Angry Video Game Nerd

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't watch AVGN for months (maybe years) and when I check out his latest the needless Taito slander turns ambivalence into annoyance.

I'm aware it's a character reading lines from a script but I don't recall 'The Nerd' ever celebrating his ignorant stupidity like this.

Maybe I've had too much internet for one day.

He doesn’t write the majority of the episodes now and hasn’t for a while. It’s a product now made by a team of writers rather than a project.

James keeps putting out the videos because it’s too popular for to give up but he’s too tired and interested in doing other things to do it all on his own.

When he is motivated and fully leading the production however it’s still very enjoyable. Those are the episodes most worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Finally!! After about 24 years someone else pointed out how ridiculous Jad the Taff (from: Elevator Action Returns) sounds! 

Years after I first saw it, and did not quite comprehend what the meaning was, it dawned that they probably meant Jad the Tough. Still. Vindication!

I always thought Jad the Taff was a name meant to sound cool to the Japanese audience, something plausibly English / American rather than a misspelling. You're probably right though.

As far as critiquing this episode I thought it was mostly pretty fair - and certainly less dismissive overall than I was expecting.

New Zealand Story is one of my all time favourite games so I'm always hoping someone new to it will gush and fawn over it, admiring any number of its unique characteristics and asking out loud why has this batshit gem with flying duck vehicles fallen into total obscurity?! Of course, it was totally brushed over. No biggie. 

Metal Black getting dismissed as generic / boring felt accurate though. It's such a great game and with one of the finest soundtracks, and gets wilder the further it goes on..but I glossed over it too when I first got these compilations. It didn't sound or look too impressive to me back in in 2006 with the weirdly optimisic 'happy'-vibed music on stage one. I had to wait years later until getting the Saturn port before I played it properly. Now I think it's probably the best horizontal shooter Taito ever made.

• 2 weeks later...