kerraig UK

A movie watchers blog

Yes I think you make a very good point - the emphasis completely changes the meaning.

Regarding the print quality of The Godfather, I’m half way through Annihilation on Netflix and it will not snap into HD. Bloody frustrating but goodness, how spoilt have we become? I used to watch sixth gen copies on vhs

5 hours ago, Goose said:

Yes I think you make a very good point - the emphasis completely changes the meaning.

Regarding the print quality of The Godfather, I’m half way through Annihilation on Netflix and it will not snap into HD. Bloody frustrating but goodness, how spoilt have we become? I used to watch sixth gen copies on vhs

Yeah as far as downloads go it’s amazing you can get such quality streaming that we’ve become so used to it. But paying £16 to see a movie i already have on DVD and a nice Plasma TV and getting what I got tonight ... I don’t even thjnk the audio was entirely in sync either 

• Empathy 2

Annihilation (2018)

After her missing husband returns from a mission and falls seriously ill, a scientist joins a team to investigate the phenomenon known as The Shimmer

I thought this was an interesting project that wasn't always successful in its story telling - but at the same time incredibly intelligent and ambitious. The principal cast were very good, Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh in particular. The rest of the team were good but could have done with a bit more fleshing out. I thought the first hour or so was strong, and the picture did an excellent job of setting up a worrying atmosphere. The plants and animals inside the shimmer were fantastic, I loved the flowers, the deer and the crystallised trees. I thought the infamous bear was a frightening creation, but was a bit disappointed in how quickly it came and went. 

The team had a spiky kind of camaraderie, that worked really well. The locations were suitably normal and strangely odd at the same time, like a picture slightly out of focus. I was expecting Event Horizon style horror from the video, so was a bit relieved by what we saw (though it was horrific). However, I think as the picture wore on and it became more focused on one or two people, it lost its way a little. The last twenty minutes were a great experiment, and while not entirely successful, it was still impressive to watch. I didn't mind the lack of explanation for most of the picture, though I would have liked to have known more about the shimmer because it was an interesting concept. The interview inserts and flashbacks were also good.The score was excellent.

I didn't find the picture frightening though, and the aforementioned bear scene didn't have the same effect on me. For some odd reason it reminded me of The Relic. A smart picture that made little concession to if you weren't paying full attention. There were so many  details and incidents that another couple of watches would really benefit it. An interesting, not always successful, but very intriguing and ambitious picture. 

I also very much enjoyed reading the theories and such in the main thread. 

• Upvote 4

Safe Haven (2013) - Segment 3 of the V/H/S 2 compilation

A group of four interview the leader of the Paradise Gates cult.

I thought I'd give this a watch in preparation for Apostle's release onto Netflix next week. Gareth Evans, director of The Raid, is at the helm of this short segment from V/H/S 2 and sees a small team managing to secure an interview with a cult leader in Indonesia. They are allowed access to the cult's compound and find things are a bit off. The leader preaches about this being the day they have waited for, when they will ascend to paradise. Circumstance lead the group to be separated as all hell (literally) begins to break lose. This is a short section (around 25-30 minutes) but manages to quickly establish a number of things. It builds an uncertain atmosphere up from almost the get go, and barely releases any tension.

Once things do kick off, it becomes a shaky-cam exhibition of violence, blood and graphic death. The film barely lets up on the massacre as it unfolds either by suicide or murder, with a nod to the Jonestown massacre along the way. There's some quite shocking imagery and a tonne of blood. The shakey cam stuff is a bit off putting but goes a long way to putting you inside the chaos. I'm not sure I could watch a longer version of this because it is quite intense and vicious with no relief once it kicks off. Evans masterfully directs the chaos, and only really lets down with the final shots of the creature, which is quite weak. The rest however, is a good piece of work, building up an atmosphere of dread very quickly before unleashing some startling imagery and moments. 

Not sure what the other segments are like, but a quick flick through didn't show anything coming close to this part. 

• Upvote 2

The Howling (1981)

After a violent encounter with a serial killer, a news reporter is sent to The Colony to recuperate. 

Another video shop classic that I was always too young or scared to rent. This has quite an odd first forty minutes, and you're not entirely sure where the story is going. The encounter with the serial killer was bizarre, and the film playing in the background must have been pretty shocking for the time. So after that, the reporter played by Dee Wallace, is sent to the Colony by Patrick Macnee's Dr Waggner, a place he runs for people who have had disturbing incidents in their life. Everything is a little off and Wallace continues to have flashbacks, as well as hearing odd noises in the night. 

Once the film got going with the plot, it was quite enjoyable and there were some great makeup and transformation effects. The werewolves were formidable, standing 7 foot tall, with primal roars and claws. There was a nicely shot attack scene in an office, and a couple of bloody sequences. However because the film took so long to get going, everything felt rushed, especially the ending. Wallace was OK, and Macnee seemed to be having a great old time, while the rest of the cast went from decent to quite poor - great to see Slim Pickens though! It had some fun moments and a neat final couple of scenes but there wasn't enough of it. Still, excellent effects and creature design, and the story wasn't bad. 

Enjoyable enough for a Sunday afternoon, but I don't think I'll rush to see the many sequels. 

• Upvote 3

Totally rememebe watching this on a top-loading Betamax :lol:

my friends neighbour pirated everything. He would lend the kid everything. He was a scout master. And yes years later he was jailed for being a pedo. 

Im amazed my mates dad didn’t kill him before it came to trial. He was one of the scariest blokes I ever met.

