IGNORED

Formula 1 - Codemasters

tyler

Had an interesting online bug earlier today, someone in my party picked full wets for a laugh in sprint mode. When the race started they still showed to the other players as having slicks. On the next race he selected slicks and all the other players saw he had full wets on and a flashing rear light.

This might be PS3 specific, but oh my the stuttering frame rate in sector three in Monaco gave me a headache. I'm not one to notice frame rate issue, but that was horrific. Stopped playing after qualy, as the thought of doing another 23 laps for the race probably would have made me sick.

Actually, it did have far fewer bugs. For me, however, it was fucked by the fact that pit stops were ridiculously long. Every single time.

Longer than forever? :P

One of my favourite bugs tonight was watching the AI take control of cars on the timing screen you get when you've finished a race on multiplayer. Nearly every one went in a straight line off the track smashing into a wall or another driver.

One even glitched out and crossed the finish line in reverse then kangarooed around the screen.

Anyone having the game freeze on loading?

Mine hangs in exactly the same place every time, get past the autosave then as the hints come up it hangs on the third one-every fucking time! It was ok an hour ago!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Corrupted save?

If it's a corrupted save, then the first thing you get on reloading is the opening press conference where you set your name and career length.

What's kinda strange is it sounds like they've only made this decision now. Due to the quality and number of bugs. Otherwise the powers that be had decided "It's done".

Because otherwise they'd already have had a patch in the offing, and they'd have had a patch on release day.

I feel for the guys working on it, and the QA guys who probably went as mental as they could about it and were told "Nope, it's coming out, there won't be a patch".

Still, not already working on a patch, having known all the issues? That's an interesting philosophy.

I imagine they went on holiday as soon as the game was 'done' and have only just returned, then a case of convincing those funding the production of the game that a patch is in their best interests.

A lot of companies would keep going, get the patch out, then go on holiday.

I'm sure they tried to convince those in charge before yet they weren't having it.

It's amazing going through the old pages in this thread seeing all the hype. But this post caught my eye in particular. Get that knife and fork ready Meers - although being Dutch I'll let you roll it up and smoke it instead if you like ;)

I also see split times were mentioned as recently as the end of July. I wonder what happened between then and now to see them dropped.

Seriously though, if this won't be the best F1 game in history, I'm going to buy Blur and eat its manual. On camera.

Is the HRT broken?

I played 3 or 4 online grand prix tonight and as one of the highest ranked i'd be put in a HRT and my lap times we're nothing like what i'd driven! I was awarded a 1:19 in singapore and 1:38 in spa?!?!

Mate of mine had a stupidly quick time in one at Hungary too.

It once again shows you know shit about F1 ;) Kovalainen drives a Lotus, which never even finishes close to 10th, let alone the top 3. Clearly a bug in a game that states the car performance differences are realistic.

I didn't get where the bug was either, especially as you said in your first post you were driving for Sauber! Getting towards the top 3 in a Sauber would still be impressive though ;)

I'm really enjoying this game, but then I'm not looking for the flaws (I try to keep my playing games as entertainment) - had a really great session on Melbourne last night in my second career race, after managing to nail every corner and qualify 6th (dropping me down due to a penalty) to 11th, I set my pit strategy a bit different from the default, set my race to 30% and had a really great 17 laps chasing down kubica and then schumacher (nailing him through the really fast chicane at the start of sector 3) I managed to get my shitty lotus into 4th (given some pitstop that would overtake me during my stop)

Eventually, I came in to my stop and "got away with it" - coming out on my less favoured primes and bombing around for a further 3 laps, I was sitting 7th and thinking "I'm happy with this, time to ease off" - which was my big mistake, second to last lap I spun my car into a wall and lost the nose cone, so I emergency pitted and didn't know you had to break when coming into the box.. Promptly running over my new nose cone man... I was looking at the massive snake of cars on the radar pile past me, and my arch nemesis trulli swanning past me. (it wasn't a bug, it takes an age to get a new nose cone)

I came out of the pits full of rage and determination to get back to at least 20th, (I was 22nd with two in front, including that bastard trulli) - I managed to catch him and the bastard rammed me off. In the gravel, out of the race, I ended up 96 seconds off the leader. from 4th.... :(

And I still had a big grin on my face.

Yes, it's got bugs, but if you suspend your disbelief and just accept a few oddities, it's a great game, (and I can patiently wait for a patch - but knowing CM, it'll probably be 1 patch and thats it)

The most amazing bug I've found though is:

1. go to melbourne qualifying 1

2. go to your engineer

3. press "flying lap"

4. Witness your car on auto pilot drive into the outer barrier of the final corner, every time, at 100+ mph, losing your nose and left front.

5. 100% reproducability.

Jesus, QA need a test plan...

QA is the first department that's getting overruled when it comes to deadlines or commercial pressure. In the end the decision 'it's good enough' isn't taken by QA but by the people higher up who have more interests than just the quality of the product. Sometimes it's necessary to release a product with known issues to meet stakeholder demands or launch within a window of opportunity, and not releasing would be worse than releasing something that should have been better.

This is a calculated risk which may or may not backfire. It seems it's backfiring now, but who knows what the damage would have been if the developers were allowed to finish and fix the whole product, but releasing it after the season was over or after the Christmas rush or after Gran Turismo 5? It may have meant huge losses, very low sales and losing the license. I reckon they expected the damage would have been greater than having to deal with a few disgruntled, vocal gamers who will point their arrows elsewhere after 2 or 3 weeks and lap up F1 2011 just the same.

In my defence, I used to be a lead QA for a games company - I know better than anyone that they get overruled as soon as release pressures come along. And I'm sure that's a known bug, (and to be honest it's only a B class bug anyway which is perfectly releasable) - but it's surprising that it's so bloody obvious.