I'm mental now. But she's just beginning her journey with Hedwig. She'll understand in 18 years time. 

"I'd like to sing something special for you now. This is the first song I've ever written. If there are any budding singers in the audience tonight, you might wanna consider this one. Because we are talking to Phil Collins's people! But then again... Aren't we all?"

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:


It's pretty obvious. Princess Bride is awesome because it plays with the formula of the fairy tale. As Scream is to horror, so Princess Bride is to Disney. Its a masterful and beautifully sweet story, but its told with a wry nod and a wink and a very clever and respectful cap doffing to tropes and traps and villains and romance.

Stig might have gone in expecting something a little less self aware. Maybe almost a bit like Raiders. Raiders is a masterful send up of all the old adventures of the 30s and 40s that George Lucas and Phillip Kaufman grew up with, and it had fun with that formula. But it stayed on this side of send up. Princess Bride pushes its tongue a lot deeper into its cheek than that and has a lot more fun with its genre. 

I can imagine you going into Princess Bride expecting one type of thing and getting another and feeling a little muddled.

What I simply can't imagine is not getting swept away with the quality of the writing and the beauty of the story and the overal joie de vivre of the whole thing

 

Pretty much this. But reguarding that last sentence, the story isn't that unique really is it. It's a tale of love and revenge which I've seen and read a million times in fantasy, but usually without the hammy acting and caricature like characters. I see now what it was trying to do now people have explained this, but I think I'd have prefered something more straight up. Had I seen this when I was between 5 and 12 I probably would be more fond of it, but sometimes kids films just don't always click when you're an adult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

Pretty much this. But reguarding that last sentence, the story isn't that unique really is it. It's a tale of love and revenge which I've seen and read a million times in fantasy, but usually without the hammy acting and caricature like characters. I see now what it was trying to do now people have explained this, but I think I'd have prefered something more straight up. Had I seen this when I was between 5 and 12 I probably would be more fond of it, but sometimes kids films just don't always click when you're an adult.

 

Plus, the score really is fucking awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Reformed

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6053438/

 

A minister of a small congregation in upstate New York grapples with mounting despair brought on by tragedy, worldly concerns and a tormented past.

 

This is another film that appeared on a lot of Best of 2018 lists that I only got around to this weekend. Written and directed by Paul Schrader who has had an interesting career. He wrote a bunch of legit classics back in the 70’s but has lost his way a little in recent years. And his recent directing efforts with Nicholas Cage have been pretty bad.

 

Ethan Hawke is a priest in a small church. He has very few parishioners and his services are only attracting a handful of attendees. At the same time he is having health problems and his sickness seems to mirror the decline of the church. After a visit from Amanda Seyfried he starts to work with an environmental activist who has just been released from prison who is having difficulties in all parts of his life.

 

This was a very tough watch. Hawkes intensity makes for kind some uncomfortable viewing and there’s some really hard scenes. It’s easy to see this is from the guy who wrote Taxi Driver and Raging Bull – it features the same driven, slightly unhinged loner protagonist. It’s constantly surprising and I never knew where it was going.

 

The two leads are superb and I’m sure both will be nominated come awards time. I loved how it looked – it’s has an almost square ratio like Cold War. And the handful of filming locations are beautifully shot.

 

A unique film that was hard to watch but is definitely recommended. And it’s great to see Schrader still has the ability to make something like this.

 

4/5

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

Not sure if thats sarcasm or not, but I didn't like it.


No it''s genuinely really bad. I love that movie but I wish it could be re-scored and re-released. It's so over the top cheese. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

First Reformed

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6053438/

 

A minister of a small congregation in upstate New York grapples with mounting despair brought on by tragedy, worldly concerns and a tormented past.

 

This is another film that appeared on a lot of Best of 2018 lists that I only got around to this weekend. Written and directed by Paul Schrader who has had an interesting career. He wrote a bunch of legit classics back in the 70’s but has lost his way a little in recent years. And his recent directing efforts with Nicholas Cage have been pretty bad.

 

Ethan Hawke is a priest in a small church. He has very few parishioners and his services are only attracting a handful of attendees. At the same time he is having health problems and his sickness seems to mirror the decline of the church. After a visit from Amanda Seyfried he starts to work with an environmental activist who has just been released from prison who is having difficulties in all parts of his life.

 

This was a very tough watch. Hawkes intensity makes for kind some uncomfortable viewing and there’s some really hard scenes. It’s easy to see this is from the guy who wrote Taxi Driver and Raging Bull – it features the same driven, slightly unhinged loner protagonist. It’s constantly surprising and I never knew where it was going.

 

The two leads are superb and I’m sure both will be nominated come awards time. I loved how it looked – it’s has an almost square ratio like Cold War. And the handful of filming locations are beautifully shot.

 

A unique film that was hard to watch but is definitely recommended. And it’s great to see Schrader still has the ability to make something like this.

 

4/5


I loved it too. Ethan Hawke was stellar in a role you'd normally imagine someone like Kevin Bacon doing great things with. Schrader still has the chops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.