The howling  is a decent enough werewolf movie though does lag in bits and the end does feel rushed - the movie  helped more by being directed by the great joe Dante and I can imagine it would be less enjoyable if it hadn’t been. My issue has always been the final shot of Dee Wallace transforming she looks more like fizzgig from the dark crystal than a werewolf 

342F06A2-6553-459B-A98A-04A6CAEDF3FC.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

The continuing stories of Sin City and its inhabitants 

I was under the impression that this wasn't much cop, which might be why I quite liked it. It's not a patch on the original and much of what made that a good movie is absent here. A few characters return, Marv, Nancy, Hartigan's ghost, and they're joined by the likes of Josh Brolin, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Eva Green. The film is roughly split into five parts, and characters from each story often appear in others. Most of the stories are new, with only Nancy's being a follow on from events in the first picture. The same art style is used here but this time around it's not quite as sharp and of course, we've seen it before. The stark black and white still looks impressive, especially when splashed with other colours.

The violence is still brutal and vicious but again, not at the same level as the original. However, the nudity is more prolific, mainly thanks to Eva Green, who I think spends more time nude than she does clothed. The new comers are good, with Josh Brolin being the best. He's bitter, angry and still lovesick over Green's character. His section is the longest and likely the most well formed of all of them. The others are ok, but there isn't a great deal to them, and they only seem to serve to further boost the pure evilness of Powers Boothe's Senator. Marv, who had a lot of heart in the first film, was essentially a goon for hire here, while Rosario Dawson came and went far too quickly.

Special mention to Jamie Chung as Miho and Dennis Haysbert as Manute. Eva Green was gorgeous but her heartlessness left no sympathy for the character. On the other hand, Jessica Alba didn't convince as a cold blooded killer/girl on a mission. I think that was part of the problem, there was no one to root for, very little hope and almost everyone was nasty. The film was still quite enjoyable but was the kind of thing I'd not want to watch again. Some striking visuals and a few good action sequences, but only a shadow of the first movie. However, also not the disaster I thought it was meant to be.

• Upvote 1

Utøya 22. juli

A portrayal of the 2011 Norwegian attack, primarily the situation on the island with Breivik. You follow Kaja (an astonishing turn by Andrea Berntzen) as the attack unfolds. 

It could be seen as exploitative by some, but I didn't find it to be so. It doesn't focus on Breivik in the slightest, and it plays out like a war character study. The camera is handheld and constantly next to Kaja as the confusion builds and the extremity of the situation begins to unfold. She is separated from her sister and the fear and worry she suffers throughout is plain to see. There are two scenes which are an absolute gut punch.

Its a very, very tough watch but its handled very well considering the horror of the attack. Greengrass has his version of the attack coming out soon, but it already has its critics from some survivors.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, linkster said:

:lol:

it it is an almost comical amount of nudity 

It really is! Even when she has clothes on, they're see through.

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Watch more gene Hackman 

I don't need to. I've seen most of his work. I know it probably isn't his greatest role but I always thought he was the fucking nuts in it. I saw Unforgiven at the flicks in '92 and loved him. At the same time I was watching French Connection 1 and 2 and The Conversation at home. But Crimson Tide at the cinema in '95 knocked my socks off. He was intimidating as fuck. The smirk! The dog! The shouting! The fucking stogie!

He made that film. Good movie but he pushed it to another level through sheer presence. One of Tony Scott's finest moments.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I don't need to. I've seen most of his work. I know it probably isn't his greatest role but I always thought he was the fucking nuts in it. I saw Unforgiven at the flicks in '92 and loved him. At the same time I was watching French Connection 1 and 2 and The Conversation at home. But Crimson Tide at the cinema in '95 knocked my socks off. He was intimidating as fuck. The smirk! The dog! The shouting! The fucking stogie!

He made that film. Good movie but he pushed it to another level through sheer presence. One of Tony Scott's finest moments.

Yeah you win and I back down. I cannot combat the cinematic reverence of when cinema hits you.

• Upvote 1

Hanna (2011)

A young girl is trained by her father, an ex-CIA agent, to prepare her to face a deadly enemy when the time comes.

I was impressed by this, especially the stunning performance from Saoirse Ronan. She managed to capture a sense of pure child-like wonder, while also being a deadly and efficient killer. This was such a well played part and never seemed over the top. She was more than capable in the action scenes, and yet simliarly at home when just trying so hard to fit in and be normal. I loved the scene when she was on the back of the motorbike, almost like an awakening of feelings. I thought Eric Bana was good too, as the father trying to prepare his child for the worst life will throw at her, while also wanting to keep her safe, knowing that ultimately it won't be his choice. 

Cate Blanchett made for a frightening villain, as cold hearted as they possibly come. She reminded me of Tilda Swinton's performance in Michael Clayton. She was completely unrelenting in her pursuit, so desperate not to be found out. It's possible the character was too evil, so driven was she to close everything off. I did like the family Hanna became part of, the quirks and all made them seem like the real thing.* The actions scenes were used sparingly but they were always well shot and easy to follow. They weren't overly flashy but felt a lot more grounded than the likes of the Bourne series. I think I was a little disappointed there wasn't more action but that whole plot was only partly what the film was about. It felt more like a coming of age story about a girl who just happened to be a trained killer. The soundtrack was well done, and really helped amp up the action sequences no end. 

An interesting picture, anchored completely by Saoirse Ronan's superb, touching and deadly performance. There's so much more going on here than your standard actioner, and it's all the better for it. 

Spoiler

What did happen to the family? Are we to assume Blanchett killed them?

• Upvote 